MiG 15 cockpit colours

Simon Cornes

Can anyone give me a clue here? The Hobbyboss instructions suggest the pale blue/green but I was looking at the Polish version at Cosford on Monday and my photos of the canopy frame/seat suggest basically mid/dark grey with maybe a touch of green and a black seat headrest?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Simon

What he said ^^^^^.

The jade blue/green color was NOT used on production Soviet a/c until the mid to late 1960s. There may have been a MiG-15 somewhere in history that had such a cockpit color after an overhaul, but AFAIK the Chinese never used it, and as Georgio says, every MiG-15 (and 17 and 19) I've ever seen has a grey cockpit (and gear wells). The MiG-15bis in the collection of the USAFM in Dayton, Ohio is 100% original inside, and it's grey.

What he said ^^^^^.

The jade blue/green color was NOT used on production Soviet a/c until the mid to late 1960s. There may have been a MiG-15 somewhere in history that had such a cockpit color after an overhaul, but AFAIK the Chinese never used it, and as Georgio says, every MiG-15 (and 17 and 19) I've ever seen has a grey cockpit (and gear wells). The MiG-15bis in the collection of the USAFM in Dayton, Ohio is 100% original inside, and it's grey.

Its a medium gray. Halfoprds is close. Dont forget white orientation stripe down panel

Cheers

Sean

White orientation stripe? Educate me please!!

Russian fighters had (have?) a white vertical stripe in the middle of the instrument panel. The idea being that if the pilot was in a spin and totally disorientated, he would align the stick with the white line. This gave him one direction less to think about.

Mike

Russian fighters had (have?) a white vertical stripe in the middle of the instrument panel. The idea being that if the pilot was in a spin and totally disorientated, he would align the stick with the white line. This gave him one direction less to think about.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Mike

I have to confess I had a bit of a problem with this - I'm not a pilot; therefore, speaking as a typical stupid layman, how difficult can it be to align the stick with the centre of the control panel, if that's what you've been instructed to do? However, here's an image of a MiG-15 instrument panel which shows the white stripe, and also, incidentally, the grey colour of the cockpit:

http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/mig-1...n_mig-15_13.jpg

Live and learn...

Speaking of White Stripes:

John

Edited by John Thompson

I have to confess I had a bit of a problem with this - I'm not a pilot; therefore, speaking as a typical stupid layman, how difficult can it be to align the stick with the centre of the control panel, if that's what you've been instructed to do? However, here's an image of a MiG-15 instrument panel which shows the white stripe, and also, incidentally, the grey colour of the cockpit:

http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/mig-1...n_mig-15_13.jpg

Live and learn...

John

I am not a pilot, either, but I can well imagine that when the seat of your pants (i.e. vestibular system) is telling you that you are moving in one direction and your eyes contradict this, it is probably easier to line up on a very prominent white line than to decipher rotating needles on instruments.

Your eyes, during a (possibly violent) spin have a hard time focusing on any one thing. In fact, eyeball movement can become erratic and uncontrollable. That white line (and notice it's not a thin line, either) can help bring your eyes to "focus" on that, and eye-hand coordination becomes somewhat easier.

Can anyone give me a clue here? The Hobbyboss instructions suggest the pale blue/green but I was looking at the Polish version at Cosford on Monday and my photos of the canopy frame/seat suggest basically mid/dark grey with maybe a touch of green and a black seat headrest?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Simon

From this source:

a10_cov.gif

Cocpit interior was matt light grey-blue enamel PF-36M, desk was black AMT-6 with white vertical stripes.

But cocpit interior aircraft bulit factory #153 was dark green!!!!

Aicraft bulit factory #153 duiring a combat in Koreian war.

B.R. Serge