Look What I found in the loft (that I had forgotten)

zero

I bought this, on Ebay for the pricely sum of £13.00 (it was listed as 3, possible 4 phantom and one picture showed just a jumble of parts, and I think that put a lot of people off. when the box arrive it was very large and I decanted and checked both a Navy J version, and another F-4E in to there boxes, this is the bits I had left.

343414645.jpg

There is one and a bit (hopefully) models here, so I think this is worth spending some time on, even if I didn't start it, it's still started, so I'll have a crack at this one as well in this GB.

Dave

Edited by zero

Dave,

How the hell can you forget you've got those in the loft :lol: especially at only £13!

Quite a challenge to get it done I think, but glad you've brought it along to the GB!

Karl.

I think the answer to that is Karl you've not seen my loft! (this is just stuff in my conservatory ready to go up there!)

338485167.jpg

I sold off all my 1/72 and 1/48 that I had collected over 20 years to move soley to 1/32 kits to build, and that was one of the bargains I found and bought that I forgetten, I e I knew I had checked of at least three kits from the lot but I forget one on them was poorly started. (I even found a 1/32 tornado ECR I didn't know I had upo there as well, knew I had one to go up there, didn't relise I had a second!) that was Tonka number 5 in 1/32 scale

Sadly this is poorly started, but I have a week off coming up soon, followed by five days work, and then another week off, so time hopefully is not going to be to much of a factor, the quaility of the work done before hand, is!!! My only problem is I have got to get my car MOT'ed first before anything else!!!!

Dave

Blimey, lots of juicy big kits there then! I've never really done any big scale stuff, but I've got a couple lined up to do soon. I'm looking forward to having a big sized canvas to play with spraying on!

Ouch! I had the MOT thing at the end of last month... hope it goes OK!

Karl.

Dave,

Ive got landing gear,some decals, Whizzbangs, tanks & pylons from the Revell 32nd F-4F Wildhorse in the spares box. Gimme a shout if you need any help.

:popcorn: & :beer: at the ready

Bex

Blimey, lots of juicy big kits there then! I've never really done any big scale stuff, but I've got a couple lined up to do soon. I'm looking forward to having a big sized canvas to play with spraying on!

Ouch! I had the MOT thing at the end of last month... hope it goes OK!

Karl.

I got in to big kits this year, find them easy to work on, shifting 20 years worth of kits on ebay gave me a lot of spending money, and bought me a lot of very nice kits. Probably got enough to last me now till I clock out, but I still want a brace of Lightnings, a X-15, a sabre, and PC Mk IX Spitfire. We Never lear do we? oh and a SU37 would be nice to (please santa!) after that I'll be content! Yeh right!

As for the car, it cost me a fortune last year, so I hope this year will be a cheap one. but as you know with cars, you never can tell. Unfortunately I got two night shift this week, but then I got a week off, so I hope to get a good start on this after those.

Dave

Dave,

Ive got landing gear,some decals, Whizzbangs, tanks & pylons from the Revell 32nd F-4F Wildhorse in the spares box. Gimme a shout if you need any help.

:popcorn: & :beer: at the ready

Bex

Thanks for the offer Bex, I might just take you up on some bits in time, there is certainly only one and a half planes in this box, but I'm yet to check it to see if it's complete, I have at least another 2 USAF E's and 2 Luftwaffe E so I can rob a bit from other boxes if I need them (but canopies are going to be my biggest problems)

I've actually got a Wildhorse F-4F up in the loft stash of spooks, (and theres a few of them) I might have a crack at doing the wildhorse version in times, so if you didn't use that sheet they would be handy (I don't fancy getting half way on that one and them mess one up and have no spare as backup!) Eck!

I was given a set of 1/32 Spanish spook decals but I'm not sure if there for a F-4E or a F-4F if there for an E I'll probably use those, as I have a few E's to build in the stash, and as this is the first one of these I'm sticking together, I don't want to use something to exciting on the first large spook in case It doesn't come out to well! certainly as the kit needs a lot of work, seems logical to use a free set of stickers on it, over some better ones I have.

In the end, I hope to have a large collection of very different marked spooks, ie Israel, German, Spanish, USAF, US Navy, Marines, British (J version), Japanese EJ (and a few other) I have the kits and the decals, all I need is time to build them!!!

Cheers for the offer Bex

Dave

Dave,

Youre most welcome, theyre not going anywhere, so just let me know. I used the Wildhorse decals, but I wish Id had a spare set, as the hosre tails are a REAL pig to set right, I buggered mine up so its tucked tightly to the wall on the ceiling showing the best side :whistle: And I made the blue WAY too dark :doh: But, I have all the other decals that came with it and most of the stencils too.

yptaak.jpg

yptaaj.jpg

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Murdo,

That would be a helluva lot of work, youd need new wing tips, stabs, shortened nose, intakes, jet pipes (Speys instead of J79s) & wheels and thats off the top of my head for the FG1 / FGR2.

For a J, shortened nose, wing tips, stabs, wheels and a few other bits............... Plus new cockpits for both. And anything else Ive missed that the other Phantom Phanatics will add shortly :yahoo:

HTH

Bex

Nice spook Bex. looks very nice in that scheme, much better than on the box in fact (first one I've seen completed!

Hmmm. Thanks Bex. :worthy:

I won't be building it as a Brit one then... And as I only build Brit stuff... :bristow:

Yep Murdo

Bex has about nailed it, there are some major differences on the british phantoms over the E version's and many thinks to change and alter. To be honest it all depends if you just want a looker or one that correct in details. The best solution (and one thats correct) is to get hold of a Revell or Tamiya Navy J and if you can find them the Yellowhammer decals for the tigers 94SQN RAF. The RAF did buy a few ex US Navy J's to fill a shortfall and therefore you can do a British J version out of the box with out converting anything. Sadly so far Tamiya and Revell have stayed away from the K/M versions and the FG1 and FGR2 which is a shame, as at 1/32 scale there is nothing out there.

Revell have just updated there F-4F boxing, but I presume it on decals, however the newer boxings of the Revell spooks are much better than the older ones (with the split in two wing plate!) but I doubt they will modify there kits to British standards but we can only live in hope.

Tamiya take note, there be a massive hole in your Phantoms, we really do need a 1/32 British marked spook!

Dave

Nice spook Bex. looks very nice in that scheme, much better than on the box in fact (first one I've seen completed!)

Thanks Dave, I just wish Id left it a bit longer to learn more before building it, Micro Set / Sol would have saved my bacon with the Horses tail, oh well, maybe one day I'll strip it and start again once Ive found a big enough bucket :hmmm: Oh, the blue needs to be sky blue not darkish blue (Revell SM350 Lufthansa Blue) as the boxart shows. Photos of the prototype are rare as rocking horse :shit:

The best solution (and one thats correct) is to get hold of a Revell or Tamiya Navy J and if you can find them the Yellowhammer decals for the tigers 94SQN RAF.

Tamiya take note, there be a massive hole in your Phantoms, we really do need a 1/32 British marked spook!

Dave

It was 74 Sqn Dave :wicked: And those decals, well, very hard to find, and Im after a set in 48th for a J. Mind you a Revell 32nd K / M would be nice, a little kinder to ones purse :pray:

Bex

It was 74 Sqn Dave :wicked: And those decals, well, very hard to find, and Im after a set in 48th for a J. Mind you a Revell 32nd K / M would be nice, a little kinder to ones purse :pray:

Bex

Now a Revell Brit Phantom would be nice!

As for theose F-4J 74 Sqn Decals they are as rare as rocking horse :shit:

Julien

Now a Revell Brit Phantom would be nice!

As for theose F-4J 74 Sqn Decals they are as rare as rocking horse :shit:

Julien

:partytime: Already safely in the stash ;):partytime:

Dave

well I've had a good long look at this kit today, and decide that the built fuselage is not the way to go. as well as being poorly started, nothing has been painted inside, and the cockpit is very poor indeed. to be honest I'll keep it as a desparate spare.

343808993.jpg

you can see more pictures of what I have been up to, today in my picturetrail gallery for this build

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20986460

But after having a massive sort out of the box, I broke the parts down to spares and the best parts for the build. Armed with me bottle of glue, and having done a bit of cleaning up, and basic assemble work I ended up with a selection of parts that looked like this.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...0/343808977.jpg

As you can see I work with bit that go together (get stuck together) and this gets rid of the sprues quicker, and I find it easier to work on larger bits.

Next it was Airbrush time! The cockpit area got a blast of gray, and the internals got a coat of black, I tend to go over board on this process, but there is nothing worse that seeing something unpainted and not being able to paint it at the end, so everything inside is black bar the cockpit that is grey

343808984.jpg

Anyway after a couple of hours work, this is where I have got to.

343809009.jpg

Basically a very basic test fit, just to have a look at how this all bolts together. Actually I can see to much difficulty in completing this before the deadline, and although it is a large kit, there is not a great deal of parts to it, certainly when the sub assembly work is already done.

Some problems to note on this.

The kit is very basic, and the cockpit more so, hence I need to do a bit of scratch building in here to make it look at least half decent. if you look above you can see I've already got a pair of bang seats out ready, and there is still more to do, and need improving to make this model even half decent. the cockpit is minimal to say the very least.

I'm going to ask Bex's about thoses wheels she has for the F4-F, the ones on this are very basic, (so if there going spare Bex are they have to be better than these) or I'll try and get a pair of master caster ones but they don't seem to have them listed on there site at present!!! ARGH!!

lastly I have a crack in the new fuselage to work round

343809018.jpg

Noted as I sorted the part out today, but fixing that has to be better than trying to fix this bodge job (not done by me I have to add, this was a ebay bargain lot, 3,5 part built spooks in a job lot)

343783127.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

I have some questions

the spanish decals are out, there not for a F-4E, so it looks like the basic luftwaffe decals for this build. so would this have been a configuration they would have flown with, ie the central and outer wing tanks

343808998.jpg

Parts I need to beg for!!!!

Bex can I have that undercarrage if your not going to use them please, Happy to haggle with you on those. the ones in this kit are very basic and I know there going to let the model down unless I chage them.

I need some suitable decals for the cockpit instruments don't need to be spook ones just somthing suitable.

Any one got any suitable Decals going spare (or even for sale) the original ones in the kit will be used for this build, not the immerman ones, but I'm not sure how old or how sound they are!

Thanks in advance for all the help, and cheers for all the comments so far.

Dave

Dave,

This is what Ive got......... also centre & wing tanks but forgot they were in the bottom of the spares box until after Id packed it away :doh:

yvok5i.jpg

yvok5n.jpg

yvok5q.jpg

yvok56.jpg

Let me know what you need :thumbsup2:

Bex

Thanks Bex

I know this will sound daft, but I will have a look in the morning and get back to you.

(No, I'm currently at work, and we block picture sites, so all I can see tonight is white boxes with crosses on, at present!)

Thanks for the offer on these I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Dave

Hi Bex

Just got in horrid night, Thanks for doing that for me, Could I take the wheels, they look much much better than mine, could I also ask for the Weapons pylons, there are non in my kit, and the decals as well.

I can make use of all of those if you don't mind.

Many thanks, Let me know what I owe you

Sure we can work something out. on these.

Thanks again

Dave

No probs Dave, lemme know when youre alive again (Louise works nights and I did nights for 10 yrs :yikes: )

Bex

Well I've arisen, from my world of darkness, in to another world of darkness! I hate working nights in the winter, I saw the sun today for about ten minutes! (ie on the drive home, it came up half way!)

Thanks for those Bex, PM in bound to you. I've got one more night and then a week off, five days to work and then another week off, so I'm hopping to get a big chunk of this and the F-16 XL sorted, (basically the XL is almost ready for paint just needs a check over, some small filling and then I can start the paintwork, which will take the time.

Thanks again Bex, for the offer on the bits.

Dave

If you don't see me about for a few days don't worry

I have a few car problems so if I'm not about, I'll get back to you ASAP I found my car header tank full of oil yesterday, and I need to get this fixed (hopefully it the oil cooler), and an MOT done before Friday

So much for my week off. HA Ha Ha

If you don't see me about for a few days don't worry

I have a few car problems so if I'm not about, I'll get back to you ASAP I found my car header tank full of oil yesterday, and I need to get this fixed (hopefully it the oil cooler), and an MOT done before Friday

So much for my week off. HA Ha Ha

Well I'm hoping to get back on to this project during the evening of this week. In the end I had to buy another car, my old one is beyond a simple or fast repair. Also working out in the sticks (with no trains or Buses) means a car is the only option.

I'm really struggling with the cockpit area of this model it is so poor, it is unbelievable, yep I know the kit is probably 30+ years old, but even so a very basic flooring two, very poor looking ejector seats, and console area represented by just flat plastic really let this kit down. I suppose scale modelling moved on a long way since this kit was pressed!

I have a Legend resin set but I'm lothed to use it, and the company seem no more. anyone know a supplier out there with stock? I'm going to give the verlinder set a try but again it means a wait whilst I order one up, certainly from Hannants!

Dave