Hasegawa 1/72 FRS1 to FA2 conversion

Doug

Hi All

Has anyone out there used this conversion set and do you have any comments to pass on regarding it, easy/hard, good/bad?

I would also like some help with the location of the extra wing saw tooth/fences which are provided in the kit, can anyone tell me where these pieces should be located as I do not have any scale drawings of the type and most of my reference photo's don't really help.

Finally if you have used this conversion any chance I could get in contact with you for some help if I get stuck?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

'Fraid I've not used the Heritage kit but happy to offer whatever references help I can. In the first place I think you probably need the Albert Osinski Sea Harrier FA2 book. It is comprised almost totally of pictures of the FA.2 airframe and has a number of the wing including the modified inboard dog tooth. If you don't want to fork out for a new one they come up on ebay pretty frequently. Also try airliners.net and jetphotos.net for airframe pics.

I can recommend other Harrier books until the cows come home...

This forum is the ideal place for modelling help - there are plenty of "proper" Harrier experts here. I'd recommend searching for "Harrier" in "Work in progress" and checking out Jake's FA2 for cockpit detail. There's also a great 1:48 FA2 build on the go that is well worth a visit.

Cheers,

Kirk

Hi All

Has anyone out there used this conversion set and do you have any comments to pass on regarding it, easy/hard, good/bad?

I would also like some help with the location of the extra wing saw tooth/fences which are provided in the kit, can anyone tell me where these pieces should be located as I do not have any scale drawings of the type and most of my reference photo's don't really help.

Finally if you have used this conversion any chance I could get in contact with you for some help if I get stuck?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Doug.

Not sure if this will help Doug, but here's the FA2 conversion that I did, using the Esci FRS1 a few years ago (I used milliput for the new radome and combination of plastic card and milliput for the fuselage plug) You can just about make out the wing amendments, the inner dog tooth is faired in and the new wing fence is situated at its base...

100_3783.jpg

Thought I'd better add a pic of the finished Shar...

100_4645.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

I have done a couple of these, plus the Model Alliance conversion for the ESCI kit. The Hasegawa fuselage bits fitted much better than the ESCI, but the latter's wing mods were better.

A couple of things to watch out for - the wing mods are difficult to fit without destroying (or at least denting) the remaining wing vortex generators. I also found that on the Hasegawa one, the wing was thicker than the resin replacement, which forced me into some difficult fairing in on the undersides (so fit it before attaching wing to fuselage!). The radome is also handed (if that is the correct term!) - make sure you fit it the right way up! In this respect I felt the ESCI radome was far better than the Has one (although the Has kit has a too-short nose anyway). Dont forget to move the anti-collisionbeacon on the Has kit- it should be offset to port!

PS. you also need the larger wing tanks - mine are shortened Airfix Hunter tanks.

Otherwise, an easy and effective conversion - have fun!

FredT :)

Some piccies:

Hasegawa/Heritage:

P5110312.jpg

P6040052.jpg

ESCI/Italeri/Model Alliance:

P6110146.jpg

Edited by gengriz

I have done a couple of these, plus the Model Alliance conversion for the ESCI kit. The Hasegawa fuselage bits fitted much better than the ESCI, but the latter's wing mods were better.

A couple of things to watch out for - the wing mods are difficult to fit without destroying (or at least denting) the remaining wing vortex generators. I also found that on the Hasegawa one, the wing was thicker than the resin replacement, which forced me into some difficult fairing in on the undersides (so fit it before attaching wing to fuselage!). The radome is also handed (if that is the correct term!) - make sure you fit it the right way up! In this respect I felt the ESCI radome was far better than the Has one (although the Has kit has a too-short nose anyway). Dont forget to move the anti-collisionbeacon on the Has kit- it should be offset to port!

PS. you also need the larger wing tanks - mine are shortened Airfix Hunter tanks.

Otherwise, an easy and effective conversion - have fun!

FredT :)

Some piccies:

Hasegawa/Heritage:

P5110312.jpg

P6040052.jpg

ESCI/Italeri/Model Alliance:

P6110146.jpg

I love your harriers,can you tell me the length of your modified drop tanks.I have asked on various web sites and no one has been able to tell me.Thanks....Neil

I've been considering the same option myself, converting using the Heritage Aviation resin. But Hannants is now out with the Xtrakit FA2. Looks like it has potential. I was hoping it would include the belly rails for the AMRAAMS, but I cannot see them in the sprues.

Fred, on the ESCI/Italeri/Model Alliance version did you scratch build the missle rails (that replace the machine gun pods) or are those included in one of the kits? Oh, and those look like great models.

As a nice addition, Pavla makes control surfaces which I think are the same for both FRS1 and FA2s.

Edited by armada68

hi all

this kit looks to have been based on the hasegawa kit it's typical mpm standard and i think with a little work can be built straight from the box it has the right shape wing the lengthened fuselage and correct nose shape it comes with the bigger fuel tanks but no other weapons at £11.99 it's a good start and with a few extra resin bit's and pieces it could be a sow stopper.

happy modelling glenn.....

I have got the new Xtrakit FA2 and whilst this is a good starting point, the following would really help.

Pavla Dropped flaps set

Pavla Intakes

Model Alliance large drop tanks

Airwaves or Pavla ejector seat. (Martin Baker Mk.10)

The undercarraige is not great and this would best be replaced. Again I understand that a resin set is due out very soon.

Other sets which are in production are:

Aden gun pods

Missile rails and missiles

Cockpit set

Model Alliance have 4 FA2 decal sets as well.

MA-72107 Standard schemes

MA-72137 801 Sqn final scheme

MAS-729007 800 Sqn retirement scheme

MAS-729008 Blue special retirement scheme.

That resin set "due out very soon" wouldn't be from AviationWorkshop by chance? Please! Please!

I have got the new Xtrakit FA2 and whilst this is a good starting point, the following would really help.

Pavla Dropped flaps set

Pavla Intakes

Model Alliance large drop tanks

Airwaves or Pavla ejector seat. (Martin Baker Mk.10)

The undercarraige is not great and this would best be replaced. Again I understand that a resin set is due out very soon.

Other sets which are in production are:

Aden gun pods

Missile rails and missiles

Cockpit set

Model Alliance have 4 FA2 decal sets as well.

MA-72107 Standard schemes

MA-72137 801 Sqn final scheme

MAS-729007 800 Sqn retirement scheme

MAS-729008 Blue special retirement scheme.