Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt

I figured that it was about time that I, at least, made the effort to get one done for this group build. This is the Tamiya 48th scale P-47D 'Razorback and needs no more introduction than that. I'm going to finish it in the markings of the 78th Fighter Group, 82nd Fighter Squadron's - 'Miss Behave', a Duxford Eagle. It's going to be almost OOB with just the addition of aftermarket decals and possibly wheels. I made a start last week and the pictures show the progress to date: -

The Kit

IMG_9819.jpg

The Bits

IMG_9820.jpg

The Possible Bits

IMG_9821.jpg

The Markings

IMG_9822.jpg

And where I am now

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9827.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

And the last one for tonight - fuselage glued, sanded and re-scribed lost lines.

IMG_9843.jpg

Now for a big push to get it done in time.

Pete

I figured that it was about time that I, at least, made the effort to get one done for this group build. This is the Tamiya 48th scale P-47D 'Razorback and needs no more introduction than that. I'm going to finish it in the markings of the 78th Fighter Group, 82nd Fighter Squadron's - 'Miss Behave', a Duxford Eagle. It's going to be almost OOB with just the addition of aftermarket decals and possibly wheels. I made a start last week and the pictures show the progress to date:

Now for a big push to get it done in time.

Pete

Pete,

What paint did you use for the green - looks spot on (as does the rest of it)!

Wez

Thanks for the comment Deacon. The pit in this kit is such a gem that no resin aftermarket would give enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile.

Little bit more done and beginning to look like I might get this one done in time.

The beauty with this kit is that it falls together without any real problems. The wings fit like a charm and the tailplanes probably wouldn't even need any glue, they're that precise a fit. They have been push fitted in this picture as it will be easier to paint the rudder without them there. I've got to work on the cowling and engine parts next and then comes an undercoat.

IMG_9853.jpg

More soon

Pete

Edited by Peter W

A little more done on this one, trying to juggle this build with a P-51D and really enjoying both.

I spent a bit of time finishing the engine so that it's ready go on at the end. I haven't wasted much time on the bulkhead as you can't see any of it once in place. I might just give the 2 ducts a bit of a wash but that's all.

IMG_9858.jpg

Everything that needs to be glued on before paint has been added and it's had it's soapy wash to get rid of all the sanding residue. I then gave it an undercoat of Xtracolor Gull Grey primer and after a couple of hours drying gave it some pre-shading and the tail a lick of red. The weekend should see a big push on this one now, I aim to get the rest of the paint on and give myself a chance to finish it before the group build ends. Lots to do but fingers crossed that it will cross the line in time.

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

Just noticed that I've missed a panel line with the pre-shading. The first job for tomorrow methinks.

More soon

Pete

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I managed to get some paint on this weekend and, apart from a few touch ups, it's ready for a gloss coat.

First a few with the basic colours on: -

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

It's difficult to do a P-47 in these colours as they look so alien on it. Olive Drab / Neutral Grey somehow looks right but the British Green / Sky just doesn't fit. It's what the experts say it was painted in though, so that's what she's wearing.

A few more with the stripes on: -

IMG_9864.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

I'm getting to the stage that, for me, is the most fun - Decals.

More soon

Pete

Edited by Peter W

Nearly there but not exactly looking like it was meant to. I thought that I'd try some post shading with a red-brown/black mixture but, alas, it's a bit heavier than I'd hoped. I think that a couple of matt coats has helped but not enough. Too late to do anything about it now though, that's the price for experimenting too close to the end of the group build. Just got the tidying up bits to do, photograph and get it in the gallery. Tomorrow will see me done with this one.

Here it is though as of now, don't be too harsh.

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

The pain is nearly over

Pete

:D

Very very nice machine, although you have doubts about your post-shading. Love the underbelly details that come out with the wash. Also, I think your cockpit - with the detailing and the highlighting looks superb!

Congrats!

Hey Peter,

Regardless of what you think, I think that that looks simply jaw-dropping amazing. The weathering seems great and the pre/post shading combination looks excellent. I hope I can make something that looks like that one day!

Keep us updated, please, and may the modeling mojo be with you so you can finish this one! You are so close!

Erik

Guys, thank you for the words of inspiration. They are the reason that I love being part of this, and other, modelling forums. A ray of sunshine when things look bleak.

Anyway, the finishing line has been reached with the few remaining jobs taking no time to get done. I've put these last few pictures here and a few more will be in the gallery soonest.

for good or bad it's all over and already planning the next.

Cheers Pete

IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg