Spanish Civil War - Fascinating!

Cometracer

The T-28 was based on the chassis of the Vickers 6-Ton Tanks which is a different Tank to the Vickers light Tank.

The T-26 was based on the Vickers 6Ton.....The T-28 was a very different beast and was alleged to have been inspired by the much earlier multi-turreted Vickers A1E1 Independent.

Vickers Light Tank MkVI - Not used in Spain

vickersmkVI.jpg

T-26 - This is the one you want!

T26-Vickers.jpg

T-28 - Not used in Spain

Fin-T28-JanneTirkkonen.jpg

All the best

Sgt.S

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks to all for the Vickers clarification- much appreciated

Some sad, but in a way pertinent news.

My great uncle, who was more of a grandfather to me, has passed away peacefully.

He took part in some of the marches against the rise of facism in Europe in the 1930´s and in support of the Republican (is that right?) side in the SCW. He attempted to travel to Spain to fight facism more than once but was turned back, probably luckily for the family.

On occasion we would sit and talk and he opened my eyes to seeing the world in a different perspective and he was fascinated by Spanish history.

So my builds will be in dedication to his memory.

sorry to hear of your sad loss Christian. My condolences to you and tour family.

He was a witness to turbulent times. you were lucky to have had his stories told.

I've just received my future contribution:

photo_32.jpg

Waiting now for the big ed PE.

I'm still looking for the Swedish option seen on the box top!

:whistle:

Two options concerning the SCW, one two tone, and one three tone.

Painting the camo will be a nightmare...

:wow: .....I've been Blimped! :clap2:

:mike:

Cheers Blimp! :D

It looks like I'll be building quite a variety of teeny tanks, both Nationalist and Republican.....Absolute certainties are a pair of T-26 1933s, one for each side, one from the Mirage kit and one from the SKIF/Unimodel equivalent. I'm also very tempted by the Attack Pz I Ausf A, even though I know it will be a pain in the neck to build and will probably look wonky once it's done.

I'd quite like to try my hand at some armoured cars too.....The Unimodel BA-6 is very much on the cards and I might have a pop at the ACE FAI-M too (Is this the right one for Spain?).

All the best

(A very chuffed) Sgt.S

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I might have a pop at the ACE FAI-M too (Is this the right one for Spain?).

hope so Sarge looks really cool

Hi Blimp

AGGGHHHH ! it's THAT scheme too ! no , it's not black/white ! . . . .

have seen the markings could have been red and cream- or is it that scheme whatever the colour you object too?

hiya walrus . - yes , it's the famous sunburst scheme , 14*34 when it was flown by grupo 7-g-14 . there's at least three colours used . :deadhorse: no one knows what they were . the He 70 was quickly passed on to the spannish , as it's bomb load was feeble , and it's speed advantage was lost as soon as they met the I-15 & I-16 . this scheme is reminicent of a pre war flying display team , and as the 'rayo' was a passenger/post/bomber i doubt that it was used for acrobatics . - ( yellow and red is the spannish national flag though ! - not for a spannish post war parade , going by a photo of it on a rough airfield with an early Do 17 in the background ) known colours are white + black , the third is the mystery . maybe it was one of the camoflage green shades ? patrick laureau suggests in his book that it may only have been the standard scheme of light grey and black that was overpainted . unless of course icm have found more infomation from other sources ! perhaps somebody noted the colours at the time , it was a striking scheme , and has come forward . could we finally find out for sure ? btw. heres a picture of the kit scheme - http://m.io.ua/img_aa/medium/0775/56/07755617.jpg

Edited by blimp

it was a striking scheme , and has come forward . could we finally find out for sure ?

i guess that's something we'll never know. :unsure:

thanks for the info Blimp. Does look good, but seems the more i think about it and from what you say the scheme does seem to be at odds with discrete camoflauge and combat situations, and more at home in pre/post conflict display.

4c17a429.jpg notice the darker nose fa6fcd26.jpg the kit colour scheme misses the 'mickey mouse ears' at the wing root , the 3rd photo won't reproduce cleanly for some reason , but it clearly shows the lower fuselage stripe as black and there are NO white wingtips as was usual . sorry to nit pick , i sound like i'm slagging it off , i'm not , it's a great kit - i will be buying it ! :yahoo: the kit researchers just seem to have missed available material , thats all . this one is still a real bugbear ! p.s. as it was the flight leaders machine , was it painted this way as a formation aid ? Edited by blimp

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Cremation will be on Monday the 9th IF the weather holds...

gcn and Walrus,

The latest reboxing of the ex-Matchbox He-70 does have a SCW scheme. It appears to be the same as the original Matchbox boxing without the all blue nose. Got one for Christmas and have been looking at it with itchy fingers.

Christian the Married

Hi Christian

i do beg your pardon- for some reason i thought there were Luftwaffe markings but there is indeed an option for the Nationalist aircraft 1938 :oops:

all the best for next Monday

Hi Blimp

The sun burst on the fin looks dark also - would that be black too? seems identical in the pic to the lower fuselage stripe and the St andrew's Cross. caveats about interpreting colours from b/w pics an all but ...

BTW the ICM box art is ambiguous and calls the F2 a recce 'plane

hello walrus , no the sunburst on the fin is the same shade as the rest of the topside colour . the photo dosn't show it well as it is in shade .if you have patrick laureaus condor book there is a decent picture on pg 50 that shows it clearly , the nose is also different from the first photo ! :hmmm:

hey ho , paint it pink ! nobody can say you're wrong ! :rofl: this scw stuff isn't as easy as it first seems , i'm trying to sort a dustbin out for my ju 52 , and i passed up a 1/48 one at milton keynes last week - £15 ! it has the 'bin , but i can't really justify spending that just to see the set up :P - i'll sneak a peek at one next time i pop down the shop . - researching builds tends to put these subjects on the ' to do ' shelf . hence my stash :D onward and upward !

hello walrus , no the sunburst on the fin is the same shade as the rest of the topside colour . the photo dosn't show it well as it is in shade .if you have patrick laureaus condor book there is a decent picture on pg 50 that shows it clearly , the nose is also different from the first photo ! :hmmm:

Hi blimp

yup- see what you mean

have you found out any info on the dustbin?

also the Monocoupe- there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info about its service in the SCW-

was hoping to dress up the office a bit. More modern versions seem to have the same colour interior as the outside. so unless something else crops up will have to go with that.

Back to the He 70 do you know what the panel is behind the window please? it looks like some sort of metal panel with holes cut out?

yes mate , i did a little begging / lurking on the web and came up with theses - http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/a...pg?t=1234294433 http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/a...pg?t=1234294519 http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/a...pg?t=1234294570 - i havn't any idea about the recess in the fuselage yet , or the m/g mount , bomb sight etc. but i'll keep digging . as for the perforated panel in the front window of the '70 , i think that'll be the sides of the vertical bomb rack showing . getting there ! :yahoo:

Edited by blimp