610 Sqn Meteor F8

rholland

On p.241 of Leslie Hunt's "Twenty-one Squadrons" RAuxAF history there is a photo of a Meteor F8 from 610 (County of Chester) Squadron. The photo is of rather poor quality, but as well as 610's black/white sawtooth bars to the roundel the silver aircraft has a dark (probably black?) top to the fuselage, from the nose to the base of the fin. I cannot discern the serial number, or whether or not the fin/rudder carry any decoration. While there are a lot of colourful RAuxAF Meteors this is the first time I have seen this one. Can anyone provide any further information on this aircraft? Many thanks.

On p.241 of Leslie Hunt's "Twenty-one Squadrons" RAuxAF history there is a photo of a Meteor F8 from 610 (County of Chester) Squadron. The photo is of rather poor quality, but as well as 610's black/white sawtooth bars to the roundel the silver aircraft has a dark (probably black?) top to the fuselage, from the nose to the base of the fin. I cannot discern the serial number, or whether or not the fin/rudder carry any decoration. While there are a lot of colourful RAuxAF Meteors this is the first time I have seen this one. Can anyone provide any further information on this aircraft? Many thanks.

According to Roger Lindsay's 'Cold War Shield, RAF FIghter Squadrons 1950-1960' it was WH384/F and the decking was black. It has an a-a side view taken from slightly above. if you have an interest in the Meteor you must beg, steal, buy or borrow this book, it is Meteor Heaven and is my Desert Island choice.

There is also a picture in the aerofax book on the Meteor with a picture of 610Sqn Meteors some with the black marking on the spine, with a combination of black anti-glare panel some with black canopy frames and some with Sqn badges on the engines you can make out the aircraft letters on some but not serials.

Dek.

According to Roger Lindsay's 'Cold War Shield, RAF FIghter Squadrons 1950-1960' it was WH384/F and the decking was black. It has an a-a side view taken from slightly above. if you have an interest in the Meteor you must beg, steal, buy or borrow this book, it is Meteor Heaven and is my Desert Island choice.

You beat me to the draw! Agree that this book is the "Go To" reference book for Fighter Command in this period: straight into the Top Ten as a standard reference, right up there alongside "Fighter Squadrons of the RAF", "Bomber Squadrons of the RAF" and the various FAA titles by the late Ray Sturtivant and collaborators.