1/350 Nagato + Lionroar

At the risk of upsetting some folks, I am finishing this Nagato similar to one below (with a few adjustments of my own):

I would never let that be a consideration in my modelling! Hope you can finish yours to the same standard as your Yamato.

Al

and i sincerely hope you don't decide to paint all the PE afterwards, it would be beyond frustration to get it looking natural!

Good decision to fill the "Excel spreadsheet" plating lines on the hull, a surprising oversight from Hasegawa there?

Al

• 2 weeks later...
and i sincerely hope you don't decide to paint all the PE afterwards, it would be beyond frustration to get it looking natural!

Good decision to fill the "Excel spreadsheet" plating lines on the hull, a surprising oversight from Hasegawa there?

Al

yes Al, quite disappointing of Hasegawa to not correct that look..then they released Mutsu a yr later with the SAME HULL!!! I don't know about manufacturers sometimes.... ;)

I wanted to thank all for their comments thus far...its appreciated believe me!

... I will have a nice update in the next couple of days, but for now here is some of the detail I have been adding to the model (all portholes are now drilled and capped, for instance) ...the part below is held upside down to illustrate

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

**edit -sorry for fuzziness of pics, camera is about 1 inch from subject and I do not have a macro lense, my apologies

Comments and suggestions are most welcome! Thanks for viewing my post! -Tim/Maritmes/Canada

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, I'm simply blown away by the quality of your PE work. If I could master that stuff 10% as well as you I'd die a happy man! That is just simply outstanding modeling. My C-in-C has commented on several of my builds, and trust me, they didn't look anywhere near as good as yours, that it seems a shame to cover all that PE detail work with paint and she has urged me to do one leaving the PE in the bright. Not sure if I will or not - paint hides a multitude of sins and errors - but it is an attractive idea. In your case, Nagoto is so rich in PE detail that it truly does seem a shame to cover it, especially as clean as your work is. My compliments on an outstanding build.

Bob

Thanks very much Bob! I am still unsure as to how this will turn out in the end, but we'll stick with the plan until then. I was looking at the model yesterday and estimated about 20-25 hrs work to re-paint in a traditional fashion if that became the choice, but we'll see.

IMG_1070.jpg

ditched the side marker lights kit parts and made some with clear styrene tube drilled out slightly on the bottom with paint inserted into the drilled hole, then dunked in Future floor polish:

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

additional detail added to superstructure base and portholes drilled and capped:

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

prop parts:

IMG_1066.jpg

rudder detail:

IMG_1057.jpg

I will have more pics in the next day or two of the finished and joined hull and also the next superstructure level...thanks for viewing my post and comments and suggestions, as always, are most welcome! -Tim

• Like 1

My suggestion is to keep on doing what you do. It actually is inspiring me. I know we say that

sort of thing a lot on BM, but in this case I actually mean it. Each time I drop in to see your

etchings, I get more impatient to start mine. I plan to leave a certain amount of my build

(Suvorov) in bare brass too. It will contrast well with the black painted superstructure and

in 1905, the poor old tars were still polishing things like railings and portholes. I fear that I

won't achieve your crisp and precise etch work without a lot of practice though; so please

keep up the tutorials here. Thanks for sharing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys and thanks for your comments! Not much new, but got decks 7 and 8 on the superstructure done:

deck 7 assembled and installed on superstructure

IMG_1101.jpg

deck 8: those japs were big on binoculars :)

IMG_1104.jpg

*edit* well, just noticed in the pic...there are two distinct ejector marks on the outside binocular deck, hmmm...guess nothing a couple of ammo boxes won't hide, but despite the small flaws (and the one big one of course, the hull lines) the kit fits together wonderfully so far.

Thanks for viewing! -Tim

• Like 1

This is a joy to watch!

deck 8: those japs were big on binoculars

They sure were, despite not having radar their optics were so superior that they nearly always got the first punch in during night engagements.

Al

Hi Al and yes about the Japanese propensity for optical...I read that the Japanese also believed, on a whole, that they actually had superior eyesight to Caucasians, particularily their vision in darkness. Don't know if its true, I somehow doubt it, but hey... Anyway another small update, deck 9 of superstructure:

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Type 13 radar:

IMG_1138.jpg

Thanks again for viewing and comments and suggestions are welcome. -Tim

• Like 1