Sentinel R1

Mattie Bee

Mattie,

I'd take 'Turnerdad' up on his offer, it appears to be 1/72 model he's offering. If you don't want it I'd gladly take up his offer for the Recce SIG. It's been a quandry for us also all year where/how to get a Sentinal model for the stand. As some one said above maybe there is one on the way from somewhere, lets hope so. The Ops cabinet is missing a model of an AC-6T Turbo Commander that belonged to Turner Aviation that used to come into Waddo twice a week 1983 - 84 and for a while when 50Sqn Vulcan Tankers finished was just about the only aircraft we had landing there, happy days. Then we went through the NIMWACS JTU saga - not so happy days.

If you go for the 'Turnerdad' option please do us a blow by blow build account of the model.

Regards and good luck with it.

Ian S

Edited by Radar

Get stuck in Matt. It'll be a great result if you can pull off a scratch built Sentinel. Glenn R has done some great scratch building, and his in progress threads are very inspiring. If you can chop certain parts from your donor kit for some areas of the aircraft that will be a bonus and certainly help you get it done quicker.

Good luck mate

Andy :)

I would also love to build a Sentinel to go with my E-3D.

Just a Sentinel? :shocked:

What about the only Operational Aircraft type at Waddington

5 On work up Non-operational

8 and 23 Non-operational on exercises

51 Operational in the Gulf

54 Training Sqn No operational commitments

56 Evaluation Sqn No operational commitments

And that model looks great turnerdad my mind is made up how I'm going to do this so when I start the WIP thread the rest of you will also get to know

Edited by Mattie Bee

• 2 years later...

hi there turndad

have you got any information about who made the resin / wood ?? model you have in this pic

is it possible to get my grubby fingers on one ??

iain

We have resin global expresses at work, definitely 1/50, and another smaller scale, but not sure exactly what. I'll check tomorrow if you like-they are soild though. I've actually got a 50th scale out in the shed. The tail was damaged and it was going to be skipped, so I took it, got a spare tail, now just need the fin extension. Not sure if they are fitted with IFR probes-you'd probably know.

DSC_025708080001.jpg

hellp peter

any chance of some ics of the kit ??

is it any good ???

iain

I posted some 'box review' pictures back in March :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65983

I believe a link was provided to these shots in your other Sentinel thread last month.

I have not had the time to start the kit yet so cannot comment as to how good it is.

regards

Rob

I picked the Broplan kit and have one comment; Has anyone ever tried to get replacement parts from them?

The canopy glazing vac form is bluntly horrible, there is the raised detail of a hair in mine and also 2 -3 lumps (unknown origin) that make it pretty much useless, so I plan to ask for another!!

Otherwise the rest looks OK, typical vac-form, gonna take some work but frankly don't see it being done in injection any time soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I quite agree!

Good up-to-date RAF subject!

Airfix should pick up on their past coverage of contemporary RAF.

God knows their are precious few types in service now.

Looking forward to the Lynx.....

...and what about a corrected BAe 125...?

...Anyway...

I am halfway through my Broplan Sentinel R1 having run out of patience converting Welsh Models Challenger bits and drawing new bits for a prospective resin kit.

I cast the formings of the Broplan kit without damaging them and cut the nose from the far superior Welshmodels kit but got bored...! After making the cute little Anigrand 1/144 resin Sentinel I wanted a BIG ONE!

Now I've got going on the (very flimsy and damaged) Broplan offering, I may only use my resin engines!

The shape of the Broplan Sentinel isn't bad but it needs careful assembly. The plastic's just too thin. The Welsh models vac fuse/resin wing Challenger is much nicer and crisper but the two aeroplanes are so different only the cockpit and basic fuselage tube are relevant.

I may yet mould my Broplan one before I finish it - to make a basic resin kit of plugs...

Now to turn the Airfix Nimrod into a lovely Dan-Air Comet 4B....!

I quite agree!

Good up-to-date RAF subject!

Now to turn the Airfix Nimrod into a lovely Dan-Air Comet 4B....!

likeswise - I'd love a decent 1/72 sentinel........and the nimrod/comet conversion has been done so thats well possible; not sure I'm up to doing it but I might be tempted one day to try and convert it into an RAF pax comet.....

!