AIRFIX - we want these

speedy

Centurion new tool with AVRE option

Now that is a really good idea. Stalwart of British (and many other) post-war armoured fleets, as iconic as the EE Lightning. Loads of different variant and marking options. Good candidate for Airfix's policy of replacing their embarrassing products: to me the existing Centurion VIII never really looked that much like a Centurion. Initial boxing as a Mark 10, with AVRE option, later with new turret for Mark 3?

Edited by Seahawk

Now that is a really good idea. Stalwart of British (and many other) post-war armoured fleets, as iconic as the EE Lightning. Loads of different variant and marking options. Good candidate for Airfix's policy of replacing their embarrassing products: to me the existing Centurion VIII never really looked that much like a Centurion. Initial boxing as a Mark 10, with AVRE option, later with new turret for Mark 3?

And a Sexton SPG - the last major British AFV of WWII not kitted in any widely-available form.

As Airfix seem to be replacing old, worn-out tools that are still in the catalogues, I suggest in 1:72 -

Tiger Moth

DH88 Comet racer

Hawker Typhoon (bubble and car-door versions please)

Gloster Gladiator (with parts for Sea Gladiator)

Bristol Blenheim (MkI and MkIV bomber and fighter versions please)

Bristol Beaufighter (including the Merlin-engined versions as well)

Hawker Hurricane I

B-17

B-24

plus in 1:144 a new Boeing 747 (100 or 200 series), and a completely new Concorde.

And models new to the Airfix range:

1:48 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2/P-40B/C

1:48 Aerospatiale/Westland Gazelle

1:72 Handley Page Victor (to complete the trio)

And a FV432 family, come to think of it? Including Abbot ... or has someone already suggested that?

One could also add the other CVR(T) vehicles - Striker, Spartan, Sultan - and the Conqueror (someone do that in 1/35 pleeeease ... there was a derelict near my school used by RE and REME to play with, and it was memorably HUGE for a small boy to crawl about in).

How about a little revenue on old product by re-releasing the 1/48 Buccaneers with bottom kicking decals just as you have done with the Lightning kit this year. Then reinvest the profit in new tooling for a:

1/350 Ark Royal IV (circa 1976)

As Airfix seem to be replacing old, worn-out tools that are still in the catalogues, I suggest in 1:72 -

Hawker Typhoon (bubble and car-door versions please)

Bristol Beaufighter (including the Merlin-engined versions as well)

I second that motion for the Typhoon - definitely a desireable kit, especially the car-door version. The Beaufighter is another good choice for replacement. And, as usual, let me add my own suggestion regarding a third Airfix kit of the same vintage which I'd love to see replaced - can anyone guess? Why, it's the Yak-9 again!!! ;)

John

Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3, Lightning F1/3.......and did I say Lightning F1/3?

And models new to the Airfix range:

1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, 1:72 Lightning F6, and did I say 1:72 Lightning F6?

Oh and a 1/72 Lincoln, Shackleton MR1/2/3, Varsity, Argosy & Hastings. Ta very much!

:D

Keef

Edited by keefr22

I love the 1/72 cold war stuff, so I'd be delighted if Airfix would refresh the Lightning, Buccaneer, Javelin, Swift, Attacker, Venom/Sea Venom, Sea Vixen, Vulcan and Victor.

Britain has a fantastic legacy of aircraft that they should be proud of, and who better to spearhead this than Airfix?

Edited by Supertom

I don't think many people would object if Airfix were to scale down the 1:48 Lightning kits to 1:72. If they added the trainer version too...

Oh, changing subjects slightly, how about a 1:350 Type 42 destroyer (HMS Sheffield et al)?

How about 1/48

Jaguar ( have you seen the prices on fleebay?)

2 seater harrier

F104 starfighter

Buccaneer

P61

Seahawk

Vampire

P51 Mustang

Skyraider

Seafury

2 seat lightning

How about 1/48

Jaguar ( have you seen the prices on fleebay?)

eBay its pretty much a meaningless indicator - it only demonstrates what an individual is prepared to pay rather than whether a wider market demand actually exists. And the kit was repopped as a GR1/3 a few years back and then got dropped again.

I'm all for a 1/72 scale VC-10.

And whilst we are thinking big:

Boeing 737 Wedgetail (RAAF, Turkey, South Korea)

Boeing 737-700/BBJ (RAAF, USAF, USNand countless other air forces)

Boeing P-8A Poseidon (USN, RAAF, Indian AF)

Even Boeing 737-700 & -800 series airliners

(whisper it quietly but with some clever toolmaking, all the above from one set of tools)

Edited by Nigel Bunker

Now that is something I'd sell part of the stash for! Especially as I got the dvd of Sailor for Christmas.

Not the only one - surprised I haven't worn it out yet - it's been watched soo many times since Christmas...

Utterly brilliant series.

So - at risk of repeating myself (which I am :) ) - Ark Royal (the *proper* one) in 1:350 :)

Now - 'if' they (or someone) did one - how major to convert to Eagle? 'Cos I'd prolly have to order two...

Of course I'm more likely to end up with 14 days number 9's than I am a kit! ;)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I'm seconding the 1/48 RAF figures and the refuelling set. Too little of that sort of thing around. 1/72 VC-10 would also be very nice.

But to be honest I'm just thrilled Airfix are retooling (very well) some of the old stuff!!!!!! The Beau and Blenheim would be a good start.

Edited by godders

1/72 maritime stuff please ... 1/35 kits are nice but most are just too big.

The RN X-craft (with XT training and Far East marks options please) and the Italian MAS boat and a PT boat spring to mind. As do some more of at least the smaller landing craft (LCA, LCT).

Perhaps the X-craft kit could include a model of Holland 1 (as at the RN Submarine Museum?).

I'm tremendously impressed with the Swordfish which is a superb combination of detail and assembleability (to coin a word) for the mass market, not least in the surface detailing. Which to my mind is especially interesting as thoughts ought to be turning to the implications of the coming years 2014-19, being as any fule kno the anniversary of the Great War. I expect that some museums already are planning, and so will the TV stations. Marketing opportunity in oodles - especially given how much Hornby advertises its Airfix kits in BBC History and similar mags (bully for them).

In terms of mainstream kits in 1/72, Airfix's preferred scale, WW1 aircraft are fairly well done by in terms of new kits by Eduard, Roden, Revell, etc., but not all are that easy to find in the shops, or to assemble (both important for the mass market) or to find decals for (with a few notable and merciful exceptions such as Pheon). So opportunities there?

And there are some big gaps which have never been done at all in mainstream kit form to 1/72 as far as I know - FE.2, DH.9 anyone? Or a (small scale) WW1 Zeppelin? While other places are held by excellent Airfix kits now currently out of production (Pup [outside the special set packaging], DH.4). And some Airfix kits could, I'd suggest politely, do with retirement and replacement following the excellent precedent of the Swordfish - Camel, RE.8 spring to mind, not all paralleled by other makers.

On the vehicle and artillery front, things are, in my opinion, much patchier in quality and range, such that the old Airfix rhomboid tank is still one of the best kits around. It's probably too much to hope for Airfix to do any in 1/35 - just not their scale. Tamiya do rivety things very well in that scale so one can but hope.

Wonder about the ships too. 1/350 and 1/700 are beginning to see Jutland dreadnoughts from several mainstream makers even for the poor old RN (neglected hitherto in favour of the High Seas Fleet), but whether Airfix feel able to do more than reissue the 1/600 Iron Duke remains to be seen.