Need help with Plastic sheet & rod.

Rabspat

Ok i am new to this plastic sheet rod business and to be honest i am getting really confused by it.

right according to the eduard instructions i need:

Plastic Rod:

0.5mm Diameter, guessing thats the thing that is O / through it?

1.mm Dia

2.8mm Dia

Plastic Sheet:

1mm thick

Now i thought that with these measurements it be easy to find but nope some companies have to confuse buy giving you different numbers than what they are. I feel i am getting over my head and i need some help finding what i need, i have used google before some say it's your friend and i am pulling my hair out trying to figure this all out.

Can i please get some help, also if this is in the wrong place sorry i was'nt sure where to put it.

You're dead right with the O/ symbol being diameter. For Rod there's only one specifed but for tubes, bear in mind they usually specify outer and inner diameters!

I think the sheets are normally in thou (thousandsths of an inch) so you may need to convert.

Not sure I understand correctly, but I guess the main problem is that while Eduard gives metric sizes, manufacturers like evergreen sell their products in imperial sizes and these not always have an immediate correspondance with the metric ones needed.

The link posted by Mark should help, as it shows the Evergreen range that has the 1 mm plastic card (0.040"thickness) and some of the rods with the 0.5 mm diameter roughly equivalent to the imperial 0.020" and the 1 mm to the 0.040". Evergreen does not have a 2.8 mm rod but has a 2.5 (0.1") and a 3.2 (1/8"), if this brand is the only one you can find (it's the easiest to find prety much everywhere), for the 2.8mm diameter you have to decide if you prefer a slightly smaller rod or a slightly bigger one. The smaller diameter can be coated with some paint to bulk up the size, the smaller can be reduced in diameter in several ways.

Some manufacturers in continental europe sell plastic card and rods in metric sizes, not sure however if a size like 2.8 mm would be easy to find (a 3 mm is more likely)

Ok i am new to this plastic sheet rod business and to be honest i am getting really confused by it.

right according to the eduard instructions i need:

Plastic Rod:

0.5mm Diameter, guessing thats the thing that is O / through it?

1.mm Dia

2.8mm Dia

Plastic Sheet:

1mm thick

Now i thought that with these measurements it be easy to find but nope some companies have to confuse buy giving you different numbers than what they are. I feel i am getting over my head and i need some help finding what i need, i have used google before some say it's your friend and i am pulling my hair out trying to figure this all out.

Can i please get some help, also if this is in the wrong place sorry i was'nt sure where to put it.

I presume the "different numbers" you refer to are a reference to "thous" or "thousandths of an inch". These are "old" units commonly used in mechanical engineering prior to metrication where

0.001" (or one thou) = 0.0254 mm.

Therefore 1mm thk card is appox equivalent to 0.0394" (nominally 40 thou).

Back in the day plastic card was commnly sold as 5 thou, 10 thou, 20 thou, etc.