Mustang Group Build Chat

Posibly a daft question, but since I don't know... What colour should the internal canopy/windscreen framing be - is it painted interior green like the rest of the cockpit, or is it the same colour as the outside framing (i.e. natural metal/painted to match the external finish)?

Photograph evidence is inconclusive generally, and especially so on the couple of colour pics I've found of the airframe(s) I'm looking to build.

Andy

Posibly a daft question, but since I don't know... What colour should the internal canopy/windscreen framing be - is it painted interior green like the rest of the cockpit, or is it the same colour as the outside framing (i.e. natural metal/painted to match the external finish)?

Photograph evidence is inconclusive generally, and especially so on the couple of colour pics I've found of the airframe(s) I'm looking to build.

Andy

Hi Andy

I always go with interior green but I have seen black on export P51`s but not natural metal.

wellzy :headphones:

Hi Guy`s & Girls

wellzy is back thanks for all the kind wishes,out of hospital but on a shed load of pain killers , hope too be back in modelling soon .

all the best to you all the group build looks good .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm really jealous of all participating in this GB. Due to a limited model budget I won't be able to grab anything in time. I'll be waiting on the next one, though! Also, I'm a bit burnt out of WWII modelling so I'm gonna start Eduard's 1/48 Albatros Diii pretty soon and try my hand at some WWI. I'm keeping up with everyone's build though and keep up the great work :)

HI Per

Thank you very much, is it possible to use other things than Alclad?? I don't have any of that stuf :(

one Somalian Mustang coming op!

Mikkel,

Do you have any pics of actual Somali P-51's? Just curious as i've never seen any,are you sure they were NMF or painted Silver?

I know they were ex-Italian stock but that it

Folks it is with genuine reluctance that I must pull my double project(s) from this GB. As some of you know, we are emigrating in the Spring and I was (optimistically) hoping to squeeze-in these two before we go, however reality is that I simply won't have the time to do them justice, and let's be honest friends, a kit is a whole lot easier to pack and transport than a model.

So that's it, I'll still be co-hosting with Les, just not taking part.

AFN

Ian

- Co-host Britmodeller 2011 P-51 Mustang STGB -

Edited by Ian

Mikkel,

Do you have any pics of actual Somali P-51's? Just curious as i've never seen any,are you sure they were NMF or painted Silver?

I know they were ex-Italian stock but that it

Nope, there is no photo's of the somalian Mustangs. I don't know if they were NMF or painted, what was the italian P-51's painted like?

Some very nice builds going on gents. My mustang is still in the box. Father in law in hospital, work, Christmas, family etc means the bench is empty. Hope to get in before the end.

Keep up the good work and a Happy New Year to all.

Michael

Hi all, coming in late but rather later than never !! Hope this is ok for you all !!!

as my name is Peter i will will build Trupeters 1/32 P-51 D Mustang in the colors of 352nd FG nicknamed Petie 3rd !!!

petie0001.jpg

Cheers Peter

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH !!! :wall:

I am set for three builds in this GB - two P-51Ds and a P-51B from the 1/48 Tamiya kits. I haven't started build threads yet as I intended to get some decent work done first.

Well, now it looks like I might not complete the two P-51Ds! :( Why not? Because in my stupidity I decided to use the Aires wheel well sets.

THEY DO NOT FIT!!!! AT ALL !!!!! :wall:

They are simply too thick to fit within the wing. I had tried sanding both the resin parts and the plastic parts. I've sanded until they were paper thin. And now one resin set has collapsed because it is so thin, as has one upper wing surface. :( The problem is that I cannot go back to just using the Tamiya parts as-is, because I had to remove the details to get the resin bits in.

So now I am very annoyed indeed! I should have learned my lesson a few years ago when I had exactly the same problem - and result - while trying to fit an Aires cockpit into an Airix 1/48 Seafire 47. I managed to recover that one because I had spare fuselage halves available when the plastic parts collapsed. No such luck this time.

I should be able to deal with the P-51B bay, but I believe that the P-51Ds are a lost cause.

So how do I proceed? Is it possible to order replacement parts from Tamiya? Alternatively, I have heard that the ICM kit is a clone of the Tamiya kit. Is that true. :pray: I would be willing to buy two ICM kits to rob the wing parts because then I could build the ICM kits with Tamiya wings as paint dummies.

Any suggestions anyone? :please:

Evening all, I seem to have a lull before the 2012 GB Season starts and a "1/72 Big Beautiful Doll" from the Airfix Duxford Collection looking for a reason to be built so I'd like to join in with a quick little Mustang.

Cheers

Graham

by the way I am very jealous of those 1/32nd Mustangs they look the business to say the least and all the builds on here of them look great... oooh to have the time to build it, spare the money to buy it and the space to properly store it once built....one day.

Enzo, I have just finished an ICM P-51D and I compared all of the body parts against a Tamiya one and they fit together exactly. You can interchange any of the main body parts without any problems. Getting a couple of cheap ICM ones for the wings is definately an option.

I used the Aires wheel bay on my first P-51D and never again, it's not worth the bother. I ended having to remove some of the top edge of the wheel bay in order to make it fit. Probably the worst Aires part I've ever bought and certainly learnt from that painful experience.

Pete

Tamiya do have a spares service , i have used it myself in the past .

Price does tend to vary though , on the whole if i needed new parts now i would go down the ICM route . Paid £7.50 per sprue for 2 canopy sprues for a P-51D late last year .

Where are you based ? I have got a few bits sitting in a box , i'll have a look if you want .

Thanks to Pete and Taggart for the helpful comments. The ICM kit is the way that I will go. That will leave me with a lot of spare parts, but I can use them as paint dummies or as quick relaxing builds in an in-flight configuration.

I still want to represent the correct wheel bay configuration, but I will have to do it the old-fashioned way and build it up from plastic card, rather than just chucking a bit of resin at it.

Sadly, the two P-51Ds will no longer feature in the groupbuild, but they will get finished and presented on BM.

I've a question about the types of seat belts used on RAF Mustangs particularly the Allison engined beasties operating in 1944.

Would they have had the original type of Sutton Harness with the pin and the spring clip OR would they have had the later style of harness with the quick release buckle?

Your thoughts please?

Wez

Nope, there is no photo's of the somalian Mustangs. I don't know if they were NMF or painted, what was the italian P-51's painted like?

From what I have seen the Italian P51 where painted silver ,but God only know`s what the Somalian`s

did with them .?

Edited by wellzy

I've a question about the types of seat belts used on RAF Mustangs particularly the Allison engined beasties operating in 1944.

Would they have had the original type of Sutton Harness with the pin and the spring clip OR would they have had the later style of harness with the quick release buckle?

Your thoughts please?

Wez

Wez,

All the information I have available to me and that is supported by original photographs and documentation indicates that they kept with the same basic style of Sutton Harness on the RAF's Allison engined Mustangs through until the end of the War. There was no real reason for them to change from the original type and to complicate their supply chain or servicing arrangements for the numbers remaining in service in 1944 onwards.

Regards,

Wez,

All the information I have available to me and that is supported by original photographs and documentation indicates that they kept with the same basic style of Sutton Harness on the RAF's Allison engined Mustangs through until the end of the War. There was no real reason for them to change from the original type and to complicate their supply chain or servicing arrangements for the numbers remaining in service in 1944 onwards.

Regards,

Thanks Col, I'll go with the original type then.

Wez