Freightdog Models Westland Wasp

mick b

Perhaps they (the Wasps) were to be dropped from V-Force bombers over Moscow, thence to deploy the WE.177? Johnny Russian'd never see it coming!

It was more accurate than a torpedo !!!!!!

Could the Wasp escape the blast from that? or was it a one way deal??

Julien

I think you pays your money and takes a chance!

Wouldn't like to try it personally but WW 177A (600lb) was a standard fit for the Wasp. I think it was single crew member only as the weight was marginal.

Selwyn

Selwyn

• 6 months later...

Hello, no problem!

Progress has been unfortunately slow on this one. The pattern maker has had a high workload in his day job which has led to long periods where he has not been able to work on the

masters. Some progress has been made recently, and the project is very much alive, but I don't know when it will be ready. I certainly will make everyone aware on the forum when we are nearer to a firm release date.

Colin

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is an old thread!

The Wasp is still happening, delays have been long and at times progress slow as Jon Davies who is making it has a busy day job and not much free time to to work on it lately, but in the last few months things have started to speed up. The basic parts have been sub-mastered to split into Wasp and Scout kits, the Wasp will come first. We are hoping to have a final test cast ready at Huddersfield, with the kit on sale at Cosford in April.

Here are a few in progress shots. First the engine, its not finished, this was just a test cast to see if we could get it out of the mould in one piece, which we could. Bare in mind its only 25mm long so your looking at a magnified version;

waspengine_zps2c4ba735.jpg

Next up the Wasp tail boom, I think this is the finished item;

wasptail_zps2a5cea93.jpg

Next the body, these are again test casts at an early stage, to check we can get out of the mould. Since these were done the body and been re-skinned and more details added;

waspbody_zps29eb2b71.jpg

waspbody3_zpsc960abd2.jpg

Hope you like what you see, not finished yet but getting there for 2014!

Colin

• Like 2

Will you be accepting any pre-orders? Or perhaps you'll be commissioning a 500 of these. These are surely in most of our top ten 'wants' - has there ever been a 72nd one of these?

No pre-orders necessary, but there will be plenty. I would LOVE to sell 500, but I don't think the market is there unfortunately. There has been lots of interest, and that is what keeps us going on the project, its been a long time coming!

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models

Nope, never a Wasp in 1/72, just conversions from the old Airfix Scout.

It's a complicated beast to get right so Colin and co have been super-brave with this one but it does look brilliant and well worth the wait.

Too right its complicated! Jon has been struggling for a while to get it as good as he can, and picked up a good few tricks along the way. This is the first complete kit he has mastered, having only done one conversion before that. I'm very happy with how its turning out, and looking forward to seeing how he has progressed on the masters over Christmas.

Anyone who has talked to Jon at show's will know what he thinks of the Airfix Scout as a basis for a Wasp conversion, its not a good starting point to make a Wasp or a Scout to be honest.

Colin

• Like 2