IT'S NOT A TONKA!

jacksdad

And the Argosy were known as the 'Whistling Tit'............

XVTonka (need to spell it right now) :pilot:

I thought it was the Whistling Wheelbarrow?

Trevor

Like a lot of these names, there's the polite version and what those who actually worked on it call it.

Wez

• Like 1

Are you accusing me of being polite old bean?

Trevor

Heaven forefend dear chap!

I recall Harriers being referred to politely as Steam Budgies, more commonly they were called SNUFF's

Heaven forefend dear chap!

I recall Harriers being referred to politely as Steam Budgies, more commonly they were called SNUFF's

Thank you dear fellow

Ok I'm going to bite..........SNUFF?

Trevor

Snuff ... short, noisy, ugly, fat ... ?

during a deployment to Turkey I did hear a C-5 Galaxy referred to as an `Aluminium Overcast'

This is a fairly common one - it's been applied to the B-52, the B-36, and even (in Flight International) to the 747. Though of course for all American types it's aloominum. (Interesting factoid - apparently they've promised to say alyoominyum and we've promised to put an "f" in sulphur. Hasn't worked, though, has it?)

You can learn a lot about the difference between Them and Us from the Vulcan and the A-6. Had we invented the Intruder it would have been the Tin Tadpole, as the Vulcan was the Tin Triangle. But no, it's the Iron Tadpole. Grumman's reputation notwithstanding, that's just silly.

Mix Deci red! What sort of protective clothing did you wear? Just a thought would it be a good undercoat for a Red Arrow model, or would it do unimaginable damage to the plastic?

Deci, there's years of therapy down the drain for reminding me.

Too many nights in smoky joes bar drinking that stuff.

I remember the incredible shrinking bridge you used to cross the storm drain to get there, it was about 3ft wide on the way to the bar, and appeared to be about 3mm wide when you tried to cross it on the way home!

Of course I never ever fell in the storm drain......!

Decimomannu was not the end of the world, but you could see it from there............

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

Deci may not have been the best place to go, but in a perverse way I loved the place. Somewhere to let your hair down, contaminate the swimming pool by not wearing a skull cap !! and wait for the Carabinierri to turn up. Then you just threw the Jengo at them and let him sort it out/ get arrested !!!!

Happy days !!!

Scoots

• Like 1

Deci may not have been the best place to go, but in a perverse way I loved the place.

Me too! :lol:

contaminate the swimming pool by not wearing a skull cap !! and wait for the Carabinierri to turn up. Then you just threw the Jengo at them and let him sort it out/ get arrested !!!!

By "swimming pool" I assume you mean the fountain in the roundabout opposite Half Price Harry's? :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I thought it was the Whistling Wheelbarrow?

Trevor

Didn`t the Beverley crews out in the Far East also call the Argosy the `Crisp Carrier' due to its unimpressive lifting capability compared to Blackburn`s heavyweight.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

No Enzo. In the late 80's (88 I think), the Italians opened a swimming pool behind Block 131. The day before it was officially to be opened we ( I was on 31 then ) went for a swim. Unfortunately we were spotted by some Italian orifice who blabbed about it. The Carabinierri arrived, turfed us out, pointed guns at us ( we pushed our Jengo forwards at this point!!!) who was promptly taken away for interrogation. The upshot was we had been swimming without skull caps on and had contaminated the water which was completely emptied, scrubbed and refilled before a re-convened opening ceremony, thankfully after we left!!!!!

Happy days

Scoots

PS. Who did put the Fiat 500 in the fountain roundabout?

But which Smoky Joe's? It burned down three times that I know of...

But I promised in court on oath that had absolutely nothing to do with that............... ever.

Honest your Honour! :shutup:

Selwyn

(Hearing a distant set of "Bracelets" rattling!)

Edited by Selwyn

Didn`t the Beverley crews out in the Far East also call the Argosy the `Crisp Carrier' due to its unimpressive lifting capability compared to Blackburn`s heavyweight.

Cheers

Tony

But the Argosy was much faster than the Bev, which was reputed to be the only aircraft type ever recorded to have received a bird strike on the trailing edge of a wing!

Selwyn

• Like 1

If you clowns can organize a group build, surely you can assemble a terrific oral history of the RAF c. 1970-1991.

The problem is that you are only hearing the things that we now feel safe enough to tell after all this time!!

If only you knew the truth of what we can't tell............................!

Selwyn

• Like 1

The problem is that you are only hearing the things that we now feel safe enough to tell after all this time!!

If only you knew the truth of what we can't tell............................!

Selwyn

DON'T THINK THIS DOESN'T EAT ME ALIVE.

• Like 1

Ah yes !!! I knew it as the Grub-Bug. Oddly enough that appeared inside Block 131 one day, on the UPPER floor. Can't say if I was involved (he-he ) but I was on a Jag Recce sqdn at the time.

Happy days !!!!

Scoots

If you clowns can organize a group build, surely you can assemble a terrific oral history of the RAF c. 1970-1991.

Unfortunately no, because what happens on Det stays on Det to protect the guilty and the innocent.

• Like 1