1/350 Nagato + Lionroar

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help myself but to keep on coming back to look at your build, If I could print a huge poster of it for my workshop as inspiration, I would! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Jockster.

That is a true work of art, the PE work is fabulous....

I do have one small question, in view of your obvious huge attention to detail.

I have a hunch (but I am not sure) that such a ship would use stud link anchor chain cable, as almost 100% of big ships do nowadays.

Stud link avoids huge bending stresses on the links and 'cable lock'. Seen any photos of the cable?

Just a thought..... and the finished model is a masterpiece.

Hi Jockster!

I used Vallejo Model Air acrylic paints - Dark Sea Grey for the superstucture and Hull Red for the... err... hull. For the wash, I just used a flat black oil-based paint thinned way down, applied over Future Floor Polish followed by a flat varnish.

And Mister Surveyor (and I've paid a few bucks to marine surveyors, being a sailboat owner *wink)..to be honest I am unfamiliar with stud link anchor cable vs regular chain, maybe somebody else here can answer that?

foxy! watching your Warspite build...awesome!

Thanks for your comments everyone! -Tim

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Mr Numb,

I normally survey the larger floating things... they're easier :winkgrin:

There are 2 types of anchor chain, stud link and open link., the difference being that stud link has a stud in each link, open link doesn't.

Googling 'stud link' will explain.

Stud link is available to the modeller but I am not sure if it goes small enough for the purposes of Nagato (and indeed the 'Warspite' I happened to leave for myself under the Christmas tree)

But I am pretty sure Nagato had stud link cable, which can be seen if this link is magnified

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Japanese_Battleship_Nagato_1946.jpg

I'm not sure this makes a huge amount of difference to your model..... which is about the most intensely detailed model I've ever seen, I am completely in awe

Mr Surveyor, thank-you for the additional information re stud link chain. Is that type of chain available for the hobbyist? I just used craft store chain that looked about the right size, but if there is stud link chain available I would certainly use that if it was employed on the orig ship.

That is some brilliant detail work, you probably sick of being asked how you paint the brass now but...... good luck with it

Hi Forlornhope and thanks for your kind words. The Nagato is finished, I'm leaving it as you currently see it. Weird I know, but it looks quite nice in person ...and for some reason, women really seem to like it. Dunno why, they hardly glance at my Yamato in traditional finish, but the brass Nagato gets alot of eyeball time and comment.

Thanks for viewing my post and Cheers to all on britmodeller.com! Tim/Canada

IMG_1445.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Seeing that the king of PE has started an Akagi thread, I just thought I would bump this up for the benefit of those members who haven't seen this before!

• Like 1

Rather beautiful, isn't it?!!!!

Tim, this should be in a model magazine, or has it already? Like HMS Hermes, Broadsword and Yarmouth by Andrewa, models that really inspire. Gushy, but true!

• 1 month later...

Did you ever do the Iwo Jima in the end?

Al

Hi Al! I got about a month into my Iwo Jima and then I recieved a commission offer, so I put it on hold. Here's a pic of the Iwo Jima radar tower I had done before I stopped working on it:

IMG_1576_zpse6caae87.jpg

And here's a couple pics of the commission:

IMG_2174_zps6dc7539f.jpg

IMG_2201_zps0043484c.jpg

And a last one of the brass Nagato:

IMG_1426.jpg

And then I decided I wanted to do a full blown Agaki when my local hobby shop owner said it was the most complicated production kit in the world. I love a challenge ;)

And thank-you very much Jockster!!..and Rob too! Cheers, Tim

**edit** Wow, just noticed this thread has over 20,00 views! Thx everyone!

• Like 5

How the HECK did I miss this 1st time around?!?!?!

Tim, I am in awe of this build..... :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Not sure the Akagi is the "most complicated production kit in the world", tho.... Not straight OOTB anyways... With all the under-deck PE stuff, however!!

If ya want complicated, Try the Revell oil-rig.....!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got Nagato sitting in her box, and boy it's a big box from Hasegawa. She's a beautiful ship and you have done an absolutely amazing job. An inspiration to all of us who are inspired to build her one day.

Thanks

BillyD

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Totally stunning work. I was following you too with the Akagi and both are incredible.

I would like to ask one question about your work proccess about railing. In the very first photos of Nagato, in the main gun towers, I can see that railing fits on their verticals supports, and not on lowest horiontal base, as the normal railing has,. That is so, from a particular P.E company, or you eliminate this lowest base?

Thank you for the clarification, in advance