The final countdown diorama

cuprar

Hi all ive just put an order in for 2 1/144 AJ tomcats and want 2 a6m2 zeros, i want to do the diorama where mr chapman and crew see the zeros and cats from his boat. i know how to make the pva look like water but how do i do the tide lines behind the boat and as anybody got a boat that sort of scale they dont want?

Edited by cuprar

lol ^

interesting dio idea.....should look good, so go get the boat, looks right to me

does anybody make zeros in 1/144?

Going to display my complete ignorance to you....what is the final countdown? Guessing a film, in which case assume i've been living in a cave for the last 20 years

Think of the Nimitz in 1941, complete with Air Wing, Watch for the Alpha Strike against the 1941 era Japanese fleet with EA-6B's to protect against no Radars.

Think of the Nimitz in 1941, complete with Air Wing, Watch for the Alpha Strike against the 1941 era Japanese fleet with EA-6B's to protect against no Radars.

Yep, it's a proper load of old hokum, and the Zeros are the usual hacked-about Harvards, but it's still quite enjoyable in its way.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/

Going to display my complete ignorance to you....what is the final countdown? Guessing a film, in which case assume i've been living in a cave for the last 20 years

Here you go fella

so get the boat and your all set then:)

I'm going to try and build it myself. Lol should be fun

As a film not the greatest, but worth watching for the late seventies US Navy heavy metal. I understand some of it was filmed in the Med (Nimitz being an Atlantic fleet ship at the time). The dogfight sequence is interesting watching the Tomcats split-Sing to stay with the 'Zeros', which were the converted T 6's from 'Tora, Tora, Tora,' One of the other things in the film worth looking at are some good shots of an RF8 Crusader

What I have got so far!

Wooden base

1 x cat and other out of stock at moment

2 x zeros waiting to come

5 ltr of pva glue ( wife got happy thinking it was PVC lol )

5mm clear plastic rods

Plastic card waiting to come

The moment I get it all I'll start building and posting pics

If you watch the Tomcat Vs "Zero" sequence closley you can spot the point when the Cat almost loses it , and has to do a full wind spread, and powerup very quickly , otherwise he's going in!

apparently the flying sequence was filmed off the East coast of the US, , the cat pilots wern't allowed to be paid for their flying , so the Film company put them up in a fancy hotel , all expenses paid , and that also caused a huge row.. still would have been worth it to play they way they did in the movie..

BTW, would a AiM-9 been able to lock onto a Zero's exhaust ?

Good luck witht he dio - hockum the movie may be , but I saw it in the cinema when it first came out , and I have a very soft spot for it ..

well, it may be a load of b******s but it's very entertaining and one of the three most influential movies of my life, the others being Airport and The Battle Of Britain......why dont they make movies like these today?

(and top gun doesnt even come close)

Yes, I saw this movie when it first came out too, so too have a soft spot for it. It is complete tosh, but fun. The ultimate "what-if" film, lol

As for whether a sidewinder would lock onto a zero.....yes. Certainly the models used at that period would have no problem locking on to and tracking a piston engined heat signature.

However, iirc, with the short range involved in the film it would probably knock it out of the sky rather than explode, as it would probably not have time to arm....

Speaking of which....a 20mm six barreled cannon versus an unarmoured ww2 fighter.......hmmmm.....I suspect it would have disintegrated into microscopic bits, rather than spiral, smoking, into the sea..... :hmmm:

Good luck with the dio. Hope someone actually answers ur question, as I'd like to know too....