Mustang Group Build Chat

Hi Merlin

Most major decal manufacturers are good ,like Eagle strike ,Aeromaster ,Superscale and so on make your mind up what aircaft

you want too do and try the swap shop ,some one may have them spare.

wellzy :headphones:

Hi Wellzy

On the future group build this GB was listed as 'Mustang' but it is now 'P-51 Mustang'...does that therefore now exclude the F-82 Twin Mustang?

Andy

And,y the naming was my doing, if there's a problem with the name, in the fullness of time, I'll change it.

Hi Mish

Thanks - I had run out of P-51's in the stash and to join I would have to buy one! I have the Modelcraft F-82 lurking and would like to do this for the GB, so it looks like this may be suitable after all

Andy

As it s coming very soon now, I'm trying to decide what and how many. I have a two seat B conversion fuselage that may well end up as one of the colourful 4th FG birds. A D model, maybe in Canadian colours if the LE decals come out in good time or choose from my P-51 decals in my stock. All 1/72.

Doug and I were specualting the other day on the interior colour of RAF Mustangs. Were they Zinc Chromate rather than Interior Green? The Tamiya instructions highlight a mix of 2 parts yellow to 1 part green (which sounds suspiciously close to zinc chromate), but if anyone has any better ideas, please shout.

What colour were the interiors of post-war (e.g. Korean war and ANG) Mustangs?

Did they retain the green or did they change the colour?

Wez

What colour were the interiors of post-war (e.g. Korean war and ANG) Mustangs?

Did they retain the green or did they change the colour?

Wez

Hi Wez

You could be ok interior green but some ANG Mustangs change to black .

Can I pick the collective brains here please? Am I missing something or did the RAF not have a Mustang Mk II? The reason I ask is that all my refs make no mention of it, so was it a cancelled option?

Confused of Aberdeen,

Mark.

Can I pick the collective brains here please? Am I missing something or did the RAF not have a Mustang Mk II? The reason I ask is that all my refs make no mention of it, so was it a cancelled option?

Confused of Aberdeen,

Mark.

Mustang II is a P51A - Allison engine, .50 cal wing guns only, fixed inlet to the radiator of different shape to the P51, carburettor intake has an inbuilt filter so its a bit fatter for some of its length when viewed in plan, I think the RAF received 50.

Hi Wez

You could be ok interior green but some ANG Mustangs change to black .

Thanks Wellzy - thought as much!

Wez

Edited by Wez

Mustangs up to P-51D-20 were interior Green.

Very late war D-25 and Post War D-30's were black interior

Very helpful, thanks Mungo.

Wez

Mustang II is a P51A - Allison engine, .50 cal wing guns only, fixed inlet to the radiator of different shape to the P51, carburettor intake has an inbuilt filter so its a bit fatter for some of its length when viewed in plan, I think the RAF received 50.

Wez

Thanks for that, guess I need to consider getting a fifth option then! Although with only 50 supplied, there would only have been enough for a maximum of 2 squadrons + spares/attrition replacements, so I'm guessing these are a rare breed?

Mark.

Thanks for that, guess I need to consider getting a fifth option then! Although with only 50 supplied, there would only have been enough for a maximum of 2 squadrons + spares/attrition replacements, so I'm guessing these are a rare breed?

Mark.

MAI for October 2008 had a series of profiles for Allison engined Mustangs, the Mk.II profiles are for aircraft from II(AC) and 268 Sqns.

Wez

If you are looking for information on the four Allison engined variants of the Mustang used by the RAF, the following thread here on Britmodeller from a year ago is a good place to start.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=Mustang

These other posts bring up information and detail on specific facets of types or sub-types:

One of the best sources of Mustang information on the web is the P51SIG. You have to join to get full access and ask questions on the SIG, but it is probably the highest concentration of Mustang researchers, maintainers, flyers, authors and modellers you will find around.

Regards,

OMG!!!

It's time for this GB as WELL???

o....wait....Dec 3rd.....:)

still 2 days to go then......now.....where's that kit??????

Hi ALL

Les is sorry he has missed the start of the Musang G/B ,He is still in hospital after having a total knee replacement three weeks ago .The first replacement was not right he had a second that was good,but now he has a bad infection in his lower leg ,antibiotics have not help it so he is going down for surgey on Monday hope`s to be out by Friday. He know`s the Group Build will be in safe hand with his Co-host Ian running the Show and I will be talking the lap top in too him to keep in thouch with you all .

All the best for the Group Build Angie (Les`s partner)