Airfix 1/72 Vosper MTB

Murdo

Hi all.

This was built in spurts (wherever that is) and I'm finally laying it to rest in the display cabinet. The Airfix 1/72 Vosper was a very nice kit to build and I think I'll make another one sometime.

On the front Bofors I added a scratch (very squint) gunsight from fuse wire and some shoulder rests though I think they might be out of scale. I made some ammo for the side guns by squeezing solder in a pliers jaws to get the shape of an ammo belt, painting them gold and added a small ammo box to each gun.

I bored out the searchlight, painted the inside silver, made a lens from hot glue and added some wiring. The side cables / rails are fishing line and the White Ensign was printed and glued together. It is my first attempt at making a diorama at sea (or anywhere) and I'm not really happy with it but... Hey. I won't use that particular Pollyfilla again.

It's painted and weathered as how I imagine a very busy wartime boat would look.

I really have to learn how to paint figgies properly.

Hope you like it. Any criticisms and comment welcome.

Vosper033Medium.jpg

Vosper037Medium.jpg

Vosper039Medium.jpg

Vosper034Medium.jpg

Vosper045Medium.jpg

Vosper047Medium.jpg

Vosper048Medium.jpg

Vosper038Medium.jpg

Thanks to all, I really enjoyed this very, very nice wee kit and the dio was a good learner.

Unfrortunately (ta Peepbeep) the space / size concern was more of a constriction than anything.

Rich, it was normal Pollyfilla. I might have got the mix wrong, maybe too much water or too much powder, I'm not sure which. Any paint (Acrylic) just lifted and curled the surface layer of Pollyfilla (several times).Next time I'll try covering it with a layer of thinned white glue or resin or... something.

Are the bits / tubes sticking out of the side exhausts or coolant water nozzles?

Can anyone help with this please?

They're exhausts.

If you're not aware of them, the two volumes on 'Allied Coastal Forces of World War Two' by John Lambert and Al Ross are bibles. They deal with just about everything you would want to know and I understand that John Lambert's drawings were used by Airfix for the Vosper kit. Volume II deals with Vospers (and Elcos). They're a bit expensive (Vol II appears to start at £50 for a second hand copy on Amazon), but in my view they're well worth it.

Al

Nice one Murdo, I did one when I was about ten. No paint and blobs of glue everywhere and it sadly sank when the bath water got a bit too choppy!

You've done a good job of the base, I tend to stick them on stands coz I'm crap with pollyfiller.

Paul Harrison :poppy:

• 1 month later...

Nice effort Murdo - I'm bidding for one of these on eBay as a contribution for my club's 'Mediterranean' theme for next years SMW - I like the little ships (ever since I saw 'The Ship that died of Shame' - stirring stuff...LOL)

Don't know much about Maritime diorams (don't know much about dioramas full stop!!!) but can't you get clear resinny stuff for the Water? Thought it might look more realistic than Polyfilla - though you've done a fantastic job of shaping and painting it to get the bow wave effect...

any of the maritime experts got a view on this?

Edited by timbo33

• 1 month later...