43 Squadron Camoflaged Furies

FZ6

Hi This is my first post on this Forum.

I'm currently building a 1:48 Impact Hawker Fury and I fancy doing a camoflaged one circa 1938.

I only have a side profile Illustration of the particular aircraft I want to do from Scale Aviation Modeller International. I was wondering if the camoflage followed a specific pattern i.e standard A or B Schemes I was also wondering about the size or roundels on the upper surfaces and the colour of the lower surfaces.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Hi This is my first post on this Forum.

I'm currently building a 1:48 Impact Hawker Fury and I fancy doing a camoflaged one circa 1938.

I only have a side profile Illustration of the particular aircraft I want to do from Scale Aviation Modeller International. I was wondering if the camoflage followed a specific pattern i.e standard A or B Schemes I was also wondering about the size or roundels on the upper surfaces and the colour of the lower surfaces.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Greetings! and welcome to Britmodeller.

Can't help directly but the Flight magazine archives have some nice black and white pics of 43(f) Furies like this one:

http://www.flightglobal.com/imagearchive/I...Image=FA_16481s

And this one!

http://www.flightglobal.com/imagearchive/I...Image=FA_16477s

Cheers,

Troffa

Edited by Troffa

Welcome to the forum! Hope this helps:

Upper surfaces: dark earth and dark green in both A and B schemes.

Fuselage roundels: 25" with 10" red centre

Upper surface roundels: painted out altogether, at least at one stage

Underwing roundels: 35" with 14" red centre. In some cases starboard roundel painted out altogether.

Undersurface colours: port wings night, starboard wings white, remainder of fuselage and tailplane aluminium. On some aircraft the ailerons were left in aluminium, on others the starboard aileron was black and the port white, on others the starboard was black and the port aluminium.

Source: Camouflage and Markings 5: Gladiator/Gauntlet/Fury/Demon by James Goulding/Richard Ward.

Nick

Thanks guys that helps a great deal.

The photos are really impressive as well. Looks like there is one of those yellow squares of gas sensitive paint on the lower starboard wing too

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the referal to the photo site. I looked around it & found some beautiful pictures of the Boulton-Paul Sidestrand. I have the Esoteric vacform kit in my to build collection & the pics should give me a lot of help. Carl T

I went off line to go through the full 118 photos on your referal site, and what a GOLDMINE of information can be collected from them. The section on the Bristol 138 is history in photos & it reminded me of the old Frog 1/72nd scale kit. The 2 line -up photos at Northolt in May 1939 are interesting for the variety of aircraft types on display just before WW2 broke out. The photos of the Hawker Furies & Demons have provided very useful markings info. Great reference for someone on this side of the pond. A big THANK YOU from Carl T