IT'S NOT A TONKA!

jacksdad

Quite often I see the Tornado called a Tonka/Fin and the large fuel tanks called Hindenbergs.

Now there have been posts on here from people who worked in/on the Tornado's who claim that these names are not used.

So I'm wondering, where did it all start? Was it an R.A.F. slang thing or was it started by aircraft enthusiasts/modellers?

Oh, and I call it a Tornado.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Quite often I see the Tornado called a Tonka/Fin and the large fuel tanks called Hindenbergs.

Now there have been posts on here from people who worked in/on the Tornado's whop claim that these names are not used.

So I'm wondering, where did it all start? Was it an R.A.F. slang thing or was it started by aircraft enthusiasts/modellers?

Oh, and I call it a Tornado.

Steve

I joined the RAF in 1983, I did my training alongside ex-Tonka linies, they called them Tonkas so it pre-dates 1983, we all called them Tonka's, everybody in the RAF called them Tonka's, I'm always gonna call them Tonka's - I ain't never gonna call them by their proper name.

Never heard them called Fin whilst I was in the RAF, I only heard that later and assumed it was a name given given by enthusiasts/spotters but apparently some Tonka types refer to it as the Mighty Fin - pass the bucket :sick::puke:

So there you have it - IT IS A TONKA!

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

Thanks for clearing (?) that up Wez.

It's just that one of the people that mentioned the name thing was a grow bag and I ( :doh: ) thought he would have known.

You're welcome - as for grow-bag speak, don't get me started!

Wez

I, and everyone I've worked with has called them tonka's, but we never call the tanks hindenburgers, we call them big jugs (which I think is better). While we're on the subject the part that everyone calls the wing glove is in fact known as a nib. Had to clear that up it's been bugging me for ages.

• Like 1

sooty. Now I have heard them called big jugs before, which I kinda got.

Wez - Talking of grow bags, one of my favourite memories of when I was 2622 Sqn at Lossie was sneaking our way into a big officers bash and a couple of us got an officers wife :wicked: if you know what I mean. One up for the Regiment (no pun intended)

Edited by jacksdad64

I, and everyone I've worked with has called them tonka's, but we never call the tanks hindenburgers, we call them big jugs (which I think is better). While we're on the subject the part that everyone calls the wing glove is in fact known as a nib. Had to clear that up it's been bugging me for ages.

Yup.we called the drops Big Jugs as well,never heard of them called Hindenburgers.

hindenburgers sounds like a disease

big jugs sounds like an entertaining evening :)

When I worked for Rediffusion on the Tornado simulators (Technical Author writing updates to the sim AP's) the aircraft was either referred to as the Tornado, or Tonka.

One of the mods I was involved in on the GR1 was the wing sweep limiter to enable the carriage of 2250's - and, again, that's what we called 'em - never (as far as I can recall) - 'Hindenburgers'...

Edit - I seem to recall - as well as being referred to as the 'Fin' in some circles - the F3 being described as the 'Flying Flicknife' - but don't recall that as a service term...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I suspect a lot of these names are invented by people who have no connection whatever with the real thing but would dearly like one and think that if they come up with a macho, willy-waving name, it will make their own willies bigger. "Flying Flick-knife" sounds exactly like one of those.

• Like 1

I suspect a lot of these names are invented by people who have no connection whatever with the real thing but would dearly like one and think that if they come up with a macho, willy-waving name, it will make their own willies bigger. "Flying Flick-knife" sounds exactly like one of those.

Thanks, I needed to know that.

Tonka was definately used but I don't recall the use of Fin. They were affectionately known as 'Her Majesty's Hideous Death Bombers' on the TWCU line :)

Edited by JonP

Tonka was deffinately used but I don't recall the use of Fin.

I'd agree with that. Never heard the term "Fin" while I was in the RAF. It was always "Tonka". I've heard Tornados referred to by other names as well - mostly in the heat of the moment. :lol:

So why are they called Tonkas? (I'd never call 'em that, but hey!)

Any reference to the eponymous, reputedly indestructible toys of the same era?

Al

I ain't gettin in to that one again. :door:

Had this conversation with THEY'RE NOT WHITE THEY'RE LIGHT GREY (Spike) a while back and I think we'll call it a draw :D

We used to call the 2250s :bouncy: big jugs or Limas.

Spike, Deci Red :who-let-rip::puke: slightly worse than the no legs later stuff we used to drink in Italy but on par with the gut rot you got at Chris Kebabs in Akrotiri