Han Solo's Corellian Hotrod

Thanks for those Images BWP.

That's kinda sad to hear but makes sense.

Thats why i am glad that i dont make them anymore. Maybe its because they were commissions. I must admit that since i have started building for myself the magic of SW models is comming back. Its more about the modelling now and not the accuracy compaired to the studio model. Im definately going to build the old AMT version next for nostalgias sake!

Edited by gunpowder17

Remember also that the models were built at ILM in California, Airfix kits would have been relatively rare and unusual at that time and place.

Actually, ILM used quite a few Airfix kits on the studio models.

A lot of the Airfix range was re-boxed and sold under the MPC brand in the U.S.

Off the top of my head, they used 24th scale Harrier, Hurricane and Stuka. Also, The Saturn V, Lusitania and HP.400 spring to mind.

There are more, but I'd have to go and dig my notes out.

I've done a fair bit of research on the Y-wing and TIE bomber. I have all the donor kits and bits to build the Bomber now and most of the donors for the Y-wing.

Im definately going to build the old AMT version next for nostalgias sake!

I've got a couple of those in the stash myself, along with the FM kit (can't have too many Falcons :) ).

The old AMT kit is actually pretty good shapewise to the original 5 footer (looking at it from the top down).

There was a great article in an old issue of Sci-Fi & Fantasy modeller. It involved a lot of chopping and rebuilding/detailing but it looked fantastic, when finished. It really captured the chunky Hot Rod look of the original model. B)

I've got it kicking around here somewhere and I'll be referring to it when I build my AMT versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely to watch one of these going together. I'd give a left nut (not necessarily my own, mind) for one of those. At the moment I'm making do with a knackered old banana what is the AMT/Ertl kit with interiour.. Obviously I've gotten so far in the build that any corrections I'd now want to consider (sidewall height, for instance) will completely destroy half the damn thing..

I guess I'll have to get the 144 one then..