Alpha Flight 1:48 Short Sunderland

Mike

There was a knock on the door this morning, just before I got up, from a Fedex man in an un-marked van. With him he had a box around 2' long (60cm), which he left with Caz after she gave him an autograph.

This box was dispatched on Friday from the USA... Phoenix Arizona to be precise, courtesy of a little known latter day saint, Mike Reeves :innocent: This beastie was a gift from him & his good lady Mandy, for helping them out with some extra masters in time for the US Nationals earlier in the year. To say that I'm happy, and that I'm very grateful to Mandy & Mike for their generosity is an understatement ^_^

Inside the box (unpacked after I'd had breakfast) was a mass of resin parts from which I guess I'm intended to create a rather large replica of a Short Sunderland. Believe me when I say "rather large".... it's a MONSTER!!! :analintruder:

The fuselage halves are crisply moulded full length, with only the slightest bit of warp at the ends. The wings are each cast in two halves, hollow moulded, and 3 out of 4 are completely straight. The last one has a ripple in the end near the aileron. Flaps & other empennage are all cast separately, and there is an almost complete interior With nicely detailed floors, turrets, and a host of other internal parts, as well as full ribbing detail inside the fuselage halves.

Transparencies are vacformed, and there is a small etched fret providing instrument panel and aerial details. The instructions are clear & well printed (on an A3 laser, I suspect), and there is a painting guide for the two airframes depicted on the decal sheet provided.

I'll take a few pictures when I get out to the workshop later, and may well even start it if time allows. I may hold off until after Telford though, as I'd promised Rob I'd finish the Scimitar for the show :blush:

Mike, you waited until AFTER breakfast to unpack? I bet she's a beauty. Enjoy

Tony :clif:

I was feeling sick, so thought it wise to eat first ;)

I had another more careful peruse last night, and confirmed that it's a beauty... plenty of work to do though, and my first stop is to get myself a number of good quality epoxy glues, so that I can start with the gluing when I get back from Telford. Dan? What were the names of those good epoxies again? :hmmm:

I had another more careful peruse last night, and confirmed that it's a beauty... plenty of work to do though, and my first stop is to get myself a number of good quality epoxy glues, so that I can start with the gluing when I get back from Telford. Dan? What were the names of those good epoxies again? :hmmm:

Oh I think you are after some Gunze glues like, Mister Don't screw it up epoxy, it is the best!! :analintruder:

Morning Mike,

I'd look for the slower setting epoxies that the aero modellers use, I think the stuff is called Devcon and comes in various setting times from 5 mins, 2hours and 24 hours. The slower the setting the stronger the bond. Brass box section for the wing spar and a couple of brass incidence pegs for the wings mate

should see you right, I'd use the 24 hour epoxy for these bits.

Dan

I'd just like to draw everyone's attention to Dan's first useful & informative post :wicked: You might also want to check out his F-16 Sufa (is it?) conversion thread - it's quite nice ;)

I'm still crap & haven't got round to taking photos of the parts, although some of you will have seen the fuselage & wings over on the Cammett* stand at the weekend. I've got a CD full of some nice detail pics of the real thing courtesy of Edgar though, which I'm having a look through at the moment - thanks Mr Brooks! ;)

I promise pics when I've had a moment to tidy the workshop after the Telford rush :)

* I understand that they're handling UK orders in collaboration with PCM... unfortunately I didn't get to speak to Ken of PCM over the weekend, even though he was lurking around the Cammett stand at some point.