Aires Harrier GR.7 Pit question... Advice needed

Rabspat

Ok thanks to a good friend Graham aka Chocksaway i have most of the pieces for my Harrier GR.9 build of a OP Herrick bird. I am planning to go a little nut on it with resin pit and stores, also if i can find it a Eduard exterior set to spruce it up a little and i am thinking about the aires wheel wells but not sure as of yet.

Anyway back to my question, i have never used an aires pit before, i have brought loads but never used. So does anyone have any advice on how to tackle, fit the Aires GR.7 pit? Anything i should watch out for?

I've fitted plenty Aires cockpits just not to a Harrier kit, plenty thinning will be required to both the plastic side walls of the cockpit (kit fuselage) and the resin Aires parts which often need to be thinned so much you can nearly see through them, I've made a bit of a start to my Harrier build and decided against an AM cockpit as the kit ones not too bad especially with the Eduard set. Just make sure you do lots of test fitting, the instructions are usually pretty good at showing what plastic is required to be cut away to make way for the resin. I've got the Aires wheel wells for my build though and lots of thinning required around the front gear bay, not started on the main bay yet. The detail of the parts is amazing as usual and think the jet looks better with the front gear doors dropped!

Hi Simon,

Assuming that it's the 48th scale kit then the Aires cockpit is probably the easiest one that I've ever had to fit. I built an AV-8B for the recent group build and used the Aires set, which I would imagine isn't majorly different to the GR.7 version. All I had to do was remove the side wall moulding from the kit parts and thin the Aires side walls by about half their thickness. The instrument coaming may need a little removing from the kit part for it to fit (mine did) but not much. I did post some pictures on the build thread HERE which may be helpful.

Pete

Edited by Peter W

I've heard that the set has some inaccuracies in it but have never used one myself.

The problem I do know it's got is that the seat, while being a lovely rendition of an MB12H is too short - it would fit a 4ft 10in pilot but not one of more normal height!

The Pavla MB12H is the right height but has some headbox profile and top detail inaccuracies.

Personally, unless you're going for a competition entry I'd go for the Pavla seat and modify its headbox to suit, and forget about the rest of the ''pit.

HTH,

Nick