Avro Shackleton WR963

richw_82

I'm still researching a lot of angles, but there was a feasibility study commissioned in 2006 that laid out how it could be done, and the conclusion was that it was achievable. The major obstacle is financial, and it was this that effectively shelved things in late 2008. I believe that was the wrong decision.

Regarding museums - if the decision was taken to retire her properly, I would be looking to somewhere that can get WR963 under cover permanently. Staying outdoors long term and corrosion will kill her off, our work at the moment is only slowing it to a crawl.

Seeing her back in the air would be fantastic, how realistic that is I don't know, the growler is such a lovely aircraft but I don't think she would get the same public support as the tin triangle.

Would a move to Wellesbourne or Bruntingthorpe and keep her in a taxiable condition be feasible? Can't think of any museums that would have space. I gather they're planning to build a new hanger at Elvington to house the Nimrod and Victor, would be great if 963 could go and retire there, but have also heard that Elvington is facing increasing pressure to stop aviation activities due to noise complaints from residents as a result of use of the airstrip by car clubs.

Seeing her back in the air would be fantastic, how realistic that is I don't know, the growler is such a lovely aircraft but I don't think she would get the same public support as the tin triangle.

Would a move to Wellesbourne or Bruntingthorpe and keep her in a taxiable condition be feasible? Can't think of any museums that would have space. I gather they're planning to build a new hanger at Elvington to house the Nimrod and Victor, would be great if 963 could go and retire there, but have also heard that Elvington is facing increasing pressure to stop aviation activities due to noise complaints from residents as a result of use of the airstrip by car clubs.

Great idea but no cover at either of these. I'm not sure if Brunters is having something built in the future though, I've heard rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

17 Nov

Well, today we started looking at the problem with No 4 propeller and its reluctance to behave. Investigation of the piston assembly showed remains of a seal where it shouldn't be, so it was out with a new piston assembly and the prop kit to remove the old one.

75948_469420393104722_1909739696_n.jpg

Despite how it looks, Colin isn't taking that hammer to anything vital (though sometimes its soooo tempting...) he was on his way to sort out some of the lifting point blanks. The 'man with hammer' shot was just too tempting to miss.

306000_469421409771287_1339024099_n.jpg

Up on the riser, and on first sight it appears we had everything we needed to get the piston assembly off. Howls of rage were heard when it was realised that the flask and pastie supply was missing. Still, the team got stuck in and removed the cover plate, drained the oil, undid the rack nuts and got the prop spanners out.

67877_469422949771133_741364404_n.jpg

It surprised me just how much effort the nut took to shift. Still I suppose you don't want the prop winding itself off any time its not supposed to.

598617_469424743104287_1270072545_n.jpg

Spot the difference?

Unfortunately somewhere along the way a mod was done to the piston assembly where the racks mount, and the two aren't identical - the new modified item requiring spacer pieces for it to fit correctly. So, for now we wait as we have to have them made like a lot of other things these days. We're also looking in the bits we have to see if we have another unmodified assembly so we don't get caught out again.

Other work on WR963:

Inside the aircraft our electricians are still trying to revive the PTR 1751 V/UHF radio, so we can use it alongside the PTR 175 - allowing better contact with the tower here at Coventry. It appears the control box is dead - anybody know where we can get a spare? These are the numbers:

Control Radio Station (Plessey Avionics)

PV1754X (Preset/Manual) 630/1/37854/019

10L 7564393 NATO No. 5821-99-756-4393

The next time our team convenes at Coventry will see us working in the store. We're finally going to try and make some sense of the goodies in there, with a view to thinning out some of the stuff we don't need (for example around 15 odd old and new old stock mainwheel tyres and hubs? Utter madness when the shelf life is only a few years....)

Other news:

We've had more contact with the airport, with a meeting being scheduled soon to discuss WR963. We're hoping they want her to stay as much as we do, especially given current plans for her future.

Speaking of which, things are moving along in this respect with our public profile being boosted by the use of VP293. We've already been asked if we can take the MR1 along to nearly a dozen shows next year, so we should be getting out and about a bit more.

The website has also been pulled down for complete overhaul, as we need to make it a bit more user friendly, and try and stop the spam the old one suffered from. We're also going to be using it to raise funds. (terribly sorry! We managed a few years without a begging bowl of sorts.)

In short - direction has been found, morale has returned and we're all back getting on with it to keep Coventry's Shackleton around for a while.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following a very positive meeting, we can confirm Shackleton WR963 and Nimrod XV232 will be staying at Coventry. The airport operators have confirmed they have no wish to see us leave, and will be looking to find a solution that allows us to continue - and possibly further - our activities.

Exact details have yet to be worked out due to the redevelopment plans, but the Shackleton will be staying!

Dec 15th we're due to carry out a ground run if anyone is interested, as WR963 has been quiet since September. Its usually carried out around 1300hrs, but you're welcome to get there a bit earlier if you choose. Bear in mind that now Airbase is closed, your entry won't cost you anything but you will be restricted somewhat on where you can walk about in the immediate area.

WR963 will be open for inspection, but we will be asking for a donation on the door of the aircraft. There may be spaces available on the aircraft during the run.

Come on over and help support WR963!

Rich, I'm afraid that all I too can offer at this time is good luck, indeed! If my financial situation improves, I would definitely be up to parting with a few quid to keep this beautiful aeroplane in good shape.

Best Regards,

Jason

Rich, I'm holding a Russian & Eastern European flying next year at Sywell, I know a Shackleton doesn't fit into that Catagory, but if it's OK with the airfield manager, your more than welcome to bring along fo the day! I'm *hoping* for a good turn out.

Dec 15th we're due to carry out a ground run if anyone is interested, as WR963 has been quiet since September. Its usually carried out around 1300hrs, but you're welcome to get there a bit earlier if you choose. Bear in mind that now Airbase is closed, your entry won't cost you anything but you will be restricted somewhat on where you can walk about in the immediate area.

WR963 will be open for inspection, but we will be asking for a donation on the door of the aircraft. There may be spaces available on the aircraft during the run.

Come on over and help support WR963!

I missed this earlier when posting but just seen it on UKAR, hopefully get down next Saturday Rich!

Sorry I couldn't make today Rich, still at work! 'm booking the next run off though well inadvance!

Hope all went well, I look forward to videos & photos!

Bugger. We're already booked in to Dawlish that weekend.

Scratch that, Dawlish is on the Saturday, so it could be doable.

Hopefully!

Well, today was well attended for WR963's last run of 2012, with even the weather being relatively gentle compared to the last few days. It was nice to meet some old friends - and make some new ones - including a gentleman who was an ex pilot of 37 Sqn, who flew a Shackleton in the Coronation review in 1953.

But the run wasn't as much the highlight of today as something else...

The highlight was this; the Trustees of the Shackleton Preservation Trust have given permission for work to continue once again towards returning WR963 to the skies. This is official and we are now in communication with the CAA regarding finding a way to make this happen. There is a lot of work ahead and a lot of things to be worked out; not least of which is whether the existing main spar booms can be safely used or whether total replacement is the only option.

We'll be keeping you updated on progress.

Regards,

Rich

That is interesting news, indeed, Rich! I don't suppose you'll be making it to the States any time soon though (although if you are, they have a nice airshow at Randolph AFB near San Antonio, Texas every year). Ah, to see an MR.2 in the flesh! Well, I can dream, can't I?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

It will be a few years before WR963 graces the skies even if everything goes exactly to plan. Speakng of going across the Atlantic - its been many years since any large warbird did the crossing just for a visit - I think the B17 'Liberty Belle' was the last a few years ago?

Well, today was well attended for WR963's last run of 2012, with even the weather being relatively gentle compared to the last few days. It was nice to meet some old friends - and make some new ones - including a gentleman who was an ex pilot of 37 Sqn, who flew a Shackleton in the Coronation review in 1953.

But the run wasn't as much the highlight of today as something else...

The highlight was this; the Trustees of the Shackleton Preservation Trust have given permission for work to continue once again towards returning WR963 to the skies. This is official and we are now in communication with the CAA regarding finding a way to make this happen. There is a lot of work ahead and a lot of things to be worked out; not least of which is whether the existing main spar booms can be safely used or whether total replacement is the only option.

We'll be keeping you updated on progress.

Regards,

Rich

Brilliant news!! Good luck to you all in making this happen!!

Keef

It will be a few years before WR963 graces the skies even if everything goes exactly to plan. Speakng of going across the Atlantic - its been many years since any large warbird did the crossing just for a visit - I think the B17 'Liberty Belle' was the last a few years ago?

Really? That's a shame about not getting to see any large American warbirds flying. I've seen both "Fifi" (B-29), and "Texas Raider" (B-17) at the Wings Over Houston Airshow (Ellington Field, Texas). In addition, I got to see the Canadian Lancaster once. The problem is you'd never fly something that old that far, even if it had the range, which all of these old birds did at one time. Still, I'm a little surprised there isn't at least one flyable B-17 in the UK or the continent. Perhaps the most ironic situation is that the only flyable Shturmovik is now in the States, in Washington State. You'd think one of the Russian oligarchs would pony up to have one flying in Russia, if only for publicity (but I don't want to see a bright-red Il-2 flying around with "Gazprom" in yellow letters on the undersides of the wings, or other such nonsense).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

We have one flying B17 (Sally B based out of Duxford) but her future is in doubt after next year. When old aircraft from the UK have gone transalantic - rather sadly - its usually been for export.

The Shackleton at Pima flew the Atlantic in 1994 and it was hoped she would return, I know Diamond Lil did the crossing to the UK and back a few years earlier, and Liberty Belle more recently. Perhaps the most widely publicised crossings were in 1989 for the movie "Memphis Belle". So its not unprecendented but its a huge risk, and a bit of a rare flight nowadays.