Phantoms in Falklands

Pablo

Hi, my name is Pablo from Argentina, I need your help for this project, I´m interested in doing a F-4J(UK) Phantom in service in falklands islands after the conflict, in 1/72 which decals do you recommend me ??? and according to your knowledge which is a better seat for this model ?

this from pavla

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PAVS72001

of this from aires

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE7086

many thanks !!!

Hi Pablo,

Unfortunately, the F-4J(UK) never served in the Falklands (I could be wrong though). The J's were purchased to bolster UK air defence after 23 Squadron went down to the Falklands.

So if wanting a Phantom from the Falklands, you'll need a FGR2 - Best one available if you can get hold of one is from Fujimi.

Hi Pablo,

A word of caution with your F-4J(UK) F.3 build to note is that 74 squadron never deployed to the Falklands with the J model Phantom. Only 23/29 Sqdn went down after the conflict with FGR.2's , followed by a Flight based unit taking over later on. Crews were drawn from most RAF Sqdns.

As for decals there is a lot out there just check on Hannants site. The Pavla seat looks a better shape to me.

I hope this is of use,

Brisey.

Hi Pablo,

Unfortunately, the F-4J(UK) never served in the Falklands (I could be wrong though). The J's were purchased to bolster UK air defence after 23 Squadron went down to the Falklands.

So if wanting a Phantom from the Falklands, you'll need a FGR2 - Best one available if you can get hold of one is from Fujimi.

Hi Rob P

I'm far from the right person to be giving advice on Phantoms but in about October 1982 HMS Illustrious left total exclusion zone after three crab (RAF) Phantoms came to RAF Port Stanley. I know because I saw them every day when we 'popped' in to Stanley with 845 Sqdn (Falklands det) ex 847 Sqdn. the noisy buggers used to wake me up when I was off watch as they thundered over the inner sound.

If my memory serves me they might have even lost one due to engine FOD/failure.

The where big grey noisy buggers and still in country when I finally got to go home in December 82 seven months after leaving Blighty. :toilet: all the way back in a C130 on the bog.

Cheers the Woo

Hola Pablo

I served on the Tigers, so will confirm that no F-4J(UK) ever served in the Falklands; the 15 jets only served in the UK Air Defence role, although this did mean deployments overseas, mainly in Europe (in fact, I think only in Europe); this was, as correctly stated, to initially fill the gap left by the deployment of 29 Squadron (which became 23 Squadron, and then 1435 Flt) to the Stanley. But, if wanting to do a 74 Squadron Phantom, whether it be a J or FGR.2, I would Xtradecal X72106; 74 Sqn history, as it's the only sheet that is readily avialable. If you're wanting to do a jet based on the Islands immediately after the conflict, you need a (Fujumi) FGR.2, in 29 Squadron markings.

Both of the seats you've mentioned are the same, so it would be a matter of choice.

That is all; my work is done.

Hi Rob P

I'm far from the right person to be giving advice on Phantoms but in about October 1982 HMS Illustrious left total exclusion zone after three crab (RAF) Phantoms came to RAF Port Stanley. I know because I saw them every day when we 'popped' in to Stanley with 845 Sqdn (Falklands det) ex 847 Sqdn. the noisy buggers used to wake me up when I was off watch as they thundered over the inner sound.

If my memory serves me they might have even lost one due to engine FOD/failure.

The where big grey noisy buggers and still in country when I finally got to go home in December 82 seven months after leaving Blighty. :toilet: all the way back in a C130 on the bog.

Cheers the Woo

Yep, they were FGR2's in the Falklands, not F-4J(UK's). I should have been clearer.

Hi Pablo.

Only three Phantoms served in Falklands and this happened only after the end of the conflict. Actually, they didn't take part in the conflict, but were sent in the island (Stanley airport) just to protect it from air attack.

You have to choose from these three FGR2's: XV466, XV468 and XV484.

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling.

Cheers.

Yannis :bye:

Hi Pablo.

Only three Phantoms served in Falklands and this happened only after the end of the conflict. Actually, they didn't take part in the conflict, but were sent in the island (Stanley airport) just to protect it from air attack.

You have to choose from these three FGR2's: XV466, XV468 and XV484.

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling.

Cheers.

Yannis :bye:

Not quite.

Full list from Mar - Jul 1983:

XV426:Q

XV464:U

XV474:P

XV484:C

XV423:D

XV402:(A)

XV495:N

XV466:(E)

XV419:(G)

and the wreck of XV468.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people, many thanks for your replies, and sorry for my delay, I was a bit busy and with my computer waiting for a new power supply :)

Well, now I know that I was confused with those UK phantoms models, is almost impossible to get one fujimi phantom FGR2 here, so ebay looks like the better place to get one, well, many thanks for all the info for this project!.

---------

Pablo

Not quite.

Full list from Mar - Jul 1983:

XV426:Q

XV464:U

XV474:P

XV484:C

XV423:D

XV402:(A)

XV495:N

XV466:(E)

XV419:(G)

and the wreck of XV468.

Peter

Hi Peter.

Your list is really interesting.

My information says that only three Phantoms were sent to Falklands, in August 1982 (XV484/C, XV466/E, XV468/W). So, if during Mar-Jul 1983 more FGR2's were sent to the island, then it's very possible the list you've provided may be real. ^_^

If you have any link(s) with further information, please give it/them to us. B)

John

Hi Pablo,

I had the opportunity to revisit the Falklands in 2009 and saw this F-4 Gate Guard at MPA.

Serial is XV409 [H]

hope this helps

Mike

XV409H-GateGuardMPA.jpg

It's been kept in nice condition, or is that the 4 seasons in one day climate that has preserved it?

It's been kept in nice condition, or is that the 4 seasons in one day climate that has preserved it?

I went in November, which is the start of their summer, and it was snowing heavily :raincloud: . By the end of the day it was bright and sunny again :coolio:

Mike

Hi Peter.

Your list is really interesting.

My information says that only three Phantoms were sent to Falklands, in August 1982 (XV484/C, XV466/E, XV468/W). So, if during Mar-Jul 1983 more FGR2's were sent to the island, then it's very possible the list you've provided may be real. ^_^

If you have any link(s) with further information, please give it/them to us. B)

John

Your info is wrong; I was at RAF Stanley from Nov 82 to Apr 83 and I can personally confirm that info is correct. Ten FGR2s were deployed with XV468 damaged in a landing incident and was beyond repair in theatre - they had all arrived by end of Sep 82. Those three were most likely the first to arrive. In time the aircraft were rotated and of course dropped to four aircraft when it changed to 1435 Flight.

Geoff

Wouldn't that be the "Phalklands"?? :)

Can anyone else NOT BELIEVE that it's soon to have been THIRTY YEARS since General Galtieri (anyone remember him?) decided that discretion wasn't the better part of valour and invaded the Falklands? Good god, where does the time go? Seems like yesterday.

J

Your info is wrong; I was at RAF Stanley from Nov 82 to Apr 83 and I can personally confirm that info is correct. Ten FGR2s were deployed with XV468 damaged in a landing incident and was beyond repair in theatre - they had all arrived by end of Sep 82. Those three were most likely the first to arrive. In time the aircraft were rotated and of course dropped to four aircraft when it changed to 1435 Flight.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff!

I might be wrong as i know that only three arrived there but...it's more possible that more than three were set on the island.

Thanks for the info, mate!

Yannis

The key to this all is that the RAF didn't decide to buy 15 F-4J's (some were blue and some were grey, as the squadron song went, but that's another story) to replace 3 FGR.2s. The deployment of FGR.2 from 29 Sqn was followed by a full squadron deployment (eventually as 23 Sqn), which left a hole in the UK Air Defence Region and commitments to NATO. As such, the J's were purchased.

That is all.

Wouldn't that be the "Phalklands"?? :)

Can anyone else NOT BELIEVE that it's soon to have been THIRTY YEARS since General Galtieri (anyone remember him?) decided that discretion wasn't the better part of valour and invaded the Falklands? Good god, where does the time go? Seems like yesterday.

J

Yes it is quite scary how quickly time flies by.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

This could run and run...

Our very own Phantom XV401 had a trip South too, not mentioned in your lists above (fine pic by tom gibbons with 1435 flight nose badge) on airfighters.com

This aircraft is still in one piece at our Boscombe Down collection, and we have the complete history of its service time, served with most Phantom squadrons/ OCU, ending its days as 74sqn, black finned coded 'I'.

Any others people know of that still exist??

Regards

Rob