Aeroclub D.H.60 out now

Silver Fox

And it looks a beauty. Plastic wings and fuselage, white metal details including rexhaust pipes and option brass etch struts. A quantum leap over their original vac form.

Now all I need is a set of floats.

Thank you Silver Fox.

A pic of a quickly thrown together one for the show. The Model is a 60M but it is very easy to convert it to a Gipsy Moth. The markings are for Australia/NZ, Canada and RAF with the option of a Swedish DH 60T (SK.9). It has optional high or low pressure tyres. The floats by the way were 16' long or 4" in 1/48. I have drawings.

John

MothConstruction031.jpg

Thank you Silver Fox.

A pic of a quickly thrown together one for the show. The Model is a 60M but it is very easy to convert it to a Gipsy Moth. The markings are for Australia/NZ, Canada and RAF with the option of a Swedish DH 60T (SK.9). It has optional high or low pressure tyres. The floats by the way were 16' long or 4" in 1/48. I have drawings.

John

Hi John,

I picked up one of these little beauties at Telford along with a Tiggy and they're great little kits. Two of my favourite 30's aircraft. I've already made a start and strangely enough I'm also doing a floatplane version. I'm aiming to do Chichester's Gipsy Moth. I can confirm that the alterations to the body, ie flattening the sides isn't hard, just tedious. The cockpit outline needs changing a little too, but references need to be checked as there are so many variations out there. There are plenty of civvy 60M's around so it's a really versatile kit.

Years ago I bought a set of assorted vac-formed floats and last night I sat at the computer scaling the approximate size from photos coming to the conclusion that the 4" one's would be about right, so that's fantastic confirmation. Is there any chance of seeing the drawings you have please? Are they details of the floats or of the assembly, neither of which I have? I'd intended to muddle along from photos, but info like this would be a god-send.

At some stage I'll also be getting a set of your Reg. letter decals. Saw them at the show and liked them a lot but couldn't decide what version I wanted to do until I'd checked how feasible Chichester's plane would be from the info I'd got. Been waiting for decent kits of these two for a while so I'm chuffed to bits even though they dented my pocket more than I'd have liked.

Thanks for a couple of good kits and for any help re the floats.

Best regards

Dave

Hi John,

I picked up one of these little beauties at Telford along with a Tiggy and they're great little kits. Two of my favourite 30's aircraft. I've already made a start and strangely enough I'm also doing a floatplane version. I'm aiming to do Chichester's Gipsy Moth. I can confirm that the alterations to the body, ie flattening the sides isn't hard, just tedious. The cockpit outline needs changing a little too, but references need to be checked as there are so many variations out there. There are plenty of civvy 60M's around so it's a really versatile kit.

Years ago I bought a set of assorted vac-formed floats and last night I sat at the computer scaling the approximate size from photos coming to the conclusion that the 4" one's would be about right, so that's fantastic confirmation. Is there any chance of seeing the drawings you have please? Are they details of the floats or of the assembly, neither of which I have? I'd intended to muddle along from photos, but info like this would be a god-send.

At some stage I'll also be getting a set of your Reg. letter decals. Saw them at the show and liked them a lot but couldn't decide what version I wanted to do until I'd checked how feasible Chichester's plane would be from the info I'd got. Been waiting for decent kits of these two for a while so I'm chuffed to bits even though they dented my pocket more than I'd have liked.

Thanks for a couple of good kits and for any help re the floats.

Best regards

Dave

Dave

Send me a PM with your email address on it and I will scan the drawings of the float Moth from "Moths Majors and Minors". Glad you like the kits. If the floats are Short's type then they would have been finished in gloss white seaplane varnish.

Cheers

John

Edited by John Aero

Dave

Send me a PM with your email address on it and I will scan the drawings of the float Moth from "Moths Majors and Minors". Glad you like the kits. If the floats are Short's type then they would have been finished in gloss white seaplane varnish.

Cheers

John

John, that's very kind and much appreciated. PM on it's way.

The white varnish ties in nicely with the photos I've seen. Chichester's DH 60 upended in shallow water so there are some decent views of the top surfaces of the plane and it's fairly easy to determine which parts are silver and which are white, something not so easily discerned from some angles. Floats are pointed at the back and without rudders.

I believe Chichester bought the plane new and had it kitted out with floats so that he could fly it home New Zealand.

Thanks again.

Best Regards

Dave