1:48 Airfix F.3

OMG :gobsmacked: Youve got yaself a filler Queen there Sis :yikes: Seats look alot better now though :thumbsup2:

Bex

the technique on the tornado fuselage as with the bucc do not try to glue all at once they respond better to a staged glueing working around the fuselage holding till area is dry then onto next section :mental:

Those are some SERIOUS gaps, aren't they? :S Mine went up in the loft of the workshop last week, for the time when I might need some donor weapons for my Italeri kits. Anyone that moans about the corrections needed on the Italeri Tornados needs to be given one of these & forced to build it at gun point! :lol: It makes Karl's build all the more impressive, when you think of the tat that he had to work with.

Don't give up Mish... just use the experience as seam filling practice :S

Exactly what I did tornado, its a p**s poor fit.

yep they arn't good the gr's are better my airfix f3 was a better fit but neer the jet intakes area it looked like the yts lad had used a 4 inch grinder to dress it with a big grind hole looks nice finished though ( honest ) as with all tonkas carefull with them fragile main landing gears

bloody hell someone got a good one to start with mine took more filler tha an alpha sud practicaly everything needed re-scribing bomb bay door was warped mind you thaught myself lucky as it wasnt as bad as the rest

thaught it had been left in front of a fire but was re assured that was how they came ......

Plastic being ejected from the moulds before it had properly cooled. There were a batch that came out of Trun like that, one even resembled a banana it was that bad.

Exactly what I did tornado, its a p**s poor fit.

Yep

Have you noticed those panel lines yet as well mish. ie the bottom of the kit is raised, the top engraved. (Major Airfix corner cut) and the fit on this so poor it is beyond believe that they still have the front to sell the damned thing. At one time these kits sold for as little as £7.00 on evil bay.

I started one many moons ago, never finished it, and finally binned it. Purely awful kit, and with that sort of performance, it's little wonder Airfix went to the wall again.

hopefully third time luck we seem to have a businessman in charge, with a team producing what people want.

Good luck with it Mish,

Dave

Mish,

Use the one without the front RHWR.I think that the other one is from either the old F2? or their GR4.

Merv

It's from the new tooled parts for the GR4 - included in this kit to enable an EF3 to be made with the Alarms.

The lack of fit between upper and lower parts shows what happens when you tool the parts 20 years apart! Upper fuselage was re-tooled to correct a couple of minor problems (mainly too long airbrakes IIRC)

You have to remember it's mainly a 1983 Palitoy kit. The original had a better fit between the halves!

Edited by Dave Fleming

Yep

Have you noticed those panel lines yet as well mish. ie the bottom of the kit is raised, the top engraved. (Major Airfix corner cut) and the fit on this so poor it is beyond believe that they still have the front to sell the damned thing. At one time these kits sold for as little as £7.00 on evil bay.

I started one many moons ago, never finished it, and finally binned it. Purely awful kit, and with that sort of performance, it's little wonder Airfix went to the wall again.

hopefully third time luck we seem to have a businessman in charge, with a team producing what people want.

Good luck with it Mish,

Dave

one went for 3.20 on ebay today i had 3 quid on it :wall:

I just dug my started attempt at the Airfix F3 outta the attic & I'm going to crack on with it.

Noticed I'd replaced the cockpit with an old Italeri GR? one & modded the Navs pit as well as replacing the main gear bays with old Italeri ones as well.

Merv

On with the horror story....

Now we have the tour of the gaps

yvqa66.jpg

yvqa6u.jpg

yvqa6v.jpg

yvqa6w.jpg

Oof! i remember this from the Airfix GR.4 i did for one of Osher's group builds on FineScale.

It is possible to do it Mish, takes a bit of TLC and elbow grease. No problem for a builder of your caliber!