IT'S NOT A TONKA!

jacksdad

Christ, couple of memories going through this here thread now.

Can vaguely remember the pool in Deci and I was going through there in 86-90.

Spuwey bottle corks flying across the yard across the 'NAAFI', was that the Nags Head ? I can remember the name but not where it was.

I can remember the bar being a little joint and there was a walled courtyard outside in which we all sat ? I can also remember us climbing tables and jumping the wall one night when the Coppers turned up waving guns because we had been somewhat reluctant to leave.

Italian NCO's mess, bloody cheap food and decent beer,

The Cloggy, or was it the German Bar, good beer...

Was down there with 19(F), remember being somewhat surprised to see Belgium ground crew cracking bottles of beer at about 0930 before going to service the F-16 s prior to them going up against the Phantastic Phantom.

Pizza down the Via Roma in Caggers ? Remember a night being sat in a Pizza Parlour in the middle of town, one of the boys gobbing off about the Costra Nostra at the same time as a local 'gentlemen' walked in and was given a bundle of cash out of the till no questions asked.....

Being in an MT coach on a Sunday morning going through some village on the way to a beach at the north of the Island, it got stuck trying negotiate a tight bend, and about thirty of us jumping out and trying to bounce the thing up and down on its springs to give the needed couple of inches.

And that probably ends what I would like to mention on a public forum about Deci trips....

Edited by PLC1966

Unfortunately no, because what happens on Det stays on Det to protect the guilty and the innocent.

No one is innocent! It's just that some are more guilty than others!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

plc1966,

yes mate that was the Nags Head, or Nuralghe Club to give it it's proper name. For some reason again in the mid/late 80's the Italians decided to build an Armoury behind the Nags Head. It was all alarmed and barb-wired and everything. Before we left the bar we'd have a sweepstake to see how many guards we could get in the ground between the wire and Armoury. All it took was a strategically lobbed can to set the alarms off...... and count..... then leg it before the conscripts started taking aim !!!

To be honest we spent most of our time in the German Bar. Good food and beer and the 3 Italian waiters, Guido, Gessepie and Luigi to wind up.

The mountain road coach ride to Villasimius. With the Italian Job theme music running through a Deci Red stained brain.

Too true Jabba. If my missus knew what I got up to on det she'd divorce me, AGAIN!!

Oh happy days !!!

Scoots

Unfortunately no, because what happens on Det stays on Det to protect the guilty and the innocent.

nodnodnod Detachment rules.

Unfortunately they only last as long as it takes for the first person to get drunk and talkative. :lol:

yes mate that was the Nags Head, or Nuralghe Club to give it it's proper name.

Actually it was the Nuraghe Club. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuraghe

However, it was commonly known as the Neuralgia Club. :lol:

The place with the courtyard was the traditional Nag's Head. It went through a few "facelifts" in its time but eventually in early 1991 it was closed down and the club moved across the road to a building which had been an NCO's club for one of the other nations. That club was very plush indeed and the Powers That Be kept a very short leash on what was allowed to happen in there. So no more can fights or spuwy cork barrages. And certianly no defenestration! :fraidnot:

Dunno, but it was 92 Sqn who nicked the Apevan which used to sell tortoise butties and put it on the roof of the ACMI hut!

This time in English??????!!!?!???!

Okay...

Piaggio make a range of three wheel scooters known as Apes. http://www.piaggioape.co.uk/

There was a chap who owned one of these and he used to tour the lines and sell sandwiches from it. As Scootsah said, it became known as the Grub Bug. The sandwiches where made from local rolls which looked a bit like a tortoise. When fresh they were quite nice but when not so fresh - as in no more than three hours - the crusts were so hard that they resembled a tortoise even more!

The Grub Bug was really light and we used to delight in annoying the bloke who drove it. We would stand at the back of the Grub Bug until he got inside and fired it up. Then we would pick up the back end so the wheels were off the deck. The first time we tried this the bloke gunned the engine because he didn't know what was going on. When he finally realised, he leaned out of the cab, shook his fist at us and yelled "Bastardos!" We laughed and dropped the back end. Unfortunately he was still gunning the engine and the Apevan popped a superb wheely and shot off down the line like a rocket! The back doors popped open and the tortoise butties all flew out all over the line. Instantly the line was swamped with Deci Dogs going for the butties and we had to stop all aircraft movements 'cos the dogs were more interested in the butties than they were in avoiding aircraft! :lol: Eng Ops were not impressed!

There were two huts on the Brit Line, the APC hut and the ACMI hut. The squadron which was on Armament Practice Camp would occupy the APC hut. ACMI stood for Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation. The squadron which was using the DACT Range (Dissimilar Air Combat Training) would occupy the ACMI hut. The internal walls of both huts became covered with various works of art depicting each squadron. The famous Deci Wall was next to the APC hut.

92 Sqn nicked the Grub Bug once and put it on the roof of the ACMI hut. Which was really strange as the ACMI hut had a pitched roof, not a flat one.

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1

T7.........no not getting it. I must be dim or sumfink

Trevor

Look carefully at the radar on the nose and the shape of the front end ...

(In case anyone is wondering, that scooter is nothing to do with monkeys. It's the a-pay, as in bee - a handy companion to the better-known Vespa.)

• Like 1

(In case anyone is wondering, that scooter is nothing to do with monkeys. It's the a-pay, as in bee - a handy companion to the better-known Vespa.)

:doh: So obvious once it's explained!

Although I would deny that Apis is handier than Vespa. Wasps are actually more important pollination vectors that bees. They are also very efficient pest controllers. The bees just have better PR....

The inner pedant in me must point out that although "vespa" is Italian for wasp, Vespa is the generic name for hornets. Wasps are Vespula. :smartass: