Polishing off two of mine...

desmojen

I have several builds lying around part done, but I settled on these two as my substitutions for this GB.

First off, Italeri 1/72 Mirage 2000

341208831.jpg

As you can see, this is at a reasonably advanced stage of construction, and was put aside due to the traditional Italeri wing fit issues :fraidnot:

Will be finished OOB (unless I happen across some seats at Telford) with the addition of decals from the visible Model Alliance Op Herrick decal sheet.

Secondly, Trumpeter 1/32 MIG19

341208876.jpg

Started with the intention of entering last years Trumpeter comp, I was nowhere near getting it finished in time. The model has languished in various corners of the model room ever since. Progress is fairly self explanatory, but there is a WIP thread here on BM somewhere as well.

Again destined to be OOB, this time including decals. Lets hope there are no sperring mistakes on them :lol:

If, and it's a big if, I get these two done I have an Accurate Miniatures P-51A that I might dig out to finish off too.

Jen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have made progress, KUTA is in full effect on the desmobench :D

The Mirage has been rubbed down, I've painted the kit seats and fitted the kit canopies. They fit in the traditional Italeri manner and some delicate fettling will be required to make them look anything nice :shrug:

The Mig meanwhile has been having the rear fuselage and fin filled and sanded, the front end being essentially done already. I've just glued the two inserts into the forward fuselage so I will sand them before joining the two ends. I was going to leave them until after joining, but decided I preferred access for fitting the panels than access for fitting the engines.

Not really worth any photos as of yet, despite the hours of work they basically look the same as they did before! :lol:

Jen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on them, honest guv...:shrug:

The Mirage is now in primer. I had all sorts of trouble with the canopies. Like the two seat Jag I did earlier this year, I wanted the canopies closed. And like the two seat Jag, they were an awful fit, damn you Italeri! :angry:

I ended up fixing them on and then filling all the gaps with superglue before sanding merry hell out of the whole lot and then polishing it all back up. Of course, I now had no framing and because the polishing process generates static, I now have sprinkles all over the insides. It seems that I'm damned if I do, and damned if I dont :crying: If anyone knows how you can fit canopies like this without ending up with crap sticking to the insides, I'd love to know.

So that was all masked up and then I put some primer on while I had some in the A/B for something else. Primer in this case is Tamiya fine surface primer from an aerosol, which I decant as required.

347158137.jpg

I also had fitted the refuelling probe and the little baby canard things. I'll give it a good rub down and then I can look at getting some paint onto it.

I am also going to give up, before we go any further, on finishing the Mig for this GB. I am working on it, and it will be done sooner rather than later, but I have had to put some magazine work through which has left me with insufficient time to do the kit the justice I want to within the time frame for this GB.

Jen.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, my Christmas holiday officially started and KUTA is in full effect!

Last night I rubbed down my primer and cleaned everything back up again. I then preshaded it with some Gunze Sangyo Tyre Black.

348192643.jpg

Today I got the chance to start putting some colour on and there lies a problem, what on earth is Dark grey blue? :hmmm: I don't know :shrug:

I decided to use RLM74 (of all things) but when I opened it I decided it looked too green. So in the end I went for Extra Dark Sea Grey, lightened with a touch of RLM76, it may still be a bit dark but I think it looks ok.

348192655.jpg

Jen.

I like the look of that Jen, nice pre shading as well, is that with

the new Iwata?

Yep, it's a good way to practice. I'm still missing the lines a lot with it so far though! :lol:

What's the canopy mask you're using Jen?

rich

The canopy mask is gold Bare Metal Foil Rich :)

Jen.

It is definitely a lot easier to use than Tamiya tape Rich. It can be a bit of a sod getting it off though....

I got a bit of time last night and I sprayed the green on freehand. I used RAF Dark green as recommended by the decal sheet.

348410207.jpg

You can see the picture I am working to underneath the model (lower pic). I think I got the grey pretty good, but the green looks too green really. I have a few touch ups to do too, but for now I have given it a light coat of Klear to protect it. I think a bit of flat coat might dull the green off enough to look something like, I certainly don't fancy spraying it all again!

Jen.

Thankyou Deon :)

Well I ended up redoing it, damn my AMS substitute :doh:

I repainted the green areas and this time used, get this, Japanese Army Green of WWII vintage :lol: Doing that left me with a bit more overspray than I wanted so I then had to go back with the grey again.....

349007167.jpg

The new green is more muted and a bit greyer looking, and as such matches my little photo a bit better. I also painted green over the black radome because the one in the photo is like that.

This morning I managed to get up at a decent hour and spent some time putting all the decals on. Getting there now :)

Jen.

I'm going to call this one finished....

349142085.jpg

I added the rest of the pieces last night. Once I demasked the canopies and could see the s***e that had stuck to the insides again I kind of lost all enthusiasm for it I'm afraid :shrug:

349142082.jpg

It would have been nice to put something on the inner pylons. Every photo I've seen of one of these has a pair of those oddly shaped tanks on them, but the kit only provides a centreline tank. You do get a pair of rockets which look very Flash Gordon - in a bad way. Hence the bare pylons.

349142081.jpg

I also forgot to add any nose weight, and when I say it only just sits on it's wheels I'm not joking. If you look at it sternly it will tip up :lol:

349142080.jpg

So, there are a few aerials missing, and the odd bit of detail painting has been omitted but I don't want to put any more into it now. If it weren't for the canopy muck it would look quite nice, certainly it's very Mirage-ish. If anyone has any ideas on how to banish static induced dust magnet canopies I'd love to hear them.

I also now have a hankering to do it properly, it's such a beautiful aeroplane after all :wub: To that end, if anyone has an Eduard 1/48 2000D/N they don't want, please let me know :)

Jen.