BAe Hawk T1

Gary C

Hi Gary,

A crop from a shot I took earlier this year, does it help with your vent question?

DSCF1463a.jpg

Andy

Exactly what I was looking for....right above the roundel.... looks like its definately a glass inspection panel or gauge...ta very much, :thumbsup:

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Teeny tiny update time. Being a postie and seeing as it's Christmas :santa: I've not had the chance to do much of late but... I did manage to mask and spray the cockpit coaming and sills and the wheel wells...

DSCN3452_edited.jpg

and gloss cote with future and get the stickers on...

DSCN3446_edited.jpg

DSCN3448_edited.jpg

Couple of minor hiccups with the decals...not sure I've used the right style of no step logo's... there seem to be both high and lo viz types on the grey Hawks and given a lack of hard evidence for my particular airframe I went with the most colourful.... and....the 63 Sqn badge on the right side of the tail was reversed on the Xtradecal sheet, fortunately I had two copies of the sheet, problem solved,

More soon,

:cheers:

Gary

Hey, looks awesome. The middle 'vent' is actually a sight glass for the oil system - it's got a glass face and a silver back and you should be able to see oil above a line etched on the glass. The idea on hawks is that you never have to open a panel to check any system volumes or pressures - except the engine gearbox - as all the gauges are on the skin or in the wheel wells. Nice idea but not sure it works too well!

HTH

Thom

Edit to add: A couple of years ago, 'Pads', whose aircraft is depicted here, was on 100 Sqn. Since he had accumulated several thousand hours hawk he was rightly considered a guru in flying the thing. Unbeknown to him, we arranged for his name to be put forward to join the Red Arrows, quoting the extensive flying history he'd built up. Pads was somewhat taken aback to recieve a very humourous letter back from OC Reds thanking him for his application and advising that should the Red Arrows ever secure funding to build wheelchair access (!) to the jets he would be called up immediately.

Thankfully for us, he took it quite well, but it was a close run thing...

Edited by Thom

Thanks for the kind feedback guys!

Hey, looks awesome. The middle 'vent' is actually a sight glass for the oil system - it's got a glass face and a silver back and you should be able to see oil above a line etched on the glass. The idea on hawks is that you never have to open a panel to check any system volumes or pressures - except the engine gearbox - as all the gauges are on the skin or in the wheel wells. Nice idea but not sure it works too well!

HTH

Thom

Edit to add: A couple of years ago, 'Pads', whose aircraft is depicted here, was on 100 Sqn. Since he had accumulated several thousand hours hawk he was rightly considered a guru in flying the thing. Unbeknown to him, we arranged for his name to be put forward to join the Red Arrows, quoting the extensive flying history he'd built up. Pads was somewhat taken aback to recieve a very humourous letter back from OC Reds thanking him for his application and advising that should the Red Arrows ever secure funding to build wheelchair access (!) to the jets he would be called up immediately.

Thankfully for us, he took it quite well, but it was a close run thing...

:lol: nice story Thom...ta for the info too, will come in handy!

Panel lines done, some gentle weathering and streaking with the usual oils and a coat of humbrol matt cote and we are nearly there!!

Before

DSCN3446_edited.jpg

And after

DSCN3453_edited.jpg

DSCN3459_edited.jpg

DSCN3462_edited.jpg

:santa:

Gary

Edited by Gary C

Flippin eck matey, that is one hell of a paint job - put that into a pic with a sky background and you'll be hard pushed to tell it's a kit!

Really looking forward to seeing the finished article, very nice indeed!

Eng

Looking nice there Gary, I do like that colour scheme on a Hawk! XX289 was the subject of my first 1/48 build (this was much more recent than it sounds, being my second most recent completed model), which you have inspired me to put up some photos of on here (along with the Buccaneer I just finished).

Hi Gary

Good to see a Chivenor Hawk at anytime, but especially 'Pads' Adams ac. He was a real Gentleman, I made several models for him when I was at Chivenor. He did an exchange with the USAF flying F106's, then Lightnings and Phantoms before the Hawk. Last I heard he was flying Hawks for the Royal Navy. Fantastic build, I've attached a B&W print of an aircraft on the Chivenor line, lots of Ground Equipment!

Hawk.jpg

regards

Chris

Edited by chrismac60

Thats looking real nice.

Any more progress?.

Great job on the weathering

Shaun.

All done. I ploughed onto the finish line over the last couple of days...Just needed to attach the breakable bits... undercarriage, aerials and bang seats. I've only taken a couple of pics so far. I'll do a proper shoot outside over the weekend if the weather is reasonable :cold:

DSCN3471_edited.jpg

Hi Gary

Good to see a Chivenor Hawk at anytime, but especially 'Pads' Adams ac. He was a real Gentleman, I made several models for him when I was at Chivenor. He did an exchange with the USAF flying F106's, then Lightnings and Phantoms before the Hawk. Last I heard he was flying Hawks for the Royal Navy. Fantastic build, I've attached a B&W print of an aircraft on the Chivenor line, lots of Ground Equipment!

Hawk.jpg

regards

Chris

Nice pic Chris, thanks for posting it. I've just aquired some bases so I might make a little dio, good to see what the intake covers look like.