PSP colouring

Buzby061

I've recently bought some 1/48 Flightpath etched brass PSP to use as a base for a Spitfire.

Anybody know what colour it was?

Thanks in anticipation

Pete

Steel - although all of the stuff I've worked with has taken on a distinctly rusty patina, it can be painted too for local camouflage.

Wez

All the PSP that I ever worked with was rusty. Whatever the original finish was when it was new it obviously soon got wheathered and rusty. It was afterall used to create a stable platform over ground liable to being affected by the weather IE rain. Lay any piece of steel on ground that is likely to get wet, run vehicles or aircraft over it and quite soon any protective covering gets worn away and it will start to rust. It was effectively out of service when I was in but I did teach on it and I did lay it for real in the Falklands. Like I said it was always rusty. I think that it might have had some sort of coating when new and that it was black. I don't think that this was paint but something akin to the preservative coating on tank tracks; but don't quote me on that. It would certainly look good made to look rusty with grass and weeds growing through the holes. This of course would be shorter in areas of high traffic.

PSP came in 3' and 6' lengths and laid so that the joints overlapped, they were locked in place with spring clips 2-3 per section. We were, sometimes, issued with new ones of these which were finished in the black finish mentioned earlier and this is the reason that I believe that PSP might have had the same finish when new?

Yep rusty coating, out of high traffic areas, more in unused areas/ less in infrequently used areas.

Steel surface color where driven/walked on, but with some rust and possibly black/OD in the holes and in locking side joints.

Never saw any new ones so no idea re: cover color but it would make sense

HTH, Good Luck with the project.

Thanks for the info folks. I'll break out the Mig pigments.

Interesting to read about the Eduard PSP. The Flightpath etched brass ones have to be folded & then fitted like the real thing - thank heavens for hold & fold!

Thanks again.

Pete

On this subject, I was surprised that Eduard released this month a pre-painted plastic PSP board in 1/72, and even more surprised by its colouring:http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/PSP-colour-1-72.html

HUMMMfile033.jpg eye of the beholder? or perhaps in the Czech Republic, the mats are that color ^_^

Thanks for the info folks. I'll break out the Mig pigments.

Interesting to read about the Eduard PSP. The Flightpath etched brass ones have to be folded & then fitted like the real thing - thank heavens for hold & fold!

Thanks again.

Pete

Yeah, but that makes you a, better modeler .... er- more true to life ....er- on a higher skill level.... er- quality over quanty.... er- a stickler for authenticity.......er-just pick something and then stick to it-no matter what the real reason is whistle.gifno_talk.gif

Seriously post some pictures, would like to see how this comes out

Yeah, but that makes you a, better modeler .... er- more true to life ....er- on a higher skill level.... er- quality over quanty.... er- a stickler for authenticity.......er-just pick something and then stick to it-no matter what the real reason is whistle.gifno_talk.gif

Seriously post some pictures, would like to see how this comes out

All that holding & folding doesn't take into account my sausage fingers - I'm not a real etched brass wrangler. :deadhorse:

Will post some pictures when it's done.

Pete