Spanish Civil War - Fascinating!

Cometracer

Hi,

Richard West lead a Spanish Civil War Special Interest Group of IPMS(UK) some years back and the display was fantastic. There are so many types and, of course, they are all early versions, making the project that much more interesting. I would be interested in participating and could offer something in 1/72 scale.

-As an aside, the 1930's offers such a wealth of subject matter, the equipment used by the Chinese in the 1930's is of equal interest and even more eclectic.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I had this idea for a GB suggested to me the other week from another source. If there were sufficient interest we could be persuaded to run with this with a start date coinciding with the 70th anniversary of the end of the conflict, that is April 2008. If you're up for it then post here so we can gauge interest.

peebeep

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm odd one!

Not many things stashed that fits, the Cant Z-506, He 115, Junkers F 13, 52...

Meant to be a new tool He 70 coming out that I'm keeping an eye out for.

A surprisingly large list included from that linked site, I'd be happy to do something.

If I can get my life straightened out by then count me in!

Lots of different aircraft in many unusual and exotic schemes.

Just what I like!

Christian the Married

Hi Stebos

Meant to be a new tool He 70 coming out that I'm keeping an eye out for.

who is bring this out please? not sure i will get one though as i already have 2 or 3 Revell boxings in the stash.

There is an attractive scheme black 14*34-with blue on metal(?) i wouldn't mind having a crack at sometime:

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/codes.html

Edit: just read the following re colours-

An intriguing exception to the above "rules" were the Heinkel He 70s of A/88 of the Condor Legion (see left), which were painted in a contrasting sunburst design on the upper surfaces, although it's not clear what colours were involved (I would guess that they were cream and red-brown, like some German aerobatic display aircraft of the 1930s, although other authors suggest they were white and blue, as in the profile below.).
Edited by walrus

Hi Stebos

who is bring this out please? not sure i will get one though as i already have 2 or 3 Revell boxings in the stash.

I don't rightly recall *who* it was, it was a passing reference I'd spotted some weeks ago. There was meant to a 1/48 one from HiPM, but I don't build in that scale.

• 4 weeks later...

that would be a real pity Peebeeb.

seems odd to me that this episode of European history is given so little coverage.

There has been nothing as far as i have seen in the media covering the events. the anniversary even of Geurnica has gone with hardly a mention.

looks like the bell tolls for the SCW GB

Edited by walrus

seems odd to me that this episode of European history is given so little coverage.

There has been nothing as far as i have seen in the media covering the events. the anniversary even of Geurnica has gone with hardly a mention.

I agree. This is becoming a forgotten conflict, and one in which many volunteers gave their lives fighting for their beliefs! (Of course, some thought fascism was a pretty good idea too :thumbsdown: )

Anyway, I don't have anything in my modest stash which would be suitable, BUT I'd make the effort to buy something in order to support a GB.

I'd be up for the Group Build.

An excellent book on the war and its causes is Anthony Beever's "The Battle for Spain" - its a bit long but well written and explains as clearly as can be the rather confused nature of what was a really bitter and sad war. The Spanish are only really just starting to reconcile themselves with some of its nastier acts even today, so it remains for many there an undiscussed subject.

To give you an idea of the amount of money that a lot of countries made out of the Spanish during the fighting - Hermann Goring was selling arms to the Republican government (via front companies) at vastly inflated prices at the same time as he was sending the Condor Legion to assist Franco. The Soviets basically ripped off the Republican Governments gold reserves, anD the UK and France didnt really want to get involved at all, apart form selling arms that is.

As civil wars go - it was one of the nastier ones in my opinions

This web site lists some fascinating aircraft that took part as well as some that may have. as i said above there are some good colour shemes as well

there is also (thankfully) a list of models- though there are probably a few that could be added

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/...n/scwmodel.html

Blimey - that is one helluva website!!! :o The guy clearly knows his stuff.

I've already came upon this web page some times ago, when I did came back to modelling.

There were already talks about a GB on some other forum (Don't remember which), but I really didn't feel like participating at the time, as I was too inexperienced.

Today, I feel more than ready.

I wouldlike to go for some Potez 540, or a Vildebeest.

But the first are very hard to find, and i don't know about a model for the second.

So instead I think I'll go for a Lockheed 9D Orion, and an SM-79.

Still, the choice is very difficult!

Hmm there are so many to choose from, but I quite the looks of the GAL 25 Monospar. I might plump for this little kit:

AZUR3472-150.jpg

There's a Special Hobby too; probably a better kit, but the Azur comes with the Repubican decals.

I think I'll go for either a Bristol Bulldog ( impact 1/48th - in the stash already) or an I-16 "mosca": while the following schme may be a little spurious

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/jo...16%2023%20G.jpg

I've always liked it. Eduard I-16 in stash with Civil war decals form Microscale already 'embedded'

Count me in if it gets enough impetus

Juanners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Well, considering the general interest here regarding "exotic" subjects (I'm not complaining at all, everybody does what he/she wants), and I've been there with my last finished build, I suggest that we run an unofficial GB anyway, at the date already agreed.

This could be very simple, with a basic thread of welcome, with a post regularly edited with links to every entry, and another with useful linkies.

And then another thread with finished builds, and that's all.

Also, as a mean to support each other, each member could add a link in his siggie to every other member's builds.

Jon, excellent choice for the bulldog, I may get an 1/72 airfix one, and very cheap.

Also looking for an Hs-126 and a Ju-86...

But I know that I must restrict myself, or I'm good for another KUTA GB!!!