Ideas Please

Dr Lurrrrve

I'm coming to the stage where i'm ready to do a panel line wash on my pale pink Spitfire FR.IX. Not sure whether i should go for a gray or brown wash. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Rob

Rob

in you have not seen it....

3269411347_cb1aeac6a9_o.jpg

PR pink, as applied to the FR IX in France. IIRC it was taken on a captured German camera loaded with colour film. Looking at the roundels it's a bit washed out, but gives a good idea of "Primarily off white with a hint of red"

If you really had to do a wash, try a pale grey.

HTH

T

Hi Rob,

I like to use a couple of colors/shades when doing my washes. On my pink Spit FR IX, I used Payne's gray (a dark bluish-gray) for the main panel lines like the flight controls, the engine cowlings, access hatches, and so forth; these sorts of "major" panel lines usually have a strong shadow. For the "minor" panel lines between ordinary panels in the skin, I lightened up the Payne's gray a lot, so that it was only a little bit darker that the pinkish-off white main color. A touch of brown would not hurt this secondary color either, but I'd go for just a smidge of it, and keep the wash really light overall. I start off on the light side for the secondary washes, and if it's too light I can darken this secondary shade a bit and re-apply. For what it's worth, I use solvent-based paint, acrylic clear gloss for the decals (before and after), artist's oil paints plus Naptha (lighter fluid) for the washes, and a final clear alcrylic flat or semi-flat final coat. That said, any variation on this will work; the key is to remember that the solvent and acrylic bases of the coatings act as a barrier for each other so long as you keep a light touch with the washes and weathering techniques.

I hope we'll see pics when you are done!

HTH, Yoda

Hi

I personally wonder if the colours are slightly off, my reasoning being the colour of the uniforms of the crews look a little to dark, I think they are supposed to be blue serge BDU, with the colour they are in the photo, they look more like luftwaffe 'blackmen' overalls to me.

Also the photo seems to have a green tint to the left and a blue/purple tint to the right, apparent more so, when looking at the taxiway.

But nice photo thanks for the post.

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Hi

I personally wonder if the colours are slightly off, my reasoning being the colour of the uniforms of the crews look a little to dark, I think they are supposed to be blue serge BDU, with the colour they are in the photo, they look more like luftwaffe 'blackmen' overalls to me.

Also the photo seems to have a green tint to the left and a blue/purple tint to the right, apparent more so, when looking at the taxiway.

But nice photo thanks for the post.

cheers

Jerry

Honestly no idea, looks a like scan from a book, of a WW2 colour pic on captured film..... I wouldn't rely too much on the colour, but it gives an idea of the 'pink' and also the panel lines.

One thing I just noticed are the fake doors and windows on the background hangar.

While a bit off topic, I think RAF ground crew wore pretty dark coveralls. in this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...77840&st=40

Daniel Cox posted this very useful picture. Quite a variety of uniforms and coveralls here, chap on wing in very dark grey and other in faded oily overalls. Even the blue grey service dress is looking quite dark here and the colours are well balanced and well lit, note the hard shadows and low sun angle.

It's hard to see what the chaps in the FRIX photo are wearing, could be BDU, could be coveralls.

PLus Lots of useful details here as well so I though worth a repost.

smoke_0003.jpg

hope not too off topic and of interest.

cheers

T

The original photo is in the RAF Museum library, and there's a sample of P.R. pink in a file in Kew; the only way to tell that it has any colour, at all, is to lay it on a sheet of white paper.

Edgar

While a bit off topic, I think RAF ground crew wore pretty dark coveralls. in this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...77840&st=40

Daniel Cox posted this very useful picture.

Lots of useful details here

Not least the colour of the exahusts! No sign of brick red 'rust' colour… ;-)

/Joachim

Edited by Spitfire31

.....While a bit off topic, I think RAF ground crew wore pretty dark coveralls. in this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...77840&st=40

Daniel Cox posted this very useful picture. Quite a variety of uniforms and coveralls here, chap on wing in very dark grey and other in faded oily overalls. Even the blue grey service dress is looking quite dark here and the colours are well balanced and well lit, note the hard shadows and low sun angle.

It's hard to see what the chaps in the FRIX photo are wearing, could be BDU, could be coveralls.

cheers

T

Hi

Thanks for the photo post,I hadn't seen it before,(it would make a nice model), yep the uniforms do all look darker I must bear this in mind for the future.

Cheers

Jerry