Canberra PR7 (B6) Tech documents

bexwh773

The stretch is only fitted to the PR variants; the overall fuselage length of the B2 and B6 were the same. All this means of course that the forthcomong Airfix B2 cannot be made as a B20 as this was based on the B6 rather than the 2. I wonder if anyone has told Airfix?

Tony :clif:

The B20 was essentially a B2 with integral leading edge wing fuel tanks which means that you'll only need to rescribe a few panels lines on the wings although I suspect Airfix may miss this if the B2 kits have RAAF decals included.

The B2, B20 and PR3 where all 63' 11.5" in length.

The PR7 was 66' 8" in length.

Source : English Electric Canberra - Bruce Barrymore Halfpenny

The B2, B20 and PR3 where all 63' 11.5" in length.

The PR7 was 66' 8" in length.

Source : English Electric Canberra - Bruce Barrymore Halfpenny

Hey Rich,

Ive got Bea's book and he states all were 65' 6" in length except the PR3's & PR7's which are 66' 8" :hmmm:

Bex

Hey Rich,

Ive got Bea's book and he states all were 65' 6" in length except the PR3's & PR7's which are 66' 8" :hmmm:

Bex

Wierd stuff....I'm investigsting as I always thoufght that a 7 was longer than a 3.

Ta for the headsup.

Wierd stuff....I'm investigsting as I always thoufght that a 7 was longer than a 3.

Ta for the headsup.

Subtitles for those that dont speak Phreak&Bexy ease, Im referring to "English Electric Canberra, by Roland Beamont & Arthur Reed"

Got me stumped too, however, arent the hatches & bays the same? Apart from No.6 fuel tank?

Bex

Subtitles for those that dont speak Phreak&Bexy ease, Im referring to "English Electric Canberra, by Roland Beamont & Arthur Reed"

Got me stumped too, however, arent the hatches & bays the same? Apart from No.6 fuel tank?

Bex

My brain HURTS!!

outch1.gif

What is the TRUE story?

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Bex

I stand totally corrupted, seems like reference books can be wrong and one musn't argue against Bea and Bex! 65'6" .......it is by a fair few googles which confirm this.

I've learnt something tonight as I had it in mind to do a PR3 (231 OCU) from a B2 ...plans must change!

I have it heard that there will be converions for the Airfix Canberras (1/48 and 1/72)...there is an agreement in place for one company to do 1/48 conversions and another for 1/72. I won't mention the companies involved as it's only hearsay at the moment. I dare sya it will come out of the woodwork at the Nats.

I MUST?will do a PR7 if it's the last kit I do.

Edited by PHREAK

I stand totally corrupted, seems like reference books can be wrong and one musn't argue against Bea and Bex! 65'6" .......it is by a fair few googles which confirm this.

I've learnt something tonight as I had it in mind to do a PR3 (231 OCU) from a B2 ...plans must change!

I have it heard that there will be converions for the Airfix Canberras (1/48 and 1/72)...there is an agreement in place for one company to do 1/48 conversions and another for 1/72. I won't mention the companies involved as it's only hearsay at the moment. I dare sya it will come out of the woodwork at the Nats.

Glad I could help Rich :thumbsup2: Personally Im with you, I wouldnt argue with Bea either :worthy:

If it makes you feel better Ive already built a PR7 kit :tease: Oh and after Chrimbo, Im converting an Airfix B (i) 6 into a proper T22

As for conversions, I'll wait and see what happens then :pray:

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Rich, Larry & Tony,

The truth is out there........... Ok, I will dig out my B2 manual asap and compare the diagrams and study my books to actually find out where this extra 14 inches comes into play because I havent actually worked that out yet, and this will also explain Aeroclubs instructions on how to use the their fuselage.

Larry, if your brain hurts now, wait till you start trying to work out how to model some of the oddball Canberras, Im still putting together notes on how Im gonna build a 51 Sqn Dustbin, now that hurts :crying:

Tony, hope this sort of answers your questions for now until I find the definate answer.

Bex

Rich, Larry & Tony,

The truth is out there........... Ok, I will dig out my B2 manual asap and compare the diagrams and study my books to actually find out where this extra 14 inches comes into play because I havent actually worked that out yet, and this will also explain Aeroclubs instructions on how to use the their fuselage.

Larry, if your brain hurts now, wait till you start trying to work out how to model some of the oddball Canberras, Im still putting together notes on how Im gonna build a 51 Sqn Dustbin, now that hurts :crying:

Tony, hope this sort of answers your questions for now until I find the definate answer.

Bex

IIRC, the 14" plug is an insert forward of the wings and behind the cockpit which houses the side looking cameras. John Adams will confirm this as th Aeroclub 1/48 canberra can 'easily' be stretched by a simple refit of the forward cockpit section in the kit.

Get yer tape measure out on 773 Bex!

IIRC, the 14" plug is an insert forward of the wings and behind the cockpit which houses the side looking cameras. John Adams will confirm this as th Aeroclub 1/48 canberra can 'easily' be stretched by a simple refit of the forward cockpit section in the kit.

Get yer tape measure out on 773 Bex!

That would make sense Rich, especially with No. 6 Fuel tank there too, along with all the equipment slung in that forward lower bay. Also thinking about it, the centre and rear fuselage already has the 5 fuel tanks and the rear equipment bay which wouldnt allow any extension.

Bex

BTW Bexy....search ebay and put in 'Canberra manual'....there's an ops manual for BI6/PR7 from Oz on a disc!

Got that one, pm me ya snail mail :whistle:

Bex

I thought this pic might help a bit:

yv4p6b.jpg

Yes that is my bright orange backside, and no my bum doesnt look big in that :tease::rofl:

If anyone wants the hi res "I dont need a magnifying glass" version, drop me an email addy via PM :thumbsup2:

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

So IIRC B2/PR£ v B6/PR7 - excluding fuselage lengths on the PRs, the difference is the fairing at the front of the engine fans, yes?

Off the top of my head and not enough caffine answer is, the engines were different, different number of fuel tanks, electrical & avionics fits.

Bex

Bex

Bex,

You mean like the Canberra PR.10? :evil_laugh:

PR10.jpg

Bex

Or how about thie "infamous" Triple Canberra?

Triple_Canberra.JPG

If anyone ever needs anything PDF'd please feel free to send it through to me, I have the offending piece of software at work.

• 1 year later...
That'll be useful when the new airfix B2 eventually hits the streets, Bex. I wonder if anyone will produce a "plug" so we can model a PR version.

Tony :clif:

am in the act of producing a PR3 from the Airfix B2 in 1/48th scale. I have manufactured and fitted the 14inch plug and cut out the four camera ports in the forward fuselage. Also have the ports cut out in the rear fuselage. I intend to use the Aeroclub transparencies for the canopy and the nose glazing. I am at present figuring out how to sort the bomb bay out into the lower fuel tank and the photo-flash bay. I can use the existing bomb bay bulkheads but will have think about the rest. The Airfix B2 kit also supplies enough bits for a B6 so therefore a PR7 can be produced in the same way as the PR3.

Les.B.

Hi Phreak,

If you have the Airfix B2 1/48th kit which also makes into a B6 the just add the 14" extention to the forward fuselage aft of the transport joint and and modify the bomb bay for the lower fuel tank and the flare bay. Make the rest of the aircraft as per box that is a B2 for a PR3 and a B6 for a PR7. The wing integral tanks are already marked on the Airfix wing and do not need any rescribing just the yellow or black markings on completion of your aint job

Les.B.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bex,

Scans are great. Do you have any that show an external view of the camera doors and difference in the bomb bay doord for the PR.7?

I'm planning to build either a 1/48 PR.3 or PR.7 (or both) used in RAFG, so many squadrons to choose from but thinking about an 80Sqn PR.7 and maybe a 69Sqn PR.3.

I'm also available if you need any help with the scanning/conversion to pdf.

Cheers

John C

XVTonker :pilot: