1/48th Hawker Hunter from Italeri

rod mcq

Sadly, Wonderland is going to miss out on my order.

I shot off an order for two to them yesterday; they responded almost immediately confirming the order and noting postage at fifteen quid. Fair enough, I said, considering how far the parcel's got to come. Today they emailed me to say that the postage from Edinburgh to Australia is actually FIFTY quid - that is, almost double the cost of the kits!! Far too rich for me; I'll wait until they become available locally (if ever ...). I'm not having a shot at Wonderland; it's not their fault, they're just the bearer of the bad news - but even OzPost isn't that rapacious! Lord knows what effect charges like this are having on your exports, though ...

It depends how heavy the kits are - if they are over 2 Kg for the pair packaged up, I can well believe that price. As an On-line retailer here in the UK, I know once you go over 2Kg Royal Mail becomes vastly expensive, especially if you want to use registered post for extra security. I'd be curious to know the weight of one of the kits by themselves.

thanks

Mike

Trouble is, most carriers price their service as much by the dimensions of a package as its weight. Having said that, 50 quid still seems like a rip-off to me.

I say that because I sent a package to Australia a couple of weeks back that was bigger and much heavier than a couple of Hunter kits and it only cost £48, and that included tracking and extra insurance cover for up to £250.

Trouble is, most carriers price their service as much by the dimensions of a package as its weight. Having said that, 50 quid still seems like a rip-off to me.

Royal mail does do volumetric pricing however only really kicks in at something the size of the nimrod box. The hunter does not come close to that,

Julien

See post # 73.

Phil

It depends how heavy the kits are - if they are over 2 Kg for the pair packaged up, I can well believe that price. As an On-line retailer here in the UK, I know once you go over 2Kg Royal Mail becomes vastly expensive, especially if you want to use registered post for extra security. I'd be curious to know the weight of one of the kits by themselves.

thanks

Mike

Aditionally - and I'm not totally certain either way - I think that the nose is too bulbous! If you compare the overall shape to that on the Revell kits it ceratinly looks so - from certain angles anyway. I've been building an Academy FGA9 (another back burner project!) and had planned to hack away at the nose with some serious sanding. I'll dig the kit out soon and have another look.

Now, bearing in mind I've built a few of these models - without any nasal modification - it was only when looking at some photo's of my models that I noticed that there could be something wrong. This could of course be the angle of the camera, but there again....

fga91.jpg

I've compared the overall shape of the nose area on the Academy kit and compared it to the Revell Hunter's . The windscreens lower frame (i.e. where it meets the fuselage is almost parallel to the c/l of the kit- as it should. The Academy kit's windscreen slopes up towards the front. I'm building another FGA9 at the moment (another chance for a KUTA) so will try to correct that fault and see if that improves the nasal shape......

Hi Bill,

A while ago I took some measurements from a Hunter and scaled them down to compare with the Academy kit. The aim was to find out if Academy had indeed made the nose too 'bulbous'. I posted the results in a thread on here which I'll see if I can find. As I recall, the conclusion was that the Academy kit is a little too 'rounded', but not too badly and it doesn't really stand out on a finished model in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Bill,

A while ago I took some measurements from a Hunter and scaled them down to compare with the Academy kit. The aim was to find out if Academy had indeed made the nose too 'bulbous'. I posted the results in a thread on here which I'll see if I can find. As I recall, the conclusion was that the Academy kit is a little too 'rounded', but not too badly and it doesn't really stand out on a finished model in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

I daresay it looks worse on my model above Mark, due to the angle of the lens. But, there's definitelly something amiss with the windscreen....I think that the lower frames need to be parallel to the c/l. I'll remove enough plastic on mine and re-position my windscreen (and adjust the rear of the winscreen accordingly)to see if that looks any better......

I daresay it looks worse on my model above Mark, due to the angle of the lens. But, there's definitelly something amiss with the windscreen....I think that the lower frames need to be parallel to the c/l. I'll remove enough plastic on mine and re-position my windscreen (and adjust the rear of the winscreen accordingly)to see if that looks any better......

Bill, your model looks wonderful, but I take your point. As for the lower windscreen frame, yes, you're absolutely correct - the real Hunter frame does slope down very, very slightly, but Academy have it sloping far too much. It seems the Hunter windscreen is a tricky one for kit manufacturers to get right as Revell have the armoured panel on theirs, in 1/72nd at least, noticeably too broad.

As for the bulbous nose, I've finally found the thread where I posted the measurements I made. In it, I sound like some sort of crazy Hunter-obsessed anorak, but I don't mind because that's exactly what I am! Anyway, here it is - clicky.

Cheers,

Mark

For anyone who is interested Italeri now have details on their website including sprue shots. Looks to me like the Academy moulding - but both F6 & FGA9 tail pipes are included on one of the sprues, not sure if thee have been any other amends but i'm sure somebody else will be abel to tell. Nice decal sheet included for 6 options.

Think i will be getting one!

Cheers

Simon

Yup, that's our old friend the Academy moulding alright - with no amendments whatsoever. The same useless cockpit is there and the same abysmal FGA.9 tail-piece. As confirmation, the plastic still has "Academy" moulded into it! Decent decal options though.

Nevertheless, it's still nice to see a 1/48th Hunter available again and I'm sure I'll buy one - I just hope its re-appearance doesn't put off any other manufacturers from producing a more accurate one.

Bill,

you are right about the windscreen on the kit. Attached may help you see where they have gone wrong. I'll be getting one or three as the basic kit still looks good.

Hunter_FGA9_45Sqdn_Badge_Detail.jpg

HTH

Dennis

Bill,

you are right about the windscreen on the kit. Attached may help you see where they have gone wrong. I'll be getting one or three as the basic kit still looks good.

Hunter_FGA9_45Sqdn_Badge_Detail.jpg

HTH

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Good to see that the kit has both F6 and FGA9 parts included....I'll certainly try to amend the canopy on mine - I reckon by sanding this area down a better profile will result - we'll see!!!

Now on Italeri website:

Clicky

Decals for RAF and Swiss, Dutch, Indian, Singaporean Air Forces.

I've just wizzed a F6 kit out of the stash (destine for the loft) it sprue layout is the same (not sure of the differences between the FGA9 kit and the F6, but the placement is identical, so this is the acadamy kit ;)

Dave

Not sure about the colour on those roundels though, after looking at the pictures, I'm glad I have replacement to hand

399007413.jpg

It says Academy on the sprue of the fuselage as well, so that pretty much confirms it :)

LOL never noticed that, :)

I've just wizzed a F6 kit out of the stash (destine for the loft) it sprue layout is the same (not sure of the differences between the FGA9 kit and the F6, but the placement is identical, so this is the acadamy kit ;)

Dave

Not sure about the colour on those roundels though, after looking at the pictures, I'm glad I have replacement to hand

399007413.jpg

I have an issue with Xtradecal RAF Post War roundels..the red is very often far too dark - it should be the colour of a Post Office pillar box when applied! Those on your sheets look okay from here though!

I've not seen the Italeri boxing yet, but I know that the decals in the Academy boxing were pretty awful....

I have both kits, but I don't fancy unbagging them

Does anyone know the difference's between the F6 and the FGA9 (ie is it just the tailpipe) which I have replacements for both Anyway !!!

I presume as both kits can be used on the heritage conversion the differences can't be many!

Cheers In advance

Dave

Yeah, that's the Academy kit. Oh, well - there's always hope that Airfix will do one.

As for the differences between the two kits, I don't know as I've never actually owned the FGA.9 kit, only two of the F.6 kit. I can't imagine there are that many other differences though. The flaps, perhaps, and stores/armament.

Edited by Paul Bradley

Could it be a rebox of the Acadamy one?

Yes. See Italeri's website - they haven't even removed the 'Academy' label from the sprues!

• 1 month later...

It's the Academy Hunter after all,the tiny bang seat is still there but at least there are now decals for Indian,Dutch and Singaporean hunters.Funny though I can't find the aerial blade for the Singaporean Hunters anywhere in the sprue.

Very nice, I picked up a couple of cut price decal sheets for the Hunter in 1/48 many years ago, now I can use them ^_^