Repulse Turret Drawings needed

FZ6

I was wondering if a fellow Britmodeller would be able to help me out with some drawings.

I have a WNW Pup which I have ambitious visions of having perched a top a turret platform on HMS Repulse. I'm looking at building the turret as well but need to source some drawings to work from.

As I only need drawings of the turret rear turret I was wondering if someone would have some drawings they could let me have a copy of this section of the ship I could scale up to 1:32. I've seen some ship plans available somewhere but it would save me buying a set of complete drawings for a small section if someone had some they were able to help me with.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I was wondering if a fellow Britmodeller would be able to help me out with some drawings.

I have a WNW Pup which I have ambitious visions of having perched a top a turret platform on HMS Repulse. I'm looking at building the turret as well but need to source some drawings to work from.

As I only need drawings of the turret rear turret I was wondering if someone would have some drawings they could let me have a copy of this section of the ship I could scale up to 1:32. I've seen some ship plans available somewhere but it would save me buying a set of complete drawings for a small section if someone had some they were able to help me with.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Would this be of any use,Mark?Please note I don`t think the plan is reproduced in 350th.When the Repulse was equipped with the Pup,"X" turrets housing was painted black or dark grey ,with white bearing indicators on the sides.The barrels were left painted the light grey then in use.

Hope this is of some help to you,good luck with the build

Cheers Phil

Turret16-11-2011172103.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Cheers Phil, :cheers:

That is fantastic. Would you know any of the dimensions in 1:350 which might help me get the plans into scale?

The info on the markings will come in useful. I have a pic in my Air Britain book which illustrates these nicely.

I'll have to post some pics when I make a start.

Cheers Phil, :cheers:

That is fantastic. Would you know any of the dimensions in 1:350 which might help me get the plans into scale?

The info on the markings will come in useful. I have a pic in my Air Britain book which illustrates these nicely.

I'll have to post some pics when I make a start.

PM sent

Cheers phil,

I'm modelling Y turret and the ramp faces the opposite direction but the drawing should come in useful. See pic below on WNW website.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/www/product...20Page%2021.jpg

I scaled up the plans using the measurements and the drawings you posted above. and the picture below gives me an indication of how big the model will be and it's BIG

Pup_on_turret.jpg

Regards,

Mark

The drawings posted shows sharp corners to the front of the turret. This is incorrect the turret sides and front were made in 1 piece bent to shape.

There is a photo in the link below which shows the turret for HMS Roberts with the roof off, which clearly shows the curved profile

http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/...monitors-part-2

The drawings posted shows sharp corners to the front of the turret. This is incorrect the turret sides and front were made in 1 piece bent to shape.

There is a photo in the link below which shows the turret for HMS Roberts with the roof off, which clearly shows the curved profile

http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/...monitors-part-2

Cheers Niall,

That is a great pic. I'll have to make sure I round the corners when I make it

Phil,

That's a great pic that's what I have in mind. Is that a clock just below the funnel?

Here s the turrets dimensions in 350th scale:

Total length including barrels= 63mm

max width = 28.5mm

Height(less Rangefinder) =8.4 mm

May I suggest that the lower of the two turrets would be the most suitable for Repulses "X" turret.

Cheers Phil

Would I be right in thinking that multipkication of those dimensions by 10 make them 1/35th, very close to 1/32? Great thread by the way, will be of great personal use!

Tony :clif:

dont be a chicken do the whole ship 1/32 scale ;)

That would be really something! I could also scratch build a 1:32 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter for B Turret as well. ;)

To ge the plans to the right size I resized them by 1000% in Photoshop to get them to 1:35 then increased them again my 109% to make them 1:32 I could have probably increased them by 1009% and done it in one go.

The printed plans have thick lines and are very blurry so I will have to use caution when making up the parts the right size. Think I'm going to mock one up from foam board but think I'll make the actual one from balsa skinned with plasticard. The Gun barrels work out about an inch in diameter so a wooden mop handle is a cheap and easy way to source some gun barrels. I can then either try drilling the ends out or just make up the Tampons with the ships crest on them.

Phil, Thanks for explaining the clock by the way.

Regards,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Was pointed in this direction after posting similar questions about HMS Tiger's flying off platform - I have a very similar plan coming together after seeing the photo of Tiger's Pup on the WNW instructions. As I have family connections with Tiger the idea of doing the ships Pup on the Turret is quite appealing.

Sopwith%20RNAS%20Page%2008.jpg

Mark - have you got any further with this?

Are the turrets on Tiger the same as the Warspite illustration?

Was thinking similar construction for turret - balsa scanned with sheet plastic, but have lathe so could, in theory, turn some barrels in plastic.

Iain

On the drawings try the following(Use Windows Paint is better than photoshop) -

1) Save as a 16 colour .bmp file. This will reduce the colours and so sharpen the image.

2) Resave as a 24 bit .bmp and tidy up the drawing. I do this by drawing with red lines, deleting the other colours and then turning the red lines black.

3) Save as a monochrome .bmp file

4) Enlarge to the right size and save as a 24 bit .bmp file.

5) Then tidy up again as before.

Hi all,

Was pointed in this direction after posting similar questions about HMS Tiger's flying off platform - I have a very similar plan coming together after seeing the photo of Tiger's Pup on the WNW instructions. As I have family connections with Tiger the idea of doing the ships Pup on the Turret is quite appealing.

Mark - have you got any further with this?

Are the turrets on Tiger the same as the Warspite illustration?

Was thinking similar construction for turret - balsa scanned with sheet plastic, but have lathe so could, in theory, turn some barrels in plastic.

Iain

Hi Iain

I don't know if Tiger's Turrets were the same as Warspite. but I think I can send you some links to some useful stuff.

This Air Britain book Royal Navy Shipboard Aircraft Developments 1912-1931 is a great reference on this subject and a bargain at only £12

www.air-britain.co.uk/actbooks/acatalog/Royal-Navy-Shipboard-Aircraft-Developments-1912-1931-64.html

Having access to a Lathe will be useful. I don't have that luxury and as the Repulse 15 inch guns work out about 25mm I was going to source some plastic piping or Wooden dowel for the barrels I'm even considering a broom handle.

Regards,

Mark