sea harrier

goose

Question i have a book which says the FA2 has extra pylons for the ASRAM aswell as aden cannons? the airfix kit shows it as an either option, who is correct?

SHARs carried AMRAAM not ASRAAM.

Two could be fitted under the fuselage instead of the Aden cannon, or 2 could be carried on the outer wing pylons.

Believe the wing position was preferred because it placed less stress on the missile (vibration/heat etc) thus extending its serviceable life.

It was possible to carry 2 AMRAAMs on the wings and 2 Aden cannon bneath the fuselage at the same time.

HTH

FredT

Edited by gengriz

Question i have a book which says the FA2 has extra pylons for the ASRAM aswell as aden cannons? the airfix kit shows it as an either option, who is correct?

The FA2 Could carry AIM-120 AMRAAM on belly pylons (instead of ADEN) or on the outer wing pylons instead of the AIM-9M Sidewinder. If AIM 9s occupied the outer wing pylons, ADEN pods were often fitted as well. The ADEN gun was rarely fired in the latter stages of the Sea Harrier's career.

Andrew

I quite liked the sound of a proposed mod to the aircraft (never carried out) that would have added an uprated engine and wingtip launch rails to the jet. You could then potentially have had the SHAR FA.3, with 2 ASRAAMs, 2 bombs, 2 tanks and 2 AMRAAMS.

Would have been an interesting one...

The Aden pods were often fitted even when not used, as their shape/position helped to increase the lift from the nozzles in the hovver - on the GR7/9/AV-8B there was/is a large strake that could be used instead of the guns to the same effect; for the SHAR/GR1/3/AV-8A there was a smaller strake arrangement that could be fitted, but the guns were usually just left on instead.

FWIW, something that I have noticed is that published pics of 800 Sqn SHAR2s most often show the AMRAAMS on the wings, with Aden guns on the belly. 801 Sqn seem to have preferred the fuselage AMRAAM position instead, with Sidewinders on the wing stations. 899 aircraft were rarely seen armed. Might not reflect real operational choices and may simply reflect dates of the phots, but that is what I chose for my SHAR2 builds.