False Economy?

timbo33

I bought this from the Kit Swap at Telford for £2 - I thought it would be a good start to our club's 'Mediterranean' theme for next year's show. Having opened the box, it's a terminally basic kit, with next to no interior detail and very little help for painting. Probably why the previous owner sold it LOL)

ReggianeRe2000003.jpg

Does anyone have any decent internal shots and/or know what interior colours to use? The few photos I have are black and white, with the exception this one in a Swedish museum where the interior colour looks greyish....

111J20_112-1257.jpg

Edited by timbo33

Oh dear, the Smer kit must be 30 years old at least ! Not even sure if it's 1/48 or rather 1/50...

I have some drawings taken from the original manual, if you're in no hurry I can put them together and send you copies. I'm planning a Re.2000 myself, this time from the Legato 1/72 box.

The interior colour should be a grey green (Verde Anticorrosione, literally corrosion preventing green), however interiors of Reggiane aircrafts seemed to have a colour more grey than green. Other italian aircrafts had grey interiors, probably in Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 (given as FS 36307).

Edit: looking at the picture the interior does look grey green, maybe using a RLM 02 paint will work fine.

Giorgio

Edited by Giorgio N

Does anyone have any decent internal shots and/or know what interior colours to use? The few photos I have are black and white, with the exception of a cutaway one in a Swdish museum where the colour looks greyish....

The interior should be 'Verde Anticorrosione', a bright pale green which approximates FS 34558. Hobby paints suggested are Gunze H-312 lightened with 45% light grey, Xtracolor X202, Aeromaster 1021 and Mr Kit MKWL012. As Grigio has already stated recently something has been made of Italian interiors also being light grey but as far as I know in the Reggiane only attached components like the boxes for radio controls, etc., should be light grey - approx FS 36307. Instrument panel was black crackle finish on a natural metal back plate and control column natural metal.

Hi Timbo,

Unless doing a Turnip (Swedish) A.F version be carefull! When reconditioned the external paint scheme was 'done as as close to as...'.

The internal scheme close up and in the flesh resembles a faded light green colour - very similar to the standard Italian internal colour of the time.

There are several books avaliable, but I dont think there is any after market and if there is some for other kits it probably will not fit as IIRC this model is closer to 1/50.

But it is a model and therefore meant to be built, so make it and have fun! I'd teat it like an exercise in scratch-building and see what I could learn and if you end up totalling it then its ony £2 lost - not even enough for a pint!

Go on build it!

Christian the Married

Hi Timbo,

Unless doing a Turnip (Swedish) A.F version be carefull! When reconditioned the external paint scheme was 'done as as close to as...'.

The internal scheme close up and in the flesh resembles a faded light green colour - very similar to the standard Italian internal colour of the time.

There are several books avaliable, but I dont think there is any after market and if there is some for other kits it probably will not fit as IIRC this model is closer to 1/50.

But it is a model and therefore meant to be built, so make it and have fun! I'd teat it like an exercise in scratch-building and see what I could learn and if you end up totalling it then its ony £2 lost - not even enough for a pint!

Go on build it!

Christian the Married

Yes I think that's going to be my approach - not done very much scratch building and the worst that can happen is it ends up in the bin!!! :shithappens:

Checked a book on the subject of italian colours: the mentioned that the Re.2000 did use the grey green Verde Anticorrosione, but that the shade was not the usual but it was a bit darker and greyer, similar to FS. 34227. This is not in contrast with the fact that the colour was the standard one, as different manufacturer are known to have used different paint for what was supposed to be the same official colour.

I know of some wartime chips prepared by FIAT official illustrator using real wartime paint, will try and see if the Reggiane interio colour is on these chips.

Giorgio

Checked a book on the subject of italian colours: the mentioned that the Re.2000 did use the grey green Verde Anticorrosione, but that the shade was not the usual but it was a bit darker and greyer, similar to FS. 34227. This is not in contrast with the fact that the colour was the standard one, as different manufacturer are known to have used different paint for what was supposed to be the same official colour.

I know of some wartime chips prepared by FIAT official illustrator using real wartime paint, will try and see if the Reggiane interio colour is on these chips.

Giorgio

Thanks Giorgio - you' the man :partytime:

Edited by timbo33

Go on build it!

Yeah I'd echo that. Look at it as a £2 challenge and see if you can either add your own details without reaching for the wallet or make it SFTB but go to town on the finish so that it looks a million dollars.

Either way, build it!

Yeah I'd echo that. Look at it as a £2 challenge and see if you can either add your own details without reaching for the wallet or make it SFTB but go to town on the finish so that it looks a million dollars.

Either way, build it!

I'm gonna build it...just a bit apprehensive is all... :undecided:

Giorgio is looking out some references for me which will help me (hopefully) scratch build the bits that the kit doesn't include (errmmm - most of it LOL) so I haven't even taken it out of the box yet (well I have but I've put it back in LOL)

Thanks for everyone's support - I'll do a WIP once I get started

Tim