1/48th BAC (TSR 2) Eagle GR1 , 3 squadron, RAF 1970

Sean I completely understand where you're coming from! Those of us on the SIG feel the same way but also feel that the only way to carry on the spirit of the aircraft is to model it as it could and should have been.

As promised for those of you interested here are some outside shots hopefully capturing the spirit of the real deal and just what might have been had the whole project been dealt with competently. These and the build pics will be feature in an extensive article I'm getting together for Military In Scale and should appear in the near future.

(I still plan to add some more bits and pieces including RBF tags, ladders, ground and aircrew and some ground handling equipment but that's for later).

Thanks again for all your comments and hope you like it :cheers: ,......................right on with the F-111K........................hooray, (in best Lord Flashheart fashion),

Melchie...

SIG?

XV926 of 3 squadron sits on the Honington QRA pad ready and waiting for her next mission...................What If.........If only !

P1120041-3.jpg

P1120042-2.jpg

P1120045.jpg

New PE wheel hub detail courtesy of the great Wolfpack set...I think it adds a huge amount to the look of the landing gear,

P1120039-1.jpg

P1120037-1.jpg

P1120047-1.jpg

P1120051.jpg

P1120046-1.jpg

P1120053-1.jpg

Mrvr6, our SIG Project Cancelled, (as well as Research & Development) includes members with a great deal of knowledge on the TSR 2, including Damien Burke, Tony Buttler, Joe Cherrie and Chris Gibson, names you might recognize. I have a sizable database on a lot of the cancelled projects which makes modelling them reasonably straightforward and a real treat.

The F-111K is up next as I have all I need on that one and then it's onto the huge (F-155) Fairey Delta 111. I've already had the detailed drawings of the beast scaled up to 1/48th along with systems information, weapons and avionics layouts. It'll be started early next year once I have everything ready to go.

Something like this, (with apologies to the artists) ,

FD3.jpg

F-155.jpg

Notice the 3 squadron aircraft, I'll more than likely go for a camo finish similar to the TSR....

raf56___fairey_delta_iii_by_darthpandanl-d3ycnfn.png

Cheers,

Melchie.

Edited by general melchett

Yep, sadly no one has steppped up to the plate with this one so far, (despite my desperate lobbying in certain quarters :clap: ), though in all fairness it's a truly massive beast, bigger than the TSR 2, (think huge Javelin), even more so in 1/48th and would cost an absolute fortune if produced in resin and white metal!! So the only alternative is to scratchbuild one..in fact a donor Heller Mirage IVA is winging it's merry way to me as I type this. Ali of Alleycat has kindly said he would produce a one off canopy for me, (the most complex part of the aircraft) and Wolfpack some resin wheels, just need to stock up on Plasticard, Milliput and Elbow Grease now!!,

sadly i couldnt make it to telford, however im glad to see this here, as always andy stunning mouth watering work, that does indeed look fab.

the proposed kit does sound interesting. all the best rob

Thanks fellas, Rob, shame you couldn't make it, would have been nice to sit down and talk all things Vulcan and your music, maybe next time!, woody, yep if only...at next years show there should be a few more in the line up... :wicked:

i might put mine on the display if youll have them?

Thanks again chaps, VX Tonks,

With regards to the Fairey Delta III drawings, are they commercially available in 1/72 scale?

No sadly not, they were lent to me by one of the guys on our R&D sig who has already built a couple in 1/72nd. Since then more info has come to light and I'm busy at the moment gathering everything together.

The plans are original Fairey brochure but as they aren't mine I'll have a word and see what the situation is re copying them,

Cheers,

Melchie, ( :ninja: under cover of the official secrets act :ninja: )

Edited by general melchett

Many thanks, really appreciate your help.

XVTonker

Thanks again chaps, VX Tonks,

No sadly not, they were lent to me by one of the guys on our R&D sig who has already built a couple in 1/72nd. Since then more info has come to light and I'm busy at the moment gathering everything together.

The plans are original Fairey brochure but as they aren't mine I'll have a word and see what the situation is re copying them,

Cheers,

Melchie, ( :ninja: under cover of the official secrets act :ninja: )

Notice the 3 squadron aircraft, I'll more than likely go for a camo finish similar to the TSR....

raf56___fairey_delta_iii_by_darthpandanl-d3ycnfn.png

Oh no you don't! Get back on that Alclad chap, my shares have fallen since you stopped making gargantuan Russian bare-metal birds!

Thanks Vitor, glad you like it, as for paints well the camo is Gunze RAF dark green 2(H330), Gunze medium sea grey (H335)and undersides Tamiya X2 gloss white and Gunze satin white and character white(107) for various panels , Blue Water missiles, Gunze gloss white (1) mixed with a little light gull grey(11) and Gunze off white (60) white for variation, Martels, Tamiya X2 and Gunze off white (60). All metal areas Alclad, duralumin, magnesium and dark aluminium, black areas Tamiya NATO black, washes with Promodellers dark and light dirt plus my own mix of Winsor and Newton burnt umber and lamp black oil and white spirit wash for gear, bays and cockpit...... hope that helps...

Al..fear not I have re invested in 'quantity', don't pull your shares just yet (oooh er).... as I need a new consignment delivered by rail ready for the 3MN Bison, B52F, ERB-47H and Blinder early next year.......meanwhile the nmf 5 squadron FD 3 looks mighty tempting!!, :wicked: though our SIG want a camo jobbie to go with the TSR2..hmmm, choices !! :hmmm:

that is one stunning TSR 2, the black and white photos are thought provoking, if only! a great build, the weapons- sea eagle and what's the big missile (sorry if you have said already)

Thanks again guys, I'm glad it provokes thoughts about what could or should have been, that's the whole idea of doing these to high light the decisions wise or not made by our illustrious governments over the years...

Probably a silly question but the grey/green color used by the RAF are the same since the WWII? (Spitfire, Harrier for instance...).

Vitor, I really don't know to be honest, I think they are slightly different for the more modern aircraft but I'm sure, others here will know, The green I use is Tamiya XF-81 RAF dark green 2 ...(I'm guessing that the 2 is important), the medium sea grey seems standard though.

Goose, the smaller missiles are Martels, (anti radiation version) and the bigger ones are Blue Waters, (a paper proposal muted to convert the ground launched missile variant to be able to be air launched by TSR 2), though cancelled early on. Martel went on to have a long career mostly used by Buccaneers and formed the basis for the much more capable Sea Eagle..

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie...