Damian's Profiles: A pair of RAAF Kawasaki T-4's for you!

damian

Now we move on to the RAF's A-4s.

Up for display we have a machine from 51 Sqn showing off three of the schemes worn by the type in RAF service.

1. First up is the original 3 tone scheme:

A-4ERAF51SQN1.png

2. Next is the 2 tone wrap around:

A-4ERAF51SQN2.png

3. And the above scheme "winterised" :

A-4ERAF51SQN2winter.png

To complete this eveing's (well morning here) posts I give you the FAA A-4s :)

1. 899 Sqn with a hi demarcation:

A-4EFAA899SQN2.png

2. 899 Sqn with a low demarcation:

A-4EFAA899SQN1.png

3. 899 Sqn prepped for the Falklands campaign. All hi-viz markings were over painted and black ID numbers applied:

A-4EFAA899SQN3falklands.png

4. 899 Sqn post Falklands. Here the machine boasts a EDSG canopy on a MSG overall scheme:

A-4EFAA899SQN4.png

5. 899 Sqn. In the 90's a wrap around disruptive pattern with DSG and MSG and lower viz markings:

A-4EFAA899SQN5.png

BONUS:

These two 800 Sqn machines were done so I could see the difference in the roundles to the 899 machine and to try out my self drawn 800 fin art :)

A-4EFAA800SQN2.png

A-4EFAA800SQN1.png

Well there you go I hope you've enjoyed that :) And and all comments and crits welcomed!!

D

Damian,your profiles are utterly WICKED !! :thumbsup::worthy::worthy::mental:

Y'know....to be honest,(for some strange reason),i thought they were GENUINE !!

Even so,that is good,imaginary,work,"more,more" !!

Lets see some off-beat Tornadoes,soon,please....

Or even,(post war),Bf 109 K-4's Fw 190 D-9's,or even,Spitfire F.22's ??

Hope that gets you going??

Cheers,Bazza.

Edited by Bazza

Damian,your profiles are utterly WICKED !! :thumbsup::worthy::worthy::mental:

Y'know....to be honest,(for some strange reason),i thought they were GENUINE !!

Even so,that is good,imaginary,work,"more,more" !!

Lets see some off-beat Tornadoes,soon,please....

Or even,(post war),Bf 109 K-4's Fw 190 D-9's,or even,Spitfire F.22's ??

Hope that gets you going??

Cheers,Bazza.

Thanks Bazza :) Got plans for late mark Spits and some Fw 190s so stay tuned!

I'm on an SA Navy kick at the moment but once done some Tonkas are on the drawing board as well as SAAF stuuf and the on to a South African Marine Corps :)

D

i've just thought of something else,equally intriguing.....!! :hmmm:

RAF F-16's !!(Especially a "Tigered-Up" 74 Sqn example!!) :speak_cool::yahoo::heart:

Just an idea ??

Colours could be "Traditional " F-16 scheme,or....."Hellenic" version !!

Looking forward,Cheers,Bazza.

Edited by Bazza

i've just thought of something else,equally intriguing.....!! :hmmm:

RAF F-16's !!(Especially a "Tigered-Up" 74 Sqn example!!) :speak_cool::yahoo::heart:

Just an idea ??

Colours could be "Traditional " F-16 scheme,or....."Hellenic" version !!

Looking forward,Cheers,Bazza.

Okay it's not an F-16 (that blank is still in the pipeline) but it is 74 Sqn :)

A-4E74SQN1.png

D

Okay it's not an F-16 (that blank is still in the pipeline) but it is 74 Sqn :)

A-4E74SQN1.png

D

Well done Damian,"you,da Man" !! :thumbsup::worthy:

Thanks,Bazza.

How did I miss this thread?

Really like the idea of this one and have some suggestions of how to improve it. Your line work is of the STARBOARD side of the aircraft shown in reflection. This means that you have a number of items that should not be on the port side, namely the steps on the side of the cockpit, the oil vent on the cheek fairing and the fuel drain mast below it. The panel lines of the aux intakes should also be visible through the roundel, and the fuelling point is missing along with its markings as is the rescue marks. Also not sure about the radome hinge. :)

But like I said, great idea. Apparently the notion of putting the FA2's Blue Vixen radar on a Harrier II was looked into but deemed too expensive. It would undoubtedly have been more capable than the Hughes equipped +, but we'll never know.

3. Lastly we have a Royal Navy GR.11 from 801 Squadron. She has a full colour tail which sports an oversized unit insignia. Under the cockpit is a full colour unit crest. She's shown in a clean configiration. On the blank side of things I suspect John used the same method as me to get a radar Harrier from the same blank source :) I'm busy with an AV-8B II + but she's not quite there yet.

RN801SqnGR11.jpg

Edited by Kirk

Oh - I keep spotting things ('cos I'm a self confessed sad Harrier rivet counter/measurer):

1) Probably ought to have the larger LERX with the "frog eye" engine bay inlets

2) Circular GPS missing

3) Access panel to throttle missing (roughly where your 2nd step is)

4) Ark Royal? Queen Liz or Prince of Wales surely?

5) Serials? If new build, it wants to be "above" ZG 862.

6) Someone nicked your PWRs & ECM!!

You know you want to update it really... :winkgrin:

Oh - I keep spotting things ('cos I'm a self confessed sad Harrier rivet counter/measurer):

1) Probably ought to have the larger LERX with the "frog eye" engine bay inlets

2) Circular GPS missing

3) Access panel to throttle missing (roughly where your 2nd step is)

4) Ark Royal? Queen Liz or Prince of Wales surely?

5) Serials? If new build, it wants to be "above" ZG 862.

6) Someone nicked your PWRs & ECM!!

You know you want to update it really... :winkgrin:

Indeed I am, this is one of my early works and I'm slowly reworking my profiles to "bring them up to date" :D

Where does one go to find refs for the items you mentioned? Its only recently that i've started being "more accurate" in terms of what i'm trying to portray so would like to get it right on the second swing through!

D

Hi Damian.

I'm guessing your original Harrier outline came from the Hasegawa kit instruction sheet? There should be a port side profile which will give you the position of 3 and 5.

Dunno what I was thinking about with my "PWR" quote :frantic::bangin: ; I think my brain-fade was caused by your missing Missile Approach Warning radome which is just a semi circular profile on the aft end of the tail boom - it's kinda mustard coloured and appears on the Hasegawa GR7 instructions, as do the Electronic Counter Measures gubbins (a hemispherical lump on the wing tips, one on the trailing edge of the ventral fin & a rectangular lump on the same). I think (& can't remember without looking it up) these are an integral part of the Zeus system which includes those distinctive horns on the nose cone. Maybe these could be re-located behind your radome under the nose? Anyway, point is these are all on the GR7 instructions, which also features the smaller profile of the infra red sensor (forward of the screen).

100% LERX is the larger, curved fairing on the forward end of the wing root. It's found on all AV-8B+ aircraft so will appear on the Hasegawa instructions, along with the raised inlets which replace the small circles you have at the root of your drawing's wings. Alternately, Mike of 2 Mikes made a very accurate resin 100% LERX so he may be able to share drawings with you. If he likes you :winkgrin:.

The circular GPS aerial appears on modern GR9s - so pretty much any image from airliners.net will show you where it is, on the dorsal surface just aft of the wing iirc.

Regarding the correct fin letter for QE or Prince of Wales, you'll need one of the navy experts here - waaaay out of my depth. I only know the "R" is for aRk Royal.

If none of this makes sense, PM me and I'll see if I can sort you out an image with the relevant bits highlighted.

Cheers, Kirk.

PS/ Perhaps the thing you REALLY need is the Hasegawa Italian Navy AV-8B+ instructions. That aircraft has 100% LERX, frog eyes and AMRAAMS (the whole point of the radar imho) so would make a good staring point; perhaps a plea in the "Wanted" section would get you them? I'd stick with your FA2 radome though - looks really good on the II.

Hi Damian.

I'm guessing your original Harrier outline came from the Hasegawa kit instruction sheet? There should be a port side profile which will give you the position of 3 and 5.

Dunno what I was thinking about with my "PWR" quote :frantic::bangin: ; I think my brain-fade was caused by your missing Missile Approach Warning radome which is just a semi circular profile on the aft end of the tail boom - it's kinda mustard coloured and appears on the Hasegawa GR7 instructions, as do the Electronic Counter Measures gubbins (a hemispherical lump on the wing tips, one on the trailing edge of the ventral fin & a rectangular lump on the same). I think (& can't remember without looking it up) these are an integral part of the Zeus system which includes those distinctive horns on the nose cone. Maybe these could be re-located behind your radome under the nose? Anyway, point is these are all on the GR7 instructions, which also features the smaller profile of the infra red sensor (forward of the screen).

100% LERX is the larger, curved fairing on the forward end of the wing root. It's found on all AV-8B+ aircraft so will appear on the Hasegawa instructions, along with the raised inlets which replace the small circles you have at the root of your drawing's wings. Alternately, Mike of 2 Mikes made a very accurate resin 100% LERX so he may be able to share drawings with you. If he likes you :winkgrin:.

The circular GPS aerial appears on modern GR9s - so pretty much any image from airliners.net will show you where it is, on the dorsal surface just aft of the wing iirc.

Regarding the correct fin letter for QE or Prince of Wales, you'll need one of the navy experts here - waaaay out of my depth. I only know the "R" is for aRk Royal.

If none of this makes sense, PM me and I'll see if I can sort you out an image with the relevant bits highlighted.

Cheers, Kirk.

PS/ Perhaps the thing you REALLY need is the Hasegawa Italian Navy AV-8B+ instructions. That aircraft has 100% LERX, frog eyes and AMRAAMS (the whole point of the radar imho) so would make a good staring point; perhaps a plea in the "Wanted" section would get you them? I'd stick with your FA2 radome though - looks really good on the II.

I got all the profiles from good old airwar.ru so that Harrier is cobbled together from a GR.5 (hence the LERX duh!!!) and FA.2. I'll find the Italian AV-8 instruction on 1999.co.jp and incorporate the 100% LERX in to the design (again DUH!!! on ym part, didn't think when slapping together various profiles...) oh yeah and will re-scale the bloody canvas so I don't chop off the back of the pic :P AMRAAMS I already have so that will bring those in too :)

Thanks for all the help!!

Damian

• 3 months later...

Hi All!!

Well its been quite awhile since I've posted anything here!! I appologise for this!!!! Well today I bring you the Skyhawks of France! We'll all just pretend that this was a good idea and cut right to the mustard so to speak!

1. Flottille 17F '70s

A-4EFlottille17F.png

2. Flottile 11F '90s

A-4EFlottille11F.png

3. EC-2/3 Champagne '68

A-4EEC-23Champagne68.png

4. EC-2/3 Champagne '72

A-4EEC-23Champange72.png

5. EC-2/7 Argonne '89

A-4EEC-27Argonne89.png

6. EC-01/012 Cambresis '78

A-4EEC-01012Cambresis78.png

There you go! I hope I've got them right and I hope you enjoy them!!

D

Hi Damian - just found your thread - bloody marvellous!!

Love the French 'Faucons du Ciel' too!! especially the first one in the early camo. And the SAN Crusaders too. How about decking out the "HMNZS Wellington" with some Kiwi F-8s and perhaps SHARs?? or even an S-3 Viking? just a thought.

Oh - 1 more - have you any Vulcan profiles? 'cus a USAF 'B-54H' in the SIOP scheme would look dead cool. As would a SAAL one in the Bucaneer scheme.

Top stuff

Jonners

Hi Damian - just found your thread - bloody marvellous!!

Love the French 'Faucons du Ciel' too!! especially the first one in the early camo. And the SAN Crusaders too. How about decking out the "HMNZS Wellington" with some Kiwi F-8s and perhaps SHARs?? or even an S-3 Viking? just a thought.

Oh - 1 more - have you any Vulcan profiles? 'cus a USAF 'B-54H' in the SIOP scheme would look dead cool. As would a SAAL one in the Bucaneer scheme.

Top stuff

Jonners

I'm going to be redoing my F-8 template in the near future so some NZ naval machines would be a definite go there! Ditto the S-3 :) As for the Vulcans, I can't seem to find a decent profile. But I'll keep looking as I think the SIOP Vulc would look AWESOME!!!

Cheers!

Damian

Hi All!!

Well time to get back to what-ifs!! This mornings offerings are some Korean war P (or F is you prefer)-51Hs.

1. 12th FBS USAF

P-51H-5-NA12FBS18FBG51.png

2. 39th FBS USAF

P-51H-5-NA39thFBS51.png

3. Korean Air Force

P-51H-5-NAROKAF.png

4. 77 Sqn RAAF

P-51H-5-NARAAFKorea.png

5. 2 Sqn SAAF

P-51H-5-NA2SqnSAAFKorea.png

There we go! I hope you enjoy them!!!

D

**EDIT: Didn't like the 12th FBS shark's mouth so I redid it :)**

Edited by damian

• 3 months later...

Ok...4am LMT...had to do this TWICE because of a power cut BEFORE I saved...no matter we persever!!

I'm calling the F-35C blank ready for the fun stuffs!!

F-35Cblankshaded.png

:)

D

ps. Hmmm what to do with it??

Okay so the first two profiles aren't SAN or SAAF but I like them anyhow :P

1. VFA-192 CAG:

F-35CVFA-192goldendragons.png

2. VFA-192 Line bird:

F-35CVFA-192goldendragonslinebird.png

Sorry guys it was USN first...

D

Come on Damian, give us a radical African scheme! :tease: No more greys! :raincloud: Thinks outside the box..................expand your mind................go native! :hobbyhorse:

I dare you! :evil_laugh:

Richard.

Hi guys!

Only one for now. She's from 1st Fighter/Attack Sqn in 80th anniversary markings for South African naval aviation:

F-35CSANAnni.png

What do you think??

D