Canberra PR-9s

Hi all,

Built these three one after the other last year, so now that I am no longer just a "lurker" I thought you might like to see them.

They are all the Xtrakit 1/72nd kit which I think is pretty good, with nice fine panel lines and accurate detailing regarding shape. I was going to build The Airfix 1/48th kit but to be honest I'm a bit sick of PR-9s now!

Painting was done with Alclads for the sixties silver scheme, Xtracolor enamels for the grey/green eighties scheme and xtracrylics for the hemp nineties scheme. These paints were new to me at the time so I used these builds as a bit of an experiment. The outcome was Alclad, xtracolor enamels excellent, the Xtracrylics not so good, I just couldn't get on with it. Thanks for looking, any feedback good or bad welcomed.

027-1.jpg

0302.jpg

022.jpg

026.jpg

0242.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

oh wow there sooooooooooooooooo nice, i love canberras and those are possibly the best finished ones ive seen so far amazing work there, and welcome to the site,

all the best rob ta for sharing with us.

Really like those - thanks for posting. Rather like the Hemp one myself! What did you find problematic with the acrylic?

Pat

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

The problems I had regarding the Xtracrylic paints were that they kept on clogging the airbrush even though I used their own thinners and added extra flow enhancer. They continually spat dried paint onto the model, which was a little frustrating to say the least. Also when removing the masking tape [Tamiya tape] It pulled up the paint in patches, so I'm not sure if it's just me doing some thing wrong or that I had a bad batch of paint. The model was de-greased prior to priming with Halfords plastic primer.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

The problems I had regarding the Xtracrylic paints were that they kept on clogging the airbrush even though I used their own thinners and added extra flow enhancer. They continually spat dried paint onto the model, which was a little frustrating to say the least. Also when removing the masking tape [Tamiya tape] It pulled up the paint in patches, so I'm not sure if it's just me doing some thing wrong or that I had a bad batch of paint. The model was de-greased prior to priming with Halfords plastic primer.

Any ideas?

I had the same problems with Xtracrylics and moved on as I couldn't overcome those problems. Shame as they have a great range of colours. Check out the tricks and tips section of the forum for advice on paints etc.

A fantastic collection of PR9s, I particularly like the Alclad finished 13 Sqn bird. I think the Xtrakits PR.9 is the basis of a very nice model and in my mind beats hands down the more recent Airfix version with its heavy trench lines and poor fin shape. I so wish though that a mainstream manufacturer would release a decent IM 1/72 B.2 variant. It looked as though Italeri were but it seems that plan may have been shelved.

Thanks for showing these lovely birds, they are truly inspirational.

Mark

oooh nice

Very well made aircraft, far too good to lump them in as "just models"

I've a soft spot for the Hemp one myself but having not yet used Xtracrylics I will probably work in Xtracolours when I make one, I like those.

Anyway I digress, blimmin love your cranberries they are lovely :)