The USMC are buying all the RAF Harriers

Dave Fleming

Talking about using them to replace the F-18D

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=822...c=AIR&s=TOP

Extra decal options !!!!

Can the USMC fly them out as well? Pretty please, Uncle Sam?! At least they'll be going somewhere useful and they won't continue sitting around in a hanger doing nothing.

Seems we wuz robbed. Definitely a bargain for the US. I suppose its money for the HMG coffers and at least they will be used. Have any been earmarked for the RAF museums over here though?

Also its a bit like a reversal of the time we bought 2nd hand F-4J Phantoms back in the 80s'!

Edited by Paul J

I believe that one's been tagged for Cosford & one for Yeovilton. I've heard that a third one is also going to a museum over here, but haven't heard that from a source I trust.

If plans have changed, there's a few people closer to the action than me on here who will correct me.

I was told over the weekend that the 'frames will probably be roaded out from Cott & sea-freighted to the US, which would make sense as shifting them and their spares holding etc by air would be a massive undertaking even for the US.

G.

isnt this old news?

i heard this months ago, possibly on FC but i know that ALL ariframes and spares have ot be out of Cott and wittering by March, as thats when the Army move in

there has been talk about them being containered up and shipped to Waddingotn or mildenhall and taken out by GALAXY!, as they come over here full and go back empty

Guy i know is a crane operator at Cottesmore. All dismantling will be completed soon as he's being made redundant (as are several) at end of December. Items USMC dont want are being destroyed (eg: glazing with forks of a forklift). Shame as i could still do with some bits...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53384

there has been talk about them being containered up and shipped to Waddingotn or mildenhall and taken out by GALAXY!, as they come over here full and go back empty

Just asked a few questions, and yes, they are leaving via C-5's at 'hall. They are today pumping preservative in the airframes for the trip and conducting a loading test.

Edited by Dave T

i e-mailed cosford to ask if they were getting a harrier, this was my answer

We are in the process of being allocated a GR9 by the RAF, so keep checking on the Museum website or local press for delivery dates. Hopefully by early next year.

Edited by goose

So would this open up the opportunity for former RAF/RN Harrier Pilots to join the USMC or is that something that just isnt done??

British pilots have certainly done exchange tours with the USMC before. Such a programme would certainly retain carrier ops experience in the RAF and FAA.

British pilots have certainly done exchange tours with the USMC before. Such a programme would certainly retain carrier ops experience in the RAF and FAA.

Yup,RAF aircrew have flown most,if not all,of the US aircraft inventory,from the Tomcat to the Stealth bomber.

I believe that one's been tagged for Cosford & one for Yeovilton. I've heard that a third one is also going to a museum over here, but haven't heard that from a source I trust.

If plans have changed, there's a few people closer to the action than me on here who will correct me.

I was told over the weekend that the 'frames will probably be roaded out from Cott & sea-freighted to the US, which would make sense as shifting them and their spares holding etc by air would be a massive undertaking even for the US.

G.

Together with a VC1O and a Nimrod

So would this open up the opportunity for former RAF/RN Harrier Pilots to join the USMC or is that something that just isnt done??

Only US citizens can be commissioned as officers in the US Navy so no. I doubt there will be any more AV-8B/B+ exchange tours as there would be no point to them.