Hasegawa Draken

Quick q...

The lens underneath the cockpit (bluey colour) how did tou achieve that? looks like a clar part, but i dont think it is in the kit!

Hi!

The lens is supplied as a clear part. But don't bother painting it clear blue, the lens of the IR-probe appears to be black...

I took some closeups of the J-35J at Säve (Gothenburg), to use for reference when I get to build my J-35. But that aircraft had the cover put over the lens...

Edited by Dragon knight

Thanks Guys, rather pleased with how this one turned out, one of my best efforts to date I think.

Fantastic build! I want to do mine in the grey colour scheme also. Something about those day glo serials! ;)

Quick q...

The lens underneath the cockpit (bluey colour) how did tou achieve that? looks like a clar part, but i dont think it is in the kit!

The lens is clear in the kit, I painted it with Tamiya Clear Blue then future.

That is a lovely build Greg. Did you have any trouble with the tail joint? I am building the same kit at the moment and am having loads of trouble getting a decent joint.

Geoff

I did have a little trouble with the back end. What I did was enlarge the slot in the back of the main fuselage assembly, then only glue the top and bottom edges of parts C4 & C5. When dry I wedged the tab section open (with plastic card) to force the parts into a better match between the two assemblies. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Greg

Thanks Guys, rather pleased with how this one turned out, one of my best efforts to date I think.

The lens is clear in the kit, I painted it with Tamiya Clear Blue then future.

Geoff

I did have a little trouble with the back end. What I did was enlarge the slot in the back of the main fuselage assembly, then only glue the top and bottom edges of parts C4 & C5. When dry I wedged the tab section open (with plastic card) to force the parts into a better match between the two assemblies. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Greg

that makes perfect sense Greg. Wish I had thought of that. I put a belt of filler round the joint and sanded it back. Not got a perfect joint but its not too bad.

Hi Greg - i can only echo what others have said - Luurrvvley!!

And the photography is great too.

1 question if I may - the greys seem very light in the photos, and the tone of the pics is warm. Just wondering on the first bit what you used for the greys, and on the latter - whether its a light temperature thing.

I pondered ages on how to get my Draken to look like the pictures. Yours matches s the air to air pics very well, but seems a wee bit pale for the ground shots. No criticism intended - just wondering how you arrived on your choice of colours. ( I chickened out of going this light on mine - but again I'd be interested to hear from you if its the photos or the paint that make it appear this light)

One again - top build - and cheers for the tip on the rear fuselage join - useful advice for my next one.

drakfin4.jpg

Here's mine for comparison

Cheers - up the Drakenistas!

Jonners

Hi Greg - i can only echo what others have said - Luurrvvley!!

And the photography is great too.

1 question if I may - the greys seem very light in the photos, and the tone of the pics is warm. Just wondering on the first bit what you used for the greys, and on the latter - whether its a light temperature thing.

I pondered ages on how to get my Draken to look like the pictures. Yours matches s the air to air pics very well, but seems a wee bit pale for the ground shots. No criticism intended - just wondering how you arrived on your choice of colours. ( I chickened out of going this light on mine - but again I'd be interested to hear from you if its the photos or the paint that make it appear this light)

One again - top build - and cheers for the tip on the rear fuselage join - useful advice for my next one.

Here's mine for comparison

Cheers - up the Drakenistas!

Jonners

Hi Jon

I think the photographs have made the Draken look a bit lighter than it is in the plastic. It’s photographed under a daylight balanced ring fluorescent using a Nikon Coolpix 4500.

There does seem to be some differing opinions on what the colours should be, although most references seem to suggest that the colours are the same as the Viggens so I went with colours suggested on the Two Bobs Viggen decal sheet. Its painted in Xtracolor enamels X136 (FS16375) for the upper surface and X139 (FS16495) underneath although I have used lightened and darkened versions of both colours to give it a subtly shaded appearance.

Thanks for the compliments. I think Hasegawa should take some of the credit, as it really is a cracking kit, I’ve only got five more in the stash!!

Cheers

Greg