Damian's Profiles: A pair of RAAF Kawasaki T-4's for you!

damian

South Africa received her F-100's after France bailed out of NATO. They had to give up their MAP F-100s since they were no longer partnered with the US and NATO so France transfered all F-100s to the SAAF for anti-communist operations in Sub-Sahara Africa.

First up is a machine from No.4 Squadron. She is seen here in her NMF delivery scheme that the SAAF F-100s wore in the early 60's...

SAAFF-100DNMF.jpg

The hi-viz schemes did not last too long however. As the SAAF found itself committed to fighting in Angola a new regiem of camoflage was instituted fleet wide. The colours where dark earth and brown over a light admirality grey with only the roundel and rudder being left in the full colours of the first scheme. Unit marking were also done away with and a colour banding being applied instead, here the red band denominates No.4 Squadron.

F-100DBushWarI.jpg

During the course of the "Angolan Intervention" the "bush scheme" was found lacking in that the light grey contrasted to sharply with the evening skys. As a solution to this a revised colour scheme was adopted fleet wide. This consisted of Hun Grey undersides and flanks with a high demarcated dark earth and dark green disruptive pattern on the sides and upper flight surfaces. The colour coding for the squadrons remained as well as the adoption of lo-viz squadron badges, numbers and other airframe markings.

F-100Dlatescheme4SQN.jpg

After the retirement of the F-100 from active service most were sent to their ends as targets for SAMs and air-to-air missiles. A few however were spared this fate, some ended up in private collections and static museum displays across the country and globe. One was kept flying by the SAAF Historic Flight unit. This aircraft although marked 807, which was the first F-100 to drop ordinance in anger, is actually 810. 807 was lost with her pilot to a SAM over Goma in the mid 80's.

SAAFF-100DNMFhistoricflight.jpg

Hope you enjoy it!!

D

Edited by damian
  • Like 1

Hi All!!

Last two for now :)

First is a USAF Hawk.200 she's done up in something approximating the Hill II scheme. She a 421st FS machine out of Hill AFB.

Hawk200USAF.jpg

Then from a galaxy far, far away I present you with a candy red and white Mobquet Flare-S swoop bike. She's good for 650 km/h :)

Flare-Sswoop.jpg

Any comments will be most apprieciated!! Also I'm feeling a little more confident now so if there's anything you'd like to see drop me a line here or via pm.

D

Hi All!

Today's update fetures a quartette of Hawk 200's :)

1. For Martin aka Hatchet is an RDAF Hawk 200

Hawk200RDAF.jpg

2. For the members here who wrestle bears and permafrost I give you a CAF Hawk :)

Hawk200CAF.jpg

3. Because I can't seem to find nice unit insignias for RAF planes I've gone with 245 Sqn and an updated roundel. If anyone can point me in the direction of good quality artwork for RAF units (eg 617 or 9 Sqn) I'd be most delighted!

Hawk200245SqnRAF.jpg

4. And finaly a SAAF Hawk 200 :) I couldn't not do one now could I?

Hawk200SAAF4SQN.jpg

Any and all comments and crits most welcomed!

D

Hi All!!

Ok had nothing to do today other than be blue so I worked on profiles to avoid ending up in the dump emotionally. Hence you get 6 Hawks and I feel ALOT better!! :)

1. A quick redo of the SAAF machine to give you a DACT Hawk from 8 SQN whose insignia is a fighting cock (rooster sickos!) and whose motto is "Usque Ad Mortem" (Until Death). I think this is a rather apt for a DACT squadron, don't you?

Hawk200SAAF8SQNagressor.jpg

2. Next up we have the first of Shas' AgroHawks . She's a Flogger sim from the 57th Wing out of Nellis.

Hawk200usafaggressor57thWing.jpg

3. And her blue Flanker compatriot from the 414th CTS also out of Nellis.

Hawk200usafaggressor414thcts.jpg

4. Not to be left out of the fun a USN bird fills out the rest of the last of the AgroHawks.

Hawk200NSAWCbrown.jpg

5. So someone wanted a skull and cross bones Hawk. Will VF-103 do? :)

Hawk200USNtpsVF103.jpg

6. Last but not least we have a USMC bird from VMAT-102.

Hawk200MSMCMVAT-102.jpg

Comments and crits always welcomed!!

D

Hi All!

Tonite/this morning I present you with an alternative history of the Silver Flacons' livery.

1. During 1986, under the command of Commandant Dave Knoesen, the Silver Flacons converted to the BAe Hawk 60 then entering serivce with the SAAF as her primary jet trainer. The team was also increased to 5 ships to bring about more exciting display postures and to include a soloist display. During the late 1980's the aircraft were painted to represent the then South African flag, with orange white and blue.

HawkMk50SilverFalcons1.jpg

2. The Silver Falcons operated from Langebaanweg until the early 1990's, when all the Hawk training was moved to Air Force Base Hoedspruit, in the Lowveld region of South Africa, and formed part of 85 Combat Flying School. During 1994 with a new national flag, the aircraft were repainted to represent the colours of the SA Air Force: blue, light blue and white.

HawkMk50SilverFalcons2.jpg

3. The Silver Falcons continued to operate from Hoedspruit until 1998, where due to various contraints, the Silver Falcons commenced training in the Pilatus Astra. The decision was partly based on the lack of flying instructors at 85 CFS, and partly due to the new turbo-prop trainer being displayed to the nation, at a reduced cost to the Air Force. However more level heads prevailed and the Falcons kept their jet mounts, but at a cost.

The team formed part of the Central Flying School at AFB Langebaanweg. During this move, the team was once again reduced to a 4 ship group and had to fly in the standard jet trainer colours.

HawkMk50SilverFalcons3.jpg

4. In 2008 a new paint scheme was approved. With the work being conducted in secret in August 2008. The new 5 ship display exhibiting the new paint scheme was unveild at the Africa Aerospace and Defence Expo'08 at AFB Ysterplaat, Cape Town.

HawkMk50SilverFalconsnew.jpg

There you go! I hope you enjoyed that as much as me, now all I have to do is figure out how to get 4 Hawks past the wife!

D

Edited by damian

Hi All!

Well as you've noticed I haven't done much on my SH-360. With visitors and some strife in my flying life suck the will to get dirty out of me I've taken to going through my Whiff list and doing profiles for my planned builds (see: Silver Falcons). Tonite's update is no different :)

1. A SAAF Retro Hawk 120. She's in the same colours as the Harvards of old. I came up with this when looking at a retro painted F-16.

HawkMk100SAAFRetro.jpg

2. The Talon II (working title) was born after seeing the VERY attractive Texan II livery, these are VERY sexy colours!!

HawkMk100USAFTALONII.jpg

3. Lastly seeing as I have an Airfix Hawk 100 or two I decided to do up my Kawasaki T-4 as a CAF machine. This profile was created by blanking out an outline I made of a scan (jeez what a run on!) of the 1/48 decal placement diagrams from a Hasegawa T-4. You too can have the same amount of fun by hitting www.1999.co.jp/eng and sifiting through the scaned instructions...

T-4CAF.jpg

Now with my future again looking somewhat reassured I hope to get back to the table after the 2nd of Dec (NAV exam) :)

Comments and crits most welcomed!!

D

Hi All!

Once again I've going through my whiff list to see what I can bring to life :)

1. This is my take on a SAAF OA-4M in 5 Sqn markings and a low viz eagle in castle.

SAAF5SQNOA-4M.jpg

2. My SAN Bearcat, she's in dark gull grey over non-specular white. As an added bonus I tried my hand at a Joe styled pin up, I hope it worked :)

28SQNBearcat.jpg

3. Finally I present you with a HAF MiG-29 in their "ghost" scheme. The rescue and ejection warning are in the same faux greek font as my sig :) Again a little licence on my part as I don't have a Euro language pack on my PC.

HAFGhostMiG29.jpg

Please let me know what you all think and if there's anything you want to see give me a shout!

D

Great profiles Damian, favourites are the CAF T-4 and South African Hawk 200 & OA-4M.

Paul Harrison

Hi All!!

Seeing as there is a "short fall" of Jags I've done up some from my whiff list. Note that some will be "repeats" of other artists as RNZAF A-4s used as a basis for these profiles were used by other here. I've put my own take on the camo, marking and load outs :)

1. Chilean AF Jag GR.1 in the same scheme as their F-16s. I think this one came out quite nicely!

FACJagGR1.jpg

2. RNZAF 75 Sqn Jag GR.1 in the SEA colours...

RNZAFJagGR11.jpg

3. RNZAF 2 Sqn Jag GR.1 in the "Euro 1" scheme...

RNZAFJagGR12.jpg

4. And lastly the same 2 Sqn machine but in the final all over green scheme...

RNZAFJagGR13.jpg

I hope you like them :)

D

• Like 2

1. A RSAF Jag GR.1S, she's loaded for bear on an anit-piracy combat sweep in the straights of Malaca.

RSAFJagGR1.jpg

2. Next is a CAF 439 Sqn machine loaded for an "armed" recon sweep over A'Stan, if you take note the spine shows the installation of a GPS antenna,. Other differences are less notable and include rewiring the pylons for the depolyment of GPS guided smart munitions.

CAF439SqnJagA.jpg

3. Lastly a SAAF machine in colours reminicent of our Rooivalk and A-109 choppers. She's shown in 3 Sqn markings opperating out of Uppington in an anti-armour sortie to halt to advance of the Azanian People's Malitia. The possible presence of APMAf MiGs means she also carrying the new Darter A2A missile...

SAAFJagGR1bombrackonCL1.jpg

Enjoy :)

D

Hi All!!

Second day of the flu...better but not quite human yet (if I ever was human that is...). So I've been profiling again, after a morning spent blanking on and off I've come up with some Jag Ms with a difference :)

1. Here we have a radared Jaguar M aka F/A-17C of VFA-87, she's the CO's bird so has full colour markings and warpaint. Above the nose is a FLIR unit similar in use to the AV-8B II + config. She's carrying AIM-9Xs for self defence, gas bags, a GBU-24 on the center line rack, a Litening II pod on the port outer pylon and (not shown) a jammer on the starboard outer pylon.

VFA-87JagMwithradar.jpg

2. Next is a Jaguar N aka F/A-17D of VMFA (AW)-224 "The Bengals". She sports full colour national markings, unit insignia on an all black tail as well as a tiger striped tail. The FLIR has been moved to the under side of the nose due to the altered shape of the two cockpits. She's lugging AIM-9Xs for self defence, gas bags, a Littening II pod on the centerline rack and GBU-12s on the outer pylons.

JagM2seaterwithradarVMFA224.jpg

3. Lastly we have a Royal Navy GR.11 from 801 Squadron. She has a full colour tail which sports an oversized unit insignia. Under the cockpit is a full colour unit crest. She's shown in a clean configiration. On the blank side of things I suspect John used the same method as me to get a radar Harrier from the same blank source :) I'm busy with an AV-8B II + but she's not quite there yet.

RN801SqnGR11.jpg

Hope you enjoy them!!

D

Woops forgot to add these!!!

I bring you more Bearcats :) I've been thinking about takling another one as soon as I'm done with the SH-360 and have come up with some more schemes to go with the North Atlantic scheme I first posted.

1. It's '46 and the fight for the Japanese home islands has become a slogging match which is now fully occupying the Allies resources after the capitulation of the nasty huns in Europe. This 44 Sqn example embarked on the newly repaired SANS KRUGER is seen in the period's glossy sea blue scheme but lacking any distinguishing markings. The roundle is the standard SAEA version of the SAAF roundle.

SANWWIIBearcat.jpg

2. For Indian ocean ops in the late 40's the Navy experimented with a host of schemes among which was this 41 Sqn machine with sea blue uppers, intermediate blue sides and white undersides.

41SQNBearcatII.jpg

3. After which the chosen scheme was extra dark sea grey over white with white flying surfaces as seen on this 41 Sqn bird...

41SQNBearcat.jpg

4. In '56 the SANS KRUGER saw action again in the Suez as part of Operation Muskateer. The white undersides where repainted dark sea grey for dawn/dusk raids on Egyptian positions.

SANBearcatopmuskateer.jpg

5. The last scheme worn by the mighty 'Cats was that of light gull grey over white, which was adopted in '58 and sports the new castle adopted in '57.

41SQNBearcatIII.jpg

There ya go which one do like??

D

Hi All!

I got a request on ARC for some Aussie F-14s in hi and low viz and having two F-14s in the stash and one unassigned in my what-if list I thought, "Why not?".

Here's the first of a two parter, here we have an anthology of 75 Sqn RAAF F-14s in the schemes worn by their Mirage IIIOs.

75SQNRAAFF-14A11.jpg

75SQNRAAFF-14A12.jpg

75SQNRAAFF-14A13.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

D

Edited by damian

Hi All!!

Here's the second part of my RAAF F-14 post pair :)

1. An ARDU Tomcat, I was inspired by two of the pics John sent me...

RAAFARDUF-14A.jpg

2. 3 Sqn 90th anneversary bird, I liked the colours on the Hornet and I think they work well here :)

RAAF3Sqn90thAnniF-14A.jpg

3. A 75 Sqn machine in low viz colours...

RAAF75SqnF-14A.jpg

Hope you like 'em!

D

Hi All!!

Like the SAAF the RAAF was a "natural" choice to upgrade to Mirage 2000s as replacements for the Mirage IIIOs they flew. Here I present you with two RAAF Mirage 2000s, the 76 Sqn machine I may do for the ARC GB as the Italeri kit is simple, simple, simple :)

1. No. 2 OCU

NO2OCURAAFM2000.jpg

2. No. 76 Sqn

76SQNRAAFM2000.jpg

D

Nice Tomcats Damian,

You forgot the PREMIERE RAAF fighter squadron though! 77SQN! :D

Ray :cheers:

(Ex 77SQN tech)

Well why didn't you say so Ray ?:) Hope these are to your liking!!

1. 77 Sqn F-14A

RAAF77SqnF-14A.jpg

2. 77 Sqn Mirage 2000

77SQNRAAFM2000.jpg

D

Well why didn't you say so Ray ?:) Hope these are to your liking!!

1. 77 Sqn F-14A

2. 77 Sqn Mirage 2000

D

Very much so! :D These will be great for the ARC GB as well.

I have an F-14 and M2000 in the stash, the OCU jet is also nice (was at 2OCU as well).... decisions, decisions.

The M2000 will go nicely with the M4000 I am working on

Edited by TrojanThunder

Damian, I REALLY like that No. 2 OCU Mirage 2000!

Might just have to model that one one day!

Any chance of a 75 Sqn Mirage 2000 in the same low-vis scheme?

Cheers

Richard.

Damian, I REALLY like that No. 2 OCU Mirage 2000!

Might just have to model that one one day!

Any chance of a 75 Sqn Mirage 2000 in the same low-vis scheme?

Cheers

Richard.

After all of my requests that you've filled over the years it was a pleasure doing this one for you :)

75SQNRAAFM2000.jpg

D

• Like 1

Hi All!

Now we move on to Chrenaya's SAAF Mirages :wacko:

All three profile are of the same machine 371 of 1 Sqn SAAF wearing the various camoflages worn by real word (or close) fighters.

1. The intermediated scheme...

SAAF1SqnM2000.jpg

2. The Scheme...

SAAF1SqnM20002.jpg

3. The Cheetah scheme...

SAAF1SqnM20003.jpg

Enjoy! Any comments or suggestions most welcomed!!

D