1:48 Airfix F.3

Reading this build diary has brought back some bad memories.

Seeing the fuselage and wing pics has sent shudders down my spine.

Bad. Very Bad.

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

:wall::wall::wall:

:mg::mg::mg:

:hanging::hanging::hanging:

Edited by GoonerChris

I'm so glad you put that second layer of putty on Mish.... One session just wasn't gonna cut it, was it? :fraidnot:

Once you've got it close to how you want it (no, not a miraculous transformation into an Italeri kit!), you could try smearing CA over the filler, which will make it stronger, less porous, and easier to feather at the edges. Do sand it immediately though, as it gets tougher & tougher as it cures. In fact, sometimes I sand while it's still damp(ish), as the dust created sticks to the wet glue & helps fill in the little pits that might still be there.

Just finished a session with the pile of :shit:

I've sanded it down and it looks okay'ish. Put the tail on and filled the gaps around that.

But and this is a big but I've dry fitted the air intakes and OMG the gaps I can deal with but the step on the lower edge :o

I don't know how Im going to over come it.

Photos in a bit as the camera battery is charging.

Don't forget that at the top rear of the intake join to the fuselage, there's actually supposed to be a step, with the smallest of gaps.... have a close look at some reference pics & you'll spot it :)

Don't forget that at the top rear of the intake join to the fuselage, there's actually supposed to be a step, with the smallest of gaps.... have a close look at some reference pics & you'll spot it :)

this is true do not get rid of the gap at the top as he says it is meant to be there if you look at the german tornado on my banner it just shows.....

Edited by tornado64

Mish,

I've got the perfect ccrimbo pressent for you....................

anglegrinderly3.jpg

JB.

Mish,

I've just got my (abandoned) Airfix Tornado out and trial fitted the intakes to the fuselage and the fit is nowhere near as bad as yours. So perhaps you have done something wrong in assembling the intakes and/or misaligned them when fitting. Some things to check :-

1. Do you have the "D" shape on the outside of the intake? This "D" shape mates against the fuselage side and buts against the vertical step created when the fuselage top & bottom are joined.
  2. Eliminate the bottom "step" by aligning the bottom of the intake with the bottom of the intake on the fuselage. There should now be a 1.5mm step at the top - this is correct it is where intake air "bleeds" out of the intake.

If this isn't clear let me know and I'll post some pics.

HTH,

Ian

Ian's right, there is a bleed gap at the top side of the intake. If you get the bottom edge lined up, the top should be higher than the rest of the topside.

If there is still a step I would use Milliput to smooth it off.