Airbrushing Art

roys

I am interested in airbrushing things other than plastic models and want to try pictures and customising my cycle. Spotted a maroon lorry recently airbrushed all over the back doors as "ghost train",in a single silver colour.

Extremely clever in the way it was done and this is something I would like to try.Now the ghost theme lends itself to airbrushing but as a newbie to the world of art any help or links would be appreciated!

Would need a set of acrylic auto paints for my bike-any recomendations? Ink for paper I presume

Would need a set of acrylic auto paints for my bike-any recomendations?

Yep.

I have used Wicked Detail Colours by Createx, superb paints ready to AB straight from the bottle, in fact the pigments are ground finer than model paint, and as such will spray through even a 0.15 nozzle apparently.

Or they also do a "Standard" range of Createx AutoAir colours, which include opaques, transparents, candies, pearls etc.

Createx... Here, are an American company, but their paints are freely availble in the UK.

Just recently finished a project for a friend, using Createx Colours.

DSCF1549.jpg

DSCF1548.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

Edited by pte1643

This is probably not what you had in mind, but I use my airbrush for painting fishing lures.

I've dabbled a couple of times with airbrush art as yet nothing finished. I've used Magic Color (sic) and Windsor and Newtons both liquid acrylic and AB ready. I've even tried it fora car model but it wasn't successful wrong primer I guess!

Colin @ the bottom of Africa

PS, I visited the Ron Belling Art Gallery in Port Elizabeth yesterday, what a collection, the visit gave me some inspiration to complete and S-55 painting I started too long ago but got bogged down with the silver finish. Ron apparently only used grey, blue and white for his metal finished aircraft. If you fancy having a look at his work go to www.ronbelling.co.za sadly Ron departed this world in 1998, he does however leave a legacy of some very fine work.

Colin @ the bottom of Africa.

I've dabbled a couple of times with airbrush art as yet nothing finished. I've used Magic Color (sic) and Windsor and Newtons both liquid acrylic and AB ready. I've even tried it fora car model but it wasn't successful wrong primer I guess!

PS, I visited the Ron Belling Art Gallery in Port Elizabeth yesterday, what a collection, the visit gave me some inspiration to complete and S-55 painting I started too long ago but got bogged down with the silver finish. Ron apparently only used grey, blue and white for his metal finished aircraft. If you fancy having a look at his work go to www.ronbelling.co.za sadly Ron departed this world in 1998, he does however leave a legacy of some very fine work.

Colin @ the bottom of Africa.

Tried to visit the website you mention, but all there is is "website under construction."

Hi Chaddy, Sorry you couldn't get into the site, I didn't try it myself just copied the address off the brochure I picked up whilst there. If I have time next week I'll give them a ring see what's potting.

Whereabouts in Manchester are you, I was drug up in Sale and then when we came out of the Navy we lived in Stockport and then in 1980 we emigrated down to South Africa.

I used to run the Lancs/Cheshire branch with JP Desprez after Ron Fielding stepped down as chairman. I have fond memories of the club.

I dabbled with painting sci-fi art when I was about 17 using a crappy Humbrol "airbrush" and some frisket film. Given the limitations of my skills and the airbrush, I didn't do a bad job copying someone else's work as a test, but for some reason art in the traditional sense doesn't interest me as much as it used to. I prefer model kits these days :shrug:

Try convincing young ladies to get their kit off and you'll give them a spray tan.

Nigel

That works out fine, eh? Or perhaps, you could take up body painting....

SSHHHHHHH

My wifes fingernails :blush:

it gets worse...

after masking with Tamiya tape!

She insists on only the best!!!!

Christian the Married

• 1 month later...

Am a uni Lecturer in amongst other things, tech ill, i still teach limited use of an airbrush to illustration students so thay have an idea of what they are trying to achieve when working in photoshop or illustrator.

mark

• 5 weeks later...
I am interested in airbrushing things other than plastic models and want to try pictures and customising my cycle. Spotted a maroon lorry recently airbrushed all over the back doors as "ghost train",in a single silver colour.

Extremely clever in the way it was done and this is something I would like to try.Now the ghost theme lends itself to airbrushing but as a newbie to the world of art any help or links would be appreciated!

Would need a set of acrylic auto paints for my bike-any recomendations? Ink for paper I presume

i once had to use one in my job as a paint sprayer to do a commision for youngers tartan brewers and it involved hand airbrushing a van in all over tartan they then wanted us to do the fleet we declined their offer very rapidly bob

Edited by bob the lanc lover

I've done airbrushing for some film stuff, sadly nothing big but it's still good when it comes about as there arn't many in the trade that can airbrush so I'm lucky! I'm looking at getting into it as a side business though soon.

...if you search on Amazon in Books for "Airbrush", you'll find that the vast majority of the books on offer are NOT about using an airbrush to paint models. Photoshop and Illustrator may have more or less done for the airbrush in 2D illustration, but for anything 3D or not printed, then it's still the tool of choice, it seems...

This one:

How to Master Airbrush Painting Techniques (Motorbooks)

seems to be specifically about custom paint jobs on motorbikes and cars...

(I haven't tried any of these books... I just remembered from when I WAS looking for a beginners guide to airbrushing scale models, it was hard to find one amongst all the art, auto and nail art advice!)

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon