1/48th BAC (TSR 2) Eagle GR1 , 3 squadron, RAF 1970

Finally finished for Telford this is my rendition of the TSR 2 as the BAC Eagle GR1 aircraft as used by 3 squadron. Those of you who have followed the build will recall that way back in the mists of time I decided to have a go at fixing the shape issues with the forward fuselage that to me totally ruined the look of the model and to be honest I was more than tempted to build the Dynavector vac as I wanted a more accurate model. I then sat down and with help from a few guys on the R and D sig decided to tackle the Airfix kit head on and hack the thing to bits to get the shape right from the off. It was a lot more work than I thought and involved a lot of head scratching and research but thanks to several folks including Damien Burke, Chris Gibson and Geoff Baker the model slowly took form. The most difficult areas being the intakes and crazy oversized 'bulge' on the top of the mid section.The build is here for anyone interested Melchies TSR 2 build .

Many resin and vac add ons were used here including Cammet , CMK and Model Alliance decals as well as good old Milliput and Evergreen Plasticard. If anyones interested I've been asked by a certain manufacturer if I would make up some masters of the fuselage mods and produce them as a large conversion set for retail. She's been finished in markings for XV926 of 3 squadron circa 1970 armed with Blue Water tactical nuclear missiles and a pair of Martel anti radiation weapons.

Anyhoo enough waffle, here's the finished article, just a few quick shots pre packing away for the show...when I get back I'll do some better outside ones.

Hope you think it was all worth the effort,

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie...

If you are coming to Telford It will along with me be parked on the Research & Development table so come along and have a chat, (we hope to have Chris Gibson and Damien Burke with us so all things TSR 2 will be the flavour of the day)

XV926 of 3 squadron sits on the Honington QRA pad ready and waiting for her next mission...................What If.........If only !

P1120041-3.jpg

P1120042-2.jpg

P1120045.jpg

New PE wheel hub detail courtesy of the great Wolfpack set...I think it adds a huge amount to the look of the landing gear,

P1120039-1.jpg

P1120037-1.jpg

P1120047-1.jpg

P1120051.jpg

P1120046-1.jpg

P1120053-1.jpg

P1110930.jpg

P1110935.jpg

P1110939.jpg

P1110936.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 17

Welllll..... its ok, I suppose :hmmm:

I couldn't leave that for long Andy! :tease: its a tour de force of splendid modelling. The sheer amount of work involved is exceptional, but nailing the slimline look of the fore section, sorting out the bulge and finishing off with a realistic whiff and perfect paint job just takes the biscuit.

After seeing much of your work on here, I'd have thought the surprises were past but somehow you still managed it.

Great result, enjoy Telford!

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

That's rather nice Andy. Inspiring stuff. Been thinking of something similar for the 72nd scale kit but as a 12 Sqn. maritime strike machine and seeing your work is bringing it closer to the bench.

Well worth the wait Andy.

I know that I've taken the p*** a bit about your choice of colour scheme but it's a stunner.

With both you and Martin turning out such informative and interesting threads, there is plenty of help for people wanting to build the Airfix kit.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

Thanks again chaps, glad you like it, Larry I'm sure you'll make a good job of the old thing..it just takes rather a lot of time and not a little patience..

Cheers Chris, I know you weren't a huge fan of the camo, bulges and bits but I think it adds a new dimension to the beastie, glad you like it,

Martin..well mate..it was a bit of a marathon wasn't it!!, but yes I have to conceed defeat in the end, very nice job by the way..see if you can get it onto the R&D table at some point..they will make a nice pair..(as the bishop said!!),

Melchie..

Edited by general melchett

Thanks again chaps, glad you like it, Larry I'm sure you'll make a good job of the old thing..it just takes rather a lot of time and not a little patience..

Cheers Chris, I know you weren't a huge fan of the camo, bulges and bits but I think it adds a new dimension to the beastie, glad you like it,

Martin..well mate..it was a bit of a marathon wasn't it!!, but yes I have to conceed defeat in the end, very nice job by the way..see if you can get it onto the R&D table at some point..they will make a nice pair..(as the bishop said!!),

Melchie..

I'll see what the competition secretary says on Sunday. Perhaps if I'm ultra nice to him....

Martin

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Both your's and Martin's have spurred me on to finally start the first of my batch. It won't look anything like as good as either of yours tho....

Wish I could get to Telford this weekend, but unfortunately I have family commitments....

WOW!!!!!!!! If only it was a model of the actual aircraft that saw service. Nearly as good as WP215 Andy, but then you may say I'm biased. Enjoy Telford along with all other Britmodellers.

John G (exbrat)