RAF JAS-39 Gripen GR3b

spike7451

I'm about to start work on my 1/48 Italeri Gripen 2 seat.Now I'm toying with a couple of schemes using decals for either the 2 tone gray,gulf war or all over gray.It's going to be armed with 2 ASRAAM's & three ALARMS & a ECM pod.

IF I do the Gulf War one I might arm it with JP233's & ALARMS....

As the cockpit with the kit is naff,I have the Eduard fret set to replace it.(Bit disappointed when I received it from Hannants as what I received was not what was advertised,I was also expecting the two frets to detail the airbrakes ect,but after contacting Hannants,that set is another £14..so I suggested they modify the page to reflect what you get & not what you think you get as the description is misleading...)

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDFE382

EDFE382.JPG

Choices...choices...

Anyway...

The history..

In the early 1990's & with the retirement of the Blackburn Bucaneer & the delay in the Eurofighter Typhoon,the RAF needed a low cost alternative to supplement the Jaguar fleet.Three alternatives were tested,the F-16,JAS Gripen & Rafale.In the end the RAF settled on the JAS Gripen & procured 12 two seat variants.One of the primary roles of the RAF Gripen,now renamed the Gripen GR3b,is SEAD with the introduction of the ALARM missile & is currently in service with 9Sqn at RAF Bruggen in Germany & 12sqn at RAF Lossiemouth

Sounds good Spike, got a few of the 1/72nd kits in the stash and the 1/48th kits so will be watching this one with interest!

Paul Harrison

Look forward to see your RAF Gripen. I've done 3 in 1/72.

Re Hannants 'mis-description' its not uncommon. I have seen a fair number of items on their website that are wrongly illustrated, described etc.

For example check out page 6 of the Specials in their website. It shows a kit(cat. number PLAMV0038 ) that was £40.98 and in the list shows £51.98!!! Saving a 1/3rd! Hmmm.

Edited by Paul J

Weell....did a bit of hacking & got the sidewalls & front IP done,they're currently drying as the so called self adhesive parts are as sticky as a non-sticky thing....I'm going to add a couple of panels to the sidewalls to add detail.Photo's to follow later.

Sounds interesting fella. I'm gonna put a bid in for a green/gray 12 Sqn. Lossie machine (or at least two tone gray if you must) as that would have made a nice change from the Tornados that used to be the only shape howling over my head on an almost daily basis for many years after the Jags went.

Sounds interesting fella. I'm gonna put a bid in for a green/gray 12 Sqn. Lossie machine (or at least two tone gray if you must) as that would have made a nice change from the Tornados that used to be the only shape howling over my head on an almost daily basis for many years after the Jags went.

I'm thinking of using the decals for this Tornado but doing the fin & spine in green...

tornado-gr-4-za543-ff-12-squadron-leeming-29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of slow progress on this one,mainly due to the after market cockpit being a bugger to fit....still trying to fix the front cockpit shroud on it,just can't get it right for some reason...

Anyway,I'm doing it in 12 Sqn anniversary markings using the decals from the MA Tornado sheet so I've done the certain areas in dark green,the canopy is also going to be done green as well & I still need to tidy up the gray demarkation lines.

P021211_1148_012.jpg

P021211_1149.jpg

P021211_1148.jpg

Yes,that's Daisy in the background..

Edited by spike7451

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...