RAF Harrier GR.7/9 1/32

Piero

Nice to see more progress, hows the main painting going?

Can't believe how much Trumpeter messed up the tanks, the tanks mounting lug don't line up with the pylon attachment points!!

Are the Hasegawa A-4 tanks good?

Shaun.

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of weeks has passed and finally I managed to put the decals on the model.

The Model Alliance / AIRframe “Harrier Retirement Special “decal sheet looks gorgeous, very complete.

But I have to say the sheet has two problems, one very annoying… all the stencils that should be in Dark Sea Grey are printed on a violet /purple / blue hue.

Once the stencils were put on the model over the Dark Camouflage Grey color I had to overspray them with a light mist of Dark Camouflage Grey color to turn off violet /purple hue.

Other than this, some decals are a bit “oversized”, especially the mission markings on the muzzle. The yellow “rescue rettung” arrows stencils, to be placed under the cockpit, are not correct for the ZD433 machine, so I have to got a couple form the Zotz decal sheet “Harriers over Albion”.

Ok, let me show some pics of the model at the moment.

GR79_152.jpg

GR79_153.jpg

GR79_154.jpg

GR79_155.jpg

GR79_156.jpg

GR79_157.jpg

GR79_158.jpg

GR79_159.jpg

GR79_160.jpg

Some of the loads were finished too: SNIPER pod, EP2+ LGB, fuel tanks, BOL launchers.

GR79_147.jpg

GR79_148.jpg

GR79_149.jpg

GR79_150.jpg

Other are still working on: RAIDS pod, AIM-9 drill, AGM-65 drill and launcher.

GR79_151.jpg

CIAO!

Piero

Edited by Piero

Hi Piero

Fantastic progress Piero but I'm sorry to hear of your problems regarding the decals.

"But I have to say the sheet has two problems, one very annoying… all the stencils that should be in Dark Sea Grey are printed on a violet /purple / blue hue."

This is due to the constraints of the Pantone swatches available for matching Dark Sea Grey. There are two ways of approaching this...either err on the side of a more 'neutral' Dark Grey to portray DSG or try and get close the the original DSG shade as I did.

"Other than this, some decals are a bit “oversized”, especially the mission markings on the muzzle."

These decals were checked over by various members of TAW, a Chief Tech at Cottesmore (who kindly provided pictures and noted nuances of the various airframes throughout the commission) and the Harrier SIG. The whole set was drawn up from official MOD plans (shhhh!) and arranged around the base 1:48 Hasegawa Harrier GR.7 decal sheet.

"To be noted, if you’re going to build a Harrier GR.9 finished with the overall Medium Sea Grey camouflage, the stencils on Model Alliance sheet are printed in Medium Sea Grey... this means that you will going to see nothing… unfortunately the same problem is with the stencils on decal sheet from Zotz."

I'm not too sure what you are meaning here as there are two full sets of the aforementioned DSG stencils which are/were to be used on the overall MSG airframes. In no way would I provide MSG stencils to sit on top of a MSG base! The only MSG stencils on the sheet were for the DSG LERX on ZG502, ZG858 & ZD379.

Yours

Jon

Hi Jon,

as I said in my post, the AIRframe decal sheet is "gorgeous"... really, I can see all the big effort you and the other fellow have put on make this sheet available for us.

I can only thanks for that.

But the Dark Sea Grey shade of the stencils is too violet / purple for me. I know about the Pantone swatch/RGB/CMYK/Greyscale and so on problem for this colour... and I would like just a more "neutral dark grey" approach.

About the size of the nose mission markings, the GR.7 kit from Hasegawa in 1/48th scale is almost correct... so the Trumpeter kit in 1/32nd no.

I know you have to "replicate" a downsize of the real one markings... what I would like to said is the decals can't be put just from the sheet to the kit, but needs to be cut with a scissor and each single part must be placed "at the best"... so the problem is in the kit.

Last point about the Medium Sea Grey stencils... I explained badly, I'm going to edit my previous post.

Keep up with your good works, we still need decal sheets from you with such kind of kits ;-)

CIAO!

Piero

Hi Jon,

as I said in my post, the AIRframe decal sheet is "gorgeous"... really, I can see all the big effort you and the other fellow have put on make this sheet available for us.

I can only thanks for that.

But the Dark Sea Grey shade of the stencils is too violet / purple for me. I know about the Pantone swatch/RGB/CMYK/Greyscale and so on problem for this colour... and I would like just a more "neutral dark grey" approach.

About the size of the nose mission markings, the GR.7 kit from Hasegawa in 1/48th scale is almost correct... so the Trumpeter kit in 1/32nd no.

I know you have to "replicate" a downsize of the real one markings... what I would like to said is the decals can't be put just from the sheet to the kit, but needs to be cut with a scissor and each single part must be placed "at the best"... so the problem is in the kit.

Last point about the Medium Sea Grey stencils... I explained badly, I'm going to edit my previous post.

Keep up with your good works, we still need decal sheets from you with such kind of kits ;-)

CIAO!

Piero

Hi Piero

Yeah taking a look at the DSG images now and they DO look a bit on the 'Mauve' side I must digress! :wacko:

Sometimes drawing from MOD paint plans can vary from the real aircraft and sometimes models manufactured in the marketplace. I'm glad that it is only a case of cutting around the cockpit step/rettung stencils to fit said kit and not a size issue otherwise the MOD have made an error!! :lol:

Anyway thats a cracking build you have going off there and it's nice to see the patchwork Harrier in model form as it took myself, Nick Greenall and more so Andy the Crew Chief at Cottesmore a lot of head scratching to portray and document it's airframe oddities!!

As for me doing decals...well most likely never again for TAW I suppose but still beavering away for other clients! :)

Ciao

Jon

Hi Piero,

This is a smashing job you're doing. It's obvious that you are passionate about the subject as every step of the way shows care and attention to the minutest detail.

The result is eye-wateringly good and it's so pleasing to see someone apply heavy weathering where it should be. The rear fuselage soot stains look super.

I'm eager to see more. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

;)

Piero

Stunning, can't wait to see it finished.

Are we going to see this in the flesh at SMW2012?

re "I know about the Pantone swatch/RGB/CMYK/Greyscale and so on problem for this colour" ... anyone like to explain it in laymen's terms for me, as I'd like to know why we can't replicate the colours of some Harrier stencils correctly in decals. You can PM me with this knowledge so as not to hijack the thread with the answers. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

time to go on with the RAF Harrier GR.7 "Snow Falcon 2002".

Camouflage is on, washing is in progress with the rear and underside sections yet to do.

7285478674_379f9a83f8_b.jpg

7285478456_26575e8502_b.jpg

7285478302_70108d9849_b.jpg

7285478192_884c59437c_b.jpg

7285478056_93f6bb6241_b.jpg

7285477892_8479175310_b.jpg

I'm not really happy with the result at this stage, but I'll will see later if I'll need to re-done some.

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...