Accurate Armour 1/35 Lynx AH7

Lynx7

Nice work Tony, like how you have added the extra bracing on the tail rotor section. As Mark said i too was wondering where you were with this or even if you gave it up as a bad job :P :P

I will let you know when the bits arrive.

Merl

Merl, when I start a job...I see it to the finish!!! This one especially :D

I've been working on the windscreen solution of late and heres where I am with it;

6542844083_3cfcb5f504_z.jpg

I managed to get some decent castings of each windscreen frame (quite a challenge due to the awkward shape of the frame). The frame with the white filling; I carefully cut and inserted thin plasticard in to the screen gully and built it up so it sits nearly flush with the outside of the screen frame. The real aircrafts windscreen sits almost flush with the frame as opposed to being recessed. If you build it as per the kit, it sits too deep within the frame. I have 'masters' of the shape of the inserts so it now allows me to use those as templates.

By making castings of the screen frame, I've allowed myself to play around with some ideas off board of the main model. If I were to fit the screen as per the 'instructions' it would mean inserting 2 very flimsy bits of clear acetate before the fuselage halves are put together. In my mind, this would create huge problems as it could be very easy to damage them once the fuselage is together (merl can testify to this as I believe one of his screens has popped out a bit and nigh on impossible to repair!). Not to mention protecting them massively through the filling, sanding and painting process. So, with my plan, I intend to cut the frame off the fuselage halves completely. Whatever method of screen I decide, I can insert the screen as a whole part once the fuselage halves are together with minimal filling and sanding required. A bit like how the 1/72 Airfix Lynx screen solution works.

How am I going to construct the screens? Not really finalised that one yet but I have a couple of ideas.

1. By using the excellent methods from MakingModelsAgain, I intend to construct a vacform device. I'll build up the back of the screen with milliput so it can act as a good solid master then vacform each screen plus frame. Downside to this method is my final vacformed screen and frame will be slightly larger than the original. I'm hoping that the tolerances will allow it to be fettled down to correct size.

2. By thinning out the recessed guttering a bit, I will insert the thin acetate provided to allow the screen to sit almost flush with the frame. Downside to this is the potential to mark or fog the acetate with glue. dabs of PVA may prevent this but it will also mean the inserted screens are fragile.

3. As with quite a lot of my Lynx scratch building, I'll use the methods they use on the real thing. I will make the frame sections separately and use them to sandwich the clear screen under it by affixing tiny drilled pins. For this, I will need to lose about a year of my life and develop a x30 zoom on my eyeballs!!!

Whichever method I decide on, the advantage is I have a separate screen and frame area off the main model so I'm not totally committed to fitting the screens prior to fuselage join.

Tony,

This is awesome work buddy, just kidding about you not finishing as i know you too well not to finish something you start :)

I was thinking about having a go at fixing the windscreen, but with how flimsy it is I am thinking i would do more damage to it so i am going to leave it well alone and possibly retire it from show duties too.

Roll on the Airfix and Revell releases to quell my Lynx addiction :)

Another quick intermediate tail rotor gearbox update.

I decided to mould and resin cast an ITRGB just so I have a few spares and it also allows me to fiddle about with a resin one without bits falling off the original.

6565853785_cc307aecce_z.jpg

Dry fitted for now. Its modular so I can take it all out and only fit it once the tail boom is attached, painted and finished.

(I made sure the oil level is sufficient :D)

6565853125_a280647dab_z.jpg

Heres the real thing. The no3 drive shaft cover is open on this one. mine will be closed.

6565888539_380afba79d_z.jpg

6565852239_ba56ea9c59_z.jpg

Nearly complete now but just need to add a bit of white stencilling to the drive shafts.

Tune in for the ALQ144 IR Jammer :D

Edited by Lynx7

Christmas nearly over so its a good time to get some serious modelling in.

Bit of an update (juggling this and my Tamiya 1/350 I-400 Submarine build...nowt like diverse)

Starting to make a start on various ancils so heres the start on the ALQ144 housing. Brass tube cut and shaped with milliput used to shape the lower section

6594407789_dff6aac3fc_z.jpg

6594408727_f30f1a0681_z.jpg

I then resin cast it. The actual 'disco ball' is from Fireball Models where I also got my 1/48 ALQ from for my 9A Lynx. Great little company and quick excellent service.

6594409817_40cc33f4f9_z.jpg

5934684423_c3ccf008f3.jpg

Still undecided which weapon system I'll fit. Either a 7.62mm GPMG or a .50 Cal M3M. I'm tempted to do both and have them as a role fit so I can pick and choose. Anyway, this is the Live Resin 7.62mm M240. The US M240 differs from the L7 in that the forward area around the barrel has furniture to accept a picatinny rail. I havent found such a detailed GPMG as the one that Live Resin do so I decided to convert it slightly. Took off the furniture and lower return gas tube and had to fit a new one with a new gas plug. This is now fitted with carrying handle and bi-pod legs (stowed).

6594411135_1a95db37ca_z.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_35014-Instruction-big.jpg

Next is the bottom avionics bay door.

6594414499_c54fcf1c8f_z.jpg

Being slightly OCD, I decided to make the scratch one with a workable mechanism.....

6594411939_982714a3e2_z.jpg

6594412693_4631604ffc_z.jpg

And yes, the handle is fully functioning with the mechanism on the inside... :o

I've got some tiny PE hinges on order and need to make the antenna base box plus the earthing strips (wonder if scalextrix contact brushes will work?? :D )

Intermediate Gearbox cover scratch built using the kits very nice PE mesh

6594413407_e83fcce8ed_z.jpg

And delivered today....I plan to make this in to a bit of a diorama. I'm going to stick a REME tech inside the rear avionics bay with just his legs showing. I plan to have a doorgunner waiting to role fit all his kit prior to a sortie but obviously waiting for the aircraft to become servicable. He'll be sat on his trolley with all the crews kit; bergans, jerrycan of water, webbing, ammo and either an M3M or GPMG laid on the trolley. I ordered some heads from these chaps (HistorexAgents) who are the distributors for Hornet & Wolf. Truly superb sculpting and the resulting resin heads are amazing;

6594415315_85bdd8007d_z.jpg

6594415975_974e1680be_z.jpg

6594416913_7f4a4ae6a9_z.jpg

I oredered two head sets that comprise of 5 different heads with individual expressions. Most 1/35 figures or heads I've seen are either too cartoony or just dont look realistic. These on the other hand are brilliant! Excellent service from Historex too. Ordered them 3 days ago and they arrived today. I've ordered this for his body (AVDM/Azimut 1/35 Apache crew actually but I can slightly modify his LCJ and suit to represent one of ours)

SL741218.JPG

Cracking build!

It was good to have a chat with you at Middle Wallop and to see the AH9A in the plastic - I thought that was fantastic, this one looks as if it might better that!

BTW SiL passed and starts Lynx conversion to type in March, then off to Gutersloh in Sept for con to role. He is one happy bunny.

Cracking build!

It was good to have a chat with you at Middle Wallop and to see the AH9A in the plastic - I thought that was fantastic, this one looks as if it might better that!

BTW SiL passed and starts Lynx conversion to type in March, then off to Gutersloh in Sept for con to role. He is one happy bunny.

Excellent news mate! :D

Thanks again for all your positive comments

Mate great work on the rear avionic bay, like that you have actually made the door mechinism truelly amazing work. Just out of curiosity how much of the original kit do you think you will not use. :P Hope to see it at MK if not before.

Just out of curiosity how much of the original kit do you think you will not use. :P

Hopefully wont use most of it! At present on my workbench, the only original piece I've used is the cockpit/cabin floor. The rest is scratch or recast. Wonder if AA will give me a refund if I send them a load of parts back once I'm done? :D

Wonder if AA will give me a refund if I send them a load of parts back once I'm done? :D

Or perhaps you could sell them copies of the accurate parts so they could release a decent model....?!

Great work so far, really is a quantum leap over what AA provide!

Keef

Hi Tony,

Great progress mate,what sort of kit you planning for the role equipment,MK15's,MS10? Looking forward to more updates.Exellent work from the other half in RFI.

Regards

Mark :giles:

I was thinking of a couple of Mk15s, Mk60/61 jackets, a bit of body armour for the DG with his Mk61, a few daysacks, his Mk4B4, webbing, his personal gat plus either a GPMG or M3M with relevant ammo. Basically all the poo-poo we got the DG to lug to the cab in NI :D

If I decide to do it as a 657 cab, the front helmets will be Alpha helmets with DNVG