Officer Skaraborg's regiment Swedish army 1683

Azgaron

Hi everyone!

Some months ago my model building went to a halt, I lost the interest due to reasons I'm not entirely sure of, but suspect had to do with other RL issues, like money (or lack of) and such.

Anyway a while ago a work mate suggested that I'd try some figure painting, as he had seen some of what I've done. Doing something else than what I usually do perhaps could do the trick, and get me back to building again, so why not.

Here's what I'm gonna try my hand at.

officer_skaraborgs_regimente_1683_640x480.JPG

I got this and a few more figures at Tradition of London Tradition of London shop

Although I've painted metal fantasy figures like WH40K before, I've never painted or built anything like this, so I had to find some information about what I needed, and how to.

First I started to remove all mold lines and things that weren't supposed to be on the figure. Then I've done something I never done before - pinning. Here's how I've done.

I started with drilling a hole on the arm shoulder part.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_arm_pin_hole_640x480.JPG

Then I put a little bit of blue tac where the arm is attached on the figure. Pushed the arm in place and removed it. It's important to have some saliva on the blue tac so it don't get stuck on the arm.

When the arm was removed it looked like this.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_blue_tac_640x480.JPG

That showed me where I should drill to get 'exact' match.

Here's the pinned arm.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_left_arm_pin_640x480.JPG

More pics later as I progress. I ordered some paints, brushes and green stuff that I need to continue this build, and it just arrived.

Cheers,

Håkan

Looks good,go for it!I find figure painting a nice change from assembling kits-ok there is a bit of assembly to do but not much.It's then the painting that 'makes' the model,chance to show/improve painting skills rather than the building.I look forward to see this progressing.

Mike

Thanks Mike! :)

Yes, painting it should be interesting once I come that far. I have a Sherlock Holmes figure that I'm also building, and are going to put here too.

Cheers,

Håkan

Here's a pic I took when test fitting the arms.

skaraborg_officer_90mm_test_fit_640x480.JPG

The arms are glued, but as it looks pretty much the same I didn't bother taking a new pic! :)

Now it's time for som gap filling with green stuff.

Cheers,

Håkan

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've put him on his base, glued the scabbard, and given him a primer!

officer_skaraborg_90mm_primed_640x480.JPG

And I've also started painting his face and hands.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_skin_painted_1_640x480.JPG

I'll see how much I can do this weekend.

Cheers,

Håkan

The face and hands got some more paint.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_face_painted_640x480.JPG

I also painted a first layer of yellow.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_yellow_1_640x480.JPG

Shades and highlights next.

Cheers,

Håkan

I painted shades and highlight in a combination of dry brushing and painting with thin color.

officer_skaraborg_90mm_yellow_2_640x480.JPG

The flash made the pic a bit bright.

Cheers,

Håkan

I've done some more painting, and corrected the eyes a bit (hopefully to the better). :)

officer_skaraborg_90mm_almost_done_1_640x480.JPG

Almost done now! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

That's looking good,nicely done.Camera pictures can be harsh on figure painting,I find it difficult with basic cameras to get a picture that shows figures off well.

Have you considered using shades of black for shadows on skin?I used to use darker skin tones (well ok,brown shades really),but I think the reality is that black shades work better.If you look at your own skin,the shadows are more black than brown-well they are on me anyway!

Mike

Thanks Mike! :)

I found that it's best to take pics in day light and without flash, but as I usually build and do my updates when it's dark (at least in winter time) I need the flash.

I guess you're right. I have to to try using black in the shade mix. I saw a figure painting "how to" where he had painted the face black and then built up high lights with white, and then on top of that used very thin skin colors. It looked amazing.

Cheers,

Håkan